Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Seeds

Praise and a new adventure seed

Ghostly, very nice. I have a major Trill NPC who will tie nicely into the plot you've put out here. Definately an excelent episode.

"Big Tribble in Little China"
    Type: Exploration, Shipbased.

The small independant colony of New Shanghai has a problem. Over the last few days Tribbles have been appearing all over the colony and have begun eating their crops. In an era of replicators this is hardly a problem for the people, since food is a button's push away. Except these crops are for sale to a neihbouring species who has come to depend on the supply put out by New Shanghai. The money from the sale of these crops will in turn help the New Shanghai colonists pay the Ferengi Alliance for the planet.

Enter Starfleet. The colonist facing that with harvest close at hand and the tribbles eating the crops at an alarming rate. That they will miss a payment to their landlords and be forced to relocate under the strict rules of their contract with the Ferengi. Have called in Starfleet's assistance. Their call is very unspecific, due calling their problem a 'Biological catastrophe' and such (local pulsar activity garbles much of the message'. So the players ship should arrive with thoughts of plagues or bioweapons, instead they find a colony covered in tribbles. At this point the players should get working on away to remove the tribbles. They should be succesful for a short time in sucessfuly removing the tribbles from the grain at least, before more appear in the feilds and the problems start all over again. The reason for this is Liquidator Molg is in orbit in a cargo shuttle (stats on the Trek RPG page) along with a pair of his flunkies, Dr. Ahrena, an Argellian bioscietist who has been forced by the Ferengi to increase the tribbles rate of reproduction,and a few of these super tribbles in statis. He has hidden his ship in the magnetic feild at the northern pole of the planet and has been quietly beaming the tribbles in from the start. The reason being is that on a recent voyage to New Shanghai his people discovered a high latinum concentration in the planet's crust that had gone unnoticed. But the Ferengi's contract with the colonists was valid for another fifty years and not wanting to wait, he concocted this scheme to force miss a payment to the Alliance and which would allow him to force them from the planet.

Very shortly especially if one studies the tribbles and finds Dr. Ahrena's enhancemnts to them, it will be obvious there is something going on. But before the Ferengi are revealed a Klingon ship decloaks. It too had recieved the transmission from New Shanghai, but upon seeing the tribbles on the colony are in a less than helpful mood. They prepare to fire on the planet and it's up to the players to stop them from destroying the colony. The Klingons will wait for up to 24 hours for Starfleet to remove the Tribbles, (they've called for reinforcments to bomb the planet flat) at which point the investigation should kick into overdrive.

Any inventive plans by the players should work to find the Ferengi and remove the tribbles. GMs discretion of course, it should be suitable to the humours nature of tribble episodes. If the Ferengi are found, they will reveal that they are responsible for the tribbles and one of the Liquidators flunkies will even spill the beans on the latinum. The Klingons will be satisfied if all the tribbles are removed and the destruction of the Ferengi shuttle and the geneticaly modified samples aboard. In the end if the players are able to save the grain or not, they should be able to tap the latinum in the planet with the ship's phasers giving the people of New Shanghai more than enough to pay their Ferengi landlords.

Wow!

Great episode idea!

I love it!

Great job!
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

Title: "Flashforward,"
    Setting: Any

This isn't so much an entire episode seed as it is a mini-theme or an idea to try out that I did and the PCs loved:

During a mission, give the crew an exposure to a temporal anomoly of some kind - and for a minute or two, they're all mentally ahead in time a variable amount of time - but not in physical control of their bodies. Basically, they're in thier bodies, seeing what they'll be doing on that particular date, at that particular time, but only for a few minutes, and with no motor control.

In my game, I used it as a way to set a few seeds for other adventures, so that when things started to happen later, each character would suddenly go, "Oh no, this is the part where the warp core overloads... now how did it happen and how can I stop it?" or "Is today the day I end up naked in front of the bridge staff?" That sort of thing. Adds some fun, and gives you a chance to mess with the notion of predestination vs free will.

One thing I did do was to have one character be in the process of being murdered, with enough visual clues that the poor guy had to be in constant alert for the future killer - and he didn't report what he saw. That has been fun.

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Re: Praise and a new adventure seed

Originally posted by Julius
    Ghostly, very nice. I have a major Trill NPC who will tie nicely into the plot you've put out here. Definately an excelent episode.

"Big Tribble in Little China"
    Type: Exploration, Shipbased.

hehehe... Theres also;

"A Holo-Lot of Tribbles"
    Type; Comedy, Ship-based.

