Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Adventure Seeds

This sounds a lot like how DS9 introduced us to the Dominion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tricorder View Post
    This sounds a lot like how DS9 introduced us to the Dominion.
    I can see that. But instead of it being about military might and spy games, this is going to be a comparison between the Federation and the current view of the American military and police. Keeping the Dominion in my head will be a good reminder of what not to do (since it was already done).

The simplest way to differentiate it would be to not have this Federation-like entity be larger or more technologically advanced than the Federation (which the Dominion was); instead it's at the equivalent level or less of technological achievement, and thus the aliens may see the Federation as an existential threat to its 'way of life.'
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Interesting idea; I've always wondered how the FED would handle an anti or Bizzaro FED. A group of united systems that came together in peace and exploration. As they discover less advanced species, their Prime Directive calls for them to help bring them up closer to their standard of living/tech/culture. For instance, if this group pulled into orbit around 21st century Earth, they would begin a campaign to help us reduce environmental damage, end worldwide violence and poverty, and attempt to prepare Earth to become part of their organization.

I can see that process being like any number of sci-fi movies, but what always makes me smile is when I imagine one of their captains talking to SF captain: "What do you mean you can't interfere? Those people are dying because they don't have the medical knowledge to stop the plague. Ask your Chief Medical and Science officers, Captain. They could cure this disease in a WEEK if you let them. Lucky for these poor people WE WILL CURE THEM!"

Your description sounds a lot like the Tauhai Unity from The Way of D'Era. They share the same basic goals as the UFP, but do not believe in non-intervention.

When I first saw your question about a Bizarro UFP, I immediately thought "We am come in peace. Shoot to kill!" That would be more in keeping with Bizarro from the Superman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    The simplest way to differentiate it would be to not have this Federation-like entity be larger or more technologically advanced than the Federation (which the Dominion was); instead it's at the equivalent level or less of technological achievement, and thus the aliens may see the Federation as an existential threat to its 'way of life.'
    I like this idea. It definitely fits with their feeling about others.