Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Seeds

the watcher

Hello all , here is idea i wrote up at work .

Time frame – any

Location - Starship

Mission – first contact

Act One - The mission is routine patrol of xxx section . A distress call is picked up on sub space from alien known as the Pannoids . The message is very low power , one way . The message is pleaded for help , a sickness is causing mass death .

Background of the race . The pannoids developed on a class “M” planet . The Pannoids are not space travelers , have warp drive , roughly equal to the Fedartion . Their Solar system is guarded robotic warships to keep space ship away . The only contact with the race has been thought the robotic ship . The same message is repeated over and over . “ The creatures of this star system have no wish speak with other . Your vessel is ordered to move two light year away . “

The robotic ships are not senseless killing machines . AI program that allow it take action that it deems required . Crippled ships have been repaired and then send on their way , food supplies and medical aid have been given as well .

__________________________________________________ ______________

GM Imfro.
    The Panniods build a defense system 300 years ago . The defense system was only to stop raiders , warlike race from attacking them . Automation factories , mining and tactical system were designed in to the Defense Force .

The problem is poor programming , the Defense net decided all space travelers are dangerous . The leadership try to correct this but without any warships under their control all tries failed .

The Panniods have no problems with new contact of new peoples . They just do not desire leave the system .

ACT TWO
    The captain has ordered a change in crouse . The low power sub space transmission become two way with in five light years . The senders claimed to Master Healer of the world . He details the sickness . The defense system will not stand down. The data about sickness is sent . The healer has also hidden the plans to the defense system .

The robot defense is listening in . It jams the signal once it figure out what is going on . Two warships are dispatched to destroy PC starship .

Act Three
    The robot warships attack until one of them are destroyed or the PC starship out run them .
    The data sent is very detailed , show DNA of the vinus . The Doctor is able to figure out a cure . The cure can be made with their current level of Panniods tech level . The robotic defense is not allowing contact in any matter .

The defense network show few ways into . One is attack the master computer causes a different backup system to take over . Another is hi speed dash close to the 5th planet firing probes . The probes spray the cure into the air . The third is to gather up a fleet of star fleet vessels for all out attack .

Time is working against the 3rd way .

Act four
    This depends on what players decided . The dash is the safest for the ship but will take longer and causing more death .

The attack on the main computer is the fastest way . It is the most dangerous and 50% chance of destroying the ship . Now if the ship is destroyed and the master computer is still running . The survivors are taken prisoner , sent to colony on the edge of the system . A ship doctor still has the cure .

This is the best thread ever! I have a lot of ideas, but I haven't put together my campaign yet so I won't cover my own just yet... For now, though, I've found a similar idea on another board for a different game, which can be adapted to Star Trek. So I present to you some of the more usable "One Liner" adventure starters I've read. I make no claim to any of these, I'm just repeating what I've heard (although I'm doing the work to make them more Trek-able).

Just so people know my way of doing things the Eras are ENT (early warp drive), TOS (Constitution class era), Movie (refit Enterprise era), TNG (2360s-2370s, encompassing TNG, DS9, VOY, and the movies). Adventures might be for Starfleet, Independents, or rarely Klingon or Romulan.

1. For Independents, TNG: The heroes activate a second-hand replicator for the first time. When they activate it, it screams out "Die, xxx!"(whatever your local infamous crime lord's name is) and replicates a poisonous gas! When it's disabled and reprogrammed they learn it was altered at it's core a few months ago to asassinate xxx by voice print identification. It hit a glitch and thought a party member was xxx. Who would do that?

2. For Independents, late TNG: You're just a regular Free-Trader with a medium transport, trying to earn a cred. You don't care about good or evil, dictor or democracy. With that in mind, you accept a job offer to deliver three hundred metric tons of medical supplies to an Outer Rim outpost/colony. The catch? The outpost happens to be on xxx, the colony just happens to be the Maquis High Command cell for this sector, and you just happen to finish off-loading when the Cardassian assault is discovered. Now, you're faced with a difficult decision - leave the rebels behind to die, or risk your freedom and ship in order to give the doomed a ride off this rock?

3. For Independents or Starfleet, any period: The characters are standing on a busy streetcorner. Suddenly, disruptor fire breaks out around the corner. A human male runs up to them, closely pursued by a squad of troops. He throws the characters a small package and yells "I'll hold them off!!" He charges the troops and is immediately gunned down. Then all eyes focus on the characters...

4. For Independents in or near Neutral Zone, late TNG: An exploshion goes off in the bar the characters are in and suddenly Romulan troops rush in and start to arrest anyone carrying a weapon.

5. For Starfleet, any period: The troupe walks by a local cantina...suddenly an Orion dancer comes running out screaming nonsense...all the heroes can make out is "...why us???...why did they come???" Walking inside they find many dead bodies and others badly wounded...one old man crawls over to the group...my son....they've got my son...*he dies* upon further investigation they find this man was the ruler of a highly successful and prosperous outer-rim planet...and his son was his only hier...

6. For Starfleet, any period: Representatives from the Federation are dissappearing, and at the scene of each crime, a card is found bearing the words "Terrant of the Cold Flame"

7. For Independents or Starfleet, any period: The party, fresh from combat (Starfleet) or stealing a Klingon ship (Independents), are out in wild space with a bsuted warp drive...they find a derelect station and move in to investigate..the station powers up, scans the ship and crew, and asks if it can provide assitance...then people start to die of accidents...