Ensign Mulcahay used to breed tribbles for a hobby, but realising the ecological implications and his career in starfleet, breeding real tribbles simply wasn't a sensible option.

And so he uses the advanced realism algorithms of the holodeck to breed holographic tribbles. However one of these holotribbles has managed to get into the circuitry of the holodeck and deactivate the shutdown. Now the program is running permanently... And the reality subroutines leave them hungry and pregnant...

Its a shame that the ship was recently upgraded with Ship-wide holo-emitters, as the Tribbles proceed to get everywhere in the ship causing a myriad of malfunctions.

Its also a shame that while investigating a rogue comet, that the Holo-tribbles manage to disable the ships propulsion systems leaving the ship a sitting duck in the path of the comet...

Can the crew save the day and clean up the mess? And what do they do with the pleasant, calming tribbles aboard the holodecks???
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

And you people call me evil. Tribbles are most evil thing you can inflict on PCs...OH MY GOD YOU KILLED KENNY...YOU BASTARDS!
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Another Tribble Idea:
    Title: "There's no place like home..."
    Setting: Post DS9's rescue of Tribbles from Extinction

THis is blatantly stolen from "Strange New Worlds," which I got on the bargain pyramid, whoo-hoo, for 7 bucks.

Ahem.

The Tribbles are back, but wow, they need to be put somewhere where they're not going to destroy the ecology. The crew would be assigned to this delicate scientific mission - where they'd have to find a planet with some pretty ravenous predators who could keep the Tribbles in check. Seeding and testing a small area of the planet would be a beginning step, and move onward from there. You can add many many fun side-stories to this: the tribbles escape their cages - the first planet that the crew tries reacts badly to the Tribble presence and it's time to try and beam them all out or catch them all - Klingons are not happy with this notion and try to sabotage and kill the tribbles...

I never quite got the courage up to run a tribble episode, though we're not at the right time-frame in any of my campaigns... I worry about the silly factor making the game unplayable, but braver narrators than myself will likely triumph.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

TITLE: Born to be Kings
    SETTING: Any
    TYPE: Diplomatic

The ship is sent on what is supposed to be a routine port visit/diplomatic mission for the crowning of the new King of planet X (pick your own name). One of the crew is from planet X and is actually in exile because he is the almost identical twin of the crown prince (i'm sure you can see where this is going).

Anyway, evil cousin wants the planet out of the Federation so that he can join up with (villain race) and connives to do away with the crown prince and claim the throne for himself.

As it happens he only manages to wound the crown prince badly (forcing his evacuation to the ship under armed guard). Now if the crown prince doesn't show for the coronation the next day the throne psses to the evil cousin unless of course the crewman who is the King's twin steps in to take his place...can we say PRIME DIRECTIVE VIOLATION here...but do they have a choice. To remove evil cousin forcibly would result in civil war but to let him win would lead to the loss to the Federation of a valuable ally/strategically placed world.

Enjoy.

Love the tribble stories. I've been thinking about running one myself. Haven't figured out any details yet, but I definitely want to have Lwaxana Troi and Klingons involved in it.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

EPISODE TITLE: The Great Tribble Hunt
    ERA: TNG

I expanded on Sarge's basic idea. Its a bit rough but I think we can develop it from here.

Basically Laxawana Troi is sent on a diplomatic mission to Qonos...Ambassador Worf jumps with joy ...Anyway enroute she picks up a tribble...where she got one nobody seems to know but she has one and insists on bringing it to Q'Onos with her and she gets it in her head that it may make an excellent gift for her friend "Woof".

You can guess the effect of one tribble on Q'Onos and after they accidently start breeding (it is a Laxawana Troi episode remember) Chancellor Martok declares the 2nd Great Tribble Hunt and Laxawana tries to stop it...

Speaking Laxawana Troi, I just got it into my head to have an adventure where the various aspects of Majel Barret meet. You know, Number One, Christine Chapel and Laxawana Troi...anyone want to run with this one...it'll be an interesting contrast in characters.

Title: "Withdrawl Pains..."
    Setting: TNG, some point after "Symbiosis."

The Onaran's recover from their "plague" (addiction) and find themselves mightily po'd. THey lived, they clue in rather quickly, and being more tech-oriented than the Brekkans, they managed to get themselves back into space, and launch one heck of an offensive on the Brekkans...

The Brekkans mostly lose, but some manage to grab some ships, and make a break for it. Enter your PCs' ship, and some likely interesting dialogue as they learn about what happened here, and the role that Captain Picard played in setting these two worlds to war...

