Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Seeds

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!
    Originally posted by Captain Zymmer

CRYSTAL CLEAR
    [...]
    Boy, I have no idea for a plot here, but the first thing that came to mind when I read that adventure seed title was the phrase "clear as mud", and then that quickly became:
    "Clear As Mudd"
    Again, I have no idea for a plot, but sometimes a title is all you need to generate an idea.
    Any takers?
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Originally posted by mactavish
    Title: The Collector
    Series Type: Exploration
    Description: While exploring a distant system, the PCs encounter an alien vessel many times larger that any they've encountered or read about (Size 50+).
    The object captures their vessel and begins to make it part of itself, in effect assimilating their ship. Though they manage to get shields up, it's only a matter of time before they're forever trapped.
    Exploring the alien vessel, they find terrariums constructed for the thousands of other sentient beings captured and their descendants imprisoned. Many familliar and unfamilliar races will be found (including Gamma and Delta Qadrant species).
    Further searching reveals the AI responsible for the vessel's mission. The ship is eons old, traveling at very low speed (slower-than-light), capturing and adding aliens from ships and planets to its colelction. The computers are degrading and have lost track of where it came from and why it's collecting.
    The PCs must not only escape, but determine the nature of the Collector and help it (?) and/or put an end to its mission and/or relocate the many intelligent beings aboard the vessel.
    another question to be resolved: are some of these trapped species too dangerous to let loose?
    on the opposite end of things, maybe these "colonies" of people in their terrariums ahve figured out how to communicate with each other,a nd over time many or all have overcome whatever differences they may have had. When freed, a lot of them want to go back to their respective homeworlds, but many want to form a new colony composed of a wide variety of these alien races, some of whom were once enemies.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Originally posted by Captain Zymmer
    Title: Mind's Eye
    The player's ship comes across the ruins of an ancient civilization...in the centre of the "city" is a large sculptor of somekind, but it turns out to be a computer or machine...psionically pwoered, it activates and the characters are suddenly emboiled in the last days of the civilization, as outsiders? natural disaster? etc claim the planet. While there is nothing to win, or defeat, it may be a good chance to do some serious role-playing as the players interact with the people, who just come out of no where.
    Just a seed, anyone want to help it grow?
    Well, here's a twist: what if the statue is of someone (or something) the PCs recognize - a historical (or fictional/mythological) figure from earth or (*gasp*) one of the PCs!!! Obviously there would be some kind of outside influence on the culture at some point in it's past...
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

This thread has been stuck!

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    "Mudd in your eye!"
    How about this for overused cliche?
    The players' ship finds a huge derelict starship, upon investigating it, they find a cryo/stasis/whatchamacalit chamber with one H.F. Mudd in suspended animation (he froze himself by accident when exploring the ship and dreaming of all the credits he was going to make on this salvage). The PC thaw him out (hopefully not knowing who he is, he'll use an alias as soon as he can speak) and the narrator can ham it up until the PCs figure out who they have unleashed on the 24th century. Throw in the usual surprises to be found on a huge alien spacecraft and this could be a little bit of a breather from saving the universe every week.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Originally posted by Pope
    Bump.

Grrrrr - I spent 1/2 an hour on a seed but the system must have logged me out and I just lost it all. Here's a short version.

Title: Enemy Mine (based on the book)
    Era: Any
    Setting: Planetary/Starship

[...]

PS - anyone like the book/move? Loved the book, turned the movie off after 1/2-an-hour of really bad SFX.

Pope.
    I liked it - the bad sfx are mostly in the beginning. Good performances, and looking back it's sorta like "Castaway" (a good deal of time passes during the course of the movie) but with two enemies and in space.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Re: A random mental misfire!

I was wondering if there was a way to work the Borg into my TOS Movie-era game in a fresh way. Surely there's a way the Borg could have gotten farther faster in the Mirror Universe?

Originally posted by selek
    TITLE: Shattered Mirror
    ERA: Preferably Dominion warTNG
    STORY TYPE: Exploration

The PCs are on a routine patrol when they detect strange temporal/subspace distortions emanating from a nearby system. A quick detour and some brief sensor scans indicate there is a starship crashed on the surface, apparently Borg in origin, but there is a subtle difference in the quantum signature of the Borg vessel.
    Beaming down to find out what's going on, the PCs determine that the wreck is that of a small Borg scout, and the surviving drones (desperately trying to make contact with the Collective) are the PCs themselves.
    In the (a?) Mirror Universe, the Borg have run rampant through the Alpha Quadrant, assimilating most of the Terran Empire a/o the Cardassian/Klingon Alliance (depending upon which timeline you favor.)
    Having been captured and assimilated, the PC's evil counter-parts were cheerfully wreaking havoc when the Empire or Alliance cobbled together a new super-weapon which shattered (at least locally) the collective and ,as a by-product, tossed the evil-PCs into our space-time continuum to crash on the planet.

Who the heck are these Borg who look so much like us?

How will the PCs deal with their assimilated (and ultimately-evil) counterparts?

What lies will they be told in the meantime?

Can Star Fleet get their hands on a similar weapon? Would they use it?
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

<b>Belly of the Beast</b>

<b>Recommended Series Type:</b> Starship, Exploration

<b>Description:</b> While investigating a strange plasma trail heading straight through Cardassian space, the PCs encounter a massive vessel reminiscent of an enormous garbage scow. Closer investigation reveals that the "ship" is actually a melange of hundreds, perhaps thousands of other ships.