8. For Independents, any period: A new computer has been installed in the ship and it takes over navigation the first time at warp. The new course from an old data overide. What is at the destination is most interesting, and puzzling.

9. For Starfleet, TNG era: The pc's track an opponent to an abandoned Star Base or Deep Space station. There, the villain has set all sorts of nasty traps, such as de-phased deck plating to trick pc's into believing it's solid ground until too late; force fields on the other side of chasms (anyone jumping across will have a nasty surprise); and adjusting gravitational plating in some sections (always fluctuating, triggered by movement, reversed, etc).

10. For Starfleet, late TNG: How about that nifty, new prototype transwarp drive your players just spent three whole gaming nights to steal from a heavily guarded Dominion military research installation? It sure does look pretty sitting in their engineering compartment, don't it? Too bad they never found out that the Founder scientists could never get a prototype to work more than five times before it randomly blows in the last jump. Even worse, it's got two jumps on it, already...

My own contribution: Ever wonder what would happen if a navigational error guided a starship at warp into a collision with a black hole? (One solution is an unstable wormhole tosses the ship out anywhere you want it to, one time only, no return ticket.)

Here's another batch of "One Liner" adventure starters I've picked and converted to a Trek scenario. They were originally for another sci-fi game and I do not claim these to be my own ideas (just altered a little by me to be more Trek-able).

11. For Independents, any period: Characters (who either have their own space transport, or are lent a leaky, old craft) are asked to deliver a shipment for a prominent Orion figure, which they believe is a shipment of Ship-parts, as the Orion insisted only his men and his business partners people should 'struggle with'. Little do they know that their orders to allow the group they're delivering to, to haul off the cargo themselves, involves concealled drugs being taken off board as well. Even if the heroes don't notice, or find this out, the Orion has hopes of keeping such operations quiet by having his buisness partners get rid of any 'possible' problems. As the Heros fly out a raider ship follows, with hostile intent....

12. For Independents, any period: Characters run across an old datapad that details a treasure trove of gems and precious minerals, on a beautiful tropical world. Only problem is, someones already knew about it long ago, but only recently aquired the funds to stage such an operation. They meet each other at the site. What do they do? Fight each other, Barter, Share?

13. For Starfleet, any period: a group of anti-alien extremists attack a non-human member of the away team while on a civilized world's surface.

14. For Starfleet, any period: The find a planet inhabited only by sentient plant life. Options: (a) Some of these beings are telepathic. (b) The Klingons begin an invasion to rape the world of its natural resources. (c) a major crime syndicate has a secret underground staging area and are very protective of the planet (d) all of the above.

15. For Independents, late TNG: The PCs believe they're smuggling weapons vital to the Maquis, but they are in reality the "decoy" shipment. However, there's a little mixup, and it seems the PCs have accidentally received the REAL cargo of very, very illegal and highly experimental weapons (subspace weapons maybe?).

16. For Starfleet, any period: The PCs are on a ship trying to bring new systems into the Federation. Aboard are two reps from different worlds, each in which a member of their gender is superior and the other gender is enslaved. Both representatives attack each other and claim each other as slaves to take home. To make matters worse, each has the full support of their world, who will not join the Federation unless their customs are allowed.

17. For Romulan, any period: No totalitarian society is satisfied with anything less than total control. A playwright has created an amusing comedy that pokes fun at the admiral's son. The admiral's son, of course, is outraged, and has moved to shut down the playwright. What do the PCs do?

18. For Independents, any period: The PCs are getting ready to board their ship to head to another planet, when they hear the sound of disruptor fire. A human comes running into the hanger bay, looking over his shoulder. His body is riddled with scorching from many scathing shots. Just as he gets to the players, he's shot in the back and stumbles into one of the PCs. As he falls, with his dying breath, he hands a cloth wrapped package to the character and says, "Can't let them get this. Keep it safe. It's...." (semi-dramatic death).

Here's another batch of "One Liner" adventure starters I've picked and converted to a Trek scenario. They were originally for another sci-fi game and I do not claim these to be my own ideas (just altered a little by me to be more Trek-able).

19. For Starfleet, any period: The workers and prisoners at the mines on <planet> all of a sudden developed a feverish madness, and started killing the guards and ripping one another limb from limb. Only a few guards survived, those prisoners that made it out were shot "just in case". What is causing this, and can it spread to the rest of the galaxy?

20. For Starfleet, TNG era: One of the Betazoid characters recieves a vision or has a dream involving their own death at the hands of someone they've never seen before. Later on, that same character sees the person from their dream. He/she is badly injured, and obviously in need of assistance.

21. For Independents, TNG era: One of the characters notices someone taking holo recordings of the group. Then others start to notice it as well. Is this just some papparazzi out for a few shots of the notorious group, or something a little more sinister?

22. For Independents, any era: The group has been hired to transport a chemist to <insert location>. This chemist has devised a cheap method to synthetically reproduce glitterstim spice, the most potent form of spice and until now only occuring in nature on one planet. When taken, glitterstim gives minor telepathic abilities and is in great demand by governments and crime lords