Tangentally, I introduced this sub-plot by having electro-tossing Brekkans start to show up in the Orion Syndicate, as "hired thugs," who function as enforcers for the Syndicate in payment for how the syndicate supplies Brekka with weapons and ships to fight back the Onarans - who are now starting to lose the war because of the Orion influences/shipments - so then the Ferengi step in on the side of the Onarans... etc etc etc.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,

Originally posted by ghosty
    TITLE: Born to be Kings
    SETTING: Any
    TYPE: Diplomatic

The ship is sent on what is supposed to be a routine port visit/diplomatic mission for the crowning of the new King of planet X (pick your own name). One of the crew is from planet X and is actually in exile because he is the almost identical twin of the crown prince (i'm sure you can see where this is going).

Anyway, evil cousin wants the planet out of the Federation so that he can join up with (villain race) and connives to do away with the crown prince and claim the throne for himself.

As it happens he only manages to wound the crown prince badly (forcing his evacuation to the ship under armed guard). Now if the crown prince doesn't show for the coronation the next day the throne psses to the evil cousin unless of course the crewman who is the King's twin steps in to take his place...can we say PRIME DIRECTIVE VIOLATION here...but do they have a choice. To remove evil cousin forcibly would result in civil war but to let him win would lead to the loss to the Federation of a valuable ally/strategically placed world.

Enjoy.
    Actually.. . While a good plot (It must be, the number of times this basic plot shows up in classic literature, there are several sub notes;

1 - No Prime Directive Violation. The statement that the evil cousin wants out of the Federation means that there is no meddling in the affairs of a primative culture... If however its a planet on the verge of Federation membership that works better...

2 - This also works better if you can prime a player or get a 'guest star' when reading about the 'Twin'... I was trying to work out how to wedge in the past to an established character... As I feel it would loose effect with an NPC.

However if you have a new character/player, or want to develop the idea later on and are at the beginning of a campaign you can prime the character into your group with a little work...

3 - What if this caharacter more than looks like? This is the 22nd/23rd century, and while the technology exists to disguise an individual both viually and genetically... but what if this exiled character with little knowledge of his own past turns out to be the real twin of the crown prince? What if his/her parents decided to avoid any contention over the throne by revealing the existance of a single child, thus ensuring planetary government and the possibility of Federation membership???

Just some thoughts to develop an excellent idea...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by Dan Gurden

Actually.. . While a good plot (It must be, the number of times this basic plot shows up in classic literature, there are several sub notes;

1 - No Prime Directive Violation. The statement that the evil cousin wants out of the Federation means that there is no meddling in the affairs of a primative culture... If however its a planet on the verge of Federation membership that works better...

2 - This also works better if you can prime a player or get a 'guest star' when reading about the 'Twin'... I was trying to work out how to wedge in the past to an established character... As I feel it would loose effect with an NPC.

However if you have a new character/player, or want to develop the idea later on and are at the beginning of a campaign you can prime the character into your group with a little work...

3 - What if this caharacter more than looks like? This is the 22nd/23rd century, and while the technology exists to disguise an individual both viually and genetically... but what if this exiled character with little knowledge of his own past turns out to be the real twin of the crown prince? What if his/her parents decided to avoid any contention over the throne by revealing the existance of a single child, thus ensuring planetary government and the possibility of Federation membership???

Just some thoughts to develop an excellent idea...
    I know I ripped off a classic, but what the hey...The Prisoner of Zenda was one of my favourites. Some good ideas Dan I'll think about it and polish up the scenario. Thanks

TITLE: Saucer Out of Time

The crew are ordered to do a survey of a newly discovered class M planet. During their intial survey they find the planet uninhabited but they do find hidden under a thousand years of undergrowth the saucer section of a Galaxy-class starship...with a name and registry number that does not exist. Of course this brings in the DTI and the PCs will have to find out which ship had crashed on the planet and why it crashed there 1000 years before it was built?

Originally posted by ghosty
    TITLE: Saucer Out of Time
    I really like the idea behind this one - especially if you were to put said Galaxy Class in Utopia Planetia being built as we speak. A sharp engineer might embed a secret "black box" into the saucer section as it is built, in order to then pull it out of the wreckage and gain a clue or two as to how the damned thing crashed...

And hey - how would you get officers willing to serve on that particular ship? Or would DTI keep it hush-hush among the crew that found the saucer, and no others allowed to know... hrm.

The Doc
    Dance a Tango to Hell,