The PCs suddenly find themselves captured by the ship's powerful tractor beams and "ingested" by the leviathan. Further scans indicate that their computer core's database has been scoured and that nanites are slowly devouring their vessel, using the base materials to create something completely different, adding on to the ship that captured them.

Can the PCs discover the nature of their captors? Can they escape with their ship? <i>With their lives?</i>

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Question Adventure Seeds 2003

Maybe I am the only one who is bothered by this, but I think that this thread has gotten a little bit too long. Therefore I thought that we could start a new adventure seeds thread every year, making everything much more clearly arranged and it would also be nice to look back and see what kind of ideas got posted in a specific year.
    I already have two adventure seeds ready to post, but first I wanted to have some additional opinions on this.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Originally posted by Michael Barratt
    Title: "Flashforward,"...
    Read this book...not bad.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Re: Adventure Seeds 2003

Originally posted by Ergi
    Maybe I am the only one who is bothered by this, but I think that this thread has gotten a little bit too long. Therefore I thought that we could start a new adventure seeds thread every year, making everything much more clearly arranged and it would also be nice to look back and see what kind of ideas got posted in a specific year.
    I already have two adventure seeds ready to post, but first I wanted to have some additional opinions on this.
    I rather prefer having it like this - I've subscribed to the thread, and like viewing it whenever someone adds to it.

Michael Barratt
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Originally posted by qerlin
    Read this book...not bad.
    I adore Robert Sawyer. I was trying to think of some ideas born out of his new trilogy (of which two are so far written), but haven't gotten them to fruition yet...

Michael Barratt
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

I know, it's too long.

Quarantine

Series Type: Exploration
    Era: Any but TOS

The adventure starts a couple of days after the players’ ship has been docked to a trading station of an apparently friendly alien species called the Grofma which has developed warp drive less than a century ago. A total of 18 relatively small vessels of various types appear on the ship’s sensors approaching fast from behind. All are Grofmian with only light or even no armament at all. As soon as the fleet is identified by the crew Dr. Terek Azar, head of the Grofmian disease control center, hails them from the lead ship. He informs the crew that an outbreak of Colinas plague has been detected on the trading station shortly after the players departed. At the same time he transmits a DNA structure sample of the virus causing the plague, so that the ship’s doctor can check the crew for infection. A quick tricorder scan reveals that everyone on the bridge is infected. Dr. Azar asks the captain to stop his vessel and let the Grofmian doctors come aboard in order to help finding a cure and prevent further spreading the disease.
    The crew has indeed and intentionally been infected by a virus on board the station, but it isn’t fatal as claimed by Dr. Azar. However, once the incubation period is over, it makes the victim feel bad enough to believe in the possibility of a fatal outcome. The symptoms should start shortly after the Grofma arrived. Dizziness, headaches and a lack of muscle tonus become worse every day, incurring a –1 penalty for all tests within the first 8 hours, -2 within the next 8 hour period, and so on until 72 hours have passed and the penalty decreases by one for every hour passed.
    When the Grofma get on the ship they are wearing full body bio protection suits and carrying a lot of equipment. Once they are on board they want to begin examining the crew as quickly as possible. The examination confirms that everybody is infected. Dr. Azar claims it would be best to isolate the nonessential crew members in their quarters since the virus tends to mutate very quickly. After the symptoms have become worse the other crew members are send to their quarters as well. Only the medical staff is allowed to continue their work without any protests by the doctor.
    The Grofma could be paid by a more powerful race or be acting own. Their real intent could be anything from getting access to secret data, to stealing equipment or even the whole ship. In the latter case they want to break all command codes before getting rid of the crew.
    No matter what their intention, somehow the PCs find out what is going on and they have to find a way to fight off the invaders controlling all key areas.
    Emphasize the PCs’ helplessness at the beginning of the adventure, they are the victims, unable to help themselves. Imagine how the people in Outbreak must have felt, that’s what I mean.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Smile My second adventure seed, I keep my promises.

Working Title: (Evil) Stargate

(I'm not proud of this. Suggestions are welcome. This is just to know what I'm talking about.)

Type: Exploration
    Era: Any

The player's vessel passes near an inhabited star system with two class M planets. One is inhabited by a early 21th century Earth equivalent race ruled by a sort of imperialistic US. The other inhabitable planet used to be colonized by the Iconians and they have left an operational gateway behind. This has been discoverd by a scout team and their superiors have been informed about it. One of the locations constantly appearing in the gateway is the players' ship. The rulers have decided that these aliens pose a serious threat and decided to attack and if necessary destroy them. A sub-light vessel with an A bomb is under way to reinforce the troops protecting the gateway as the first scouts are sent to the vessel.
    Keep in mind that the race hasn't developed Warp flight, yet, and therefore is protected by the first directive.

I have to add that this adventure is not meant political in any way. I had the idea for it before the war started and the reason why I used the term US was simply because the US armed forces is the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about the best equipped and trained soldiers.

Re: My second adventure seed, I keep my promises.

Originally posted by Ergi
    A sub-light vessel with an A bomb is under way to reinforce the troops protecting the gateway as the first scouts are sent to the vessel.
    Honestly, just remove the references to "a sort of imperialistic US" and it becomes much less political and a whole lot more like a simple swiping of a movie plot. Everyone who's seen Stargate will know what you're talking about, and if they want to insert their own political message they'll do so.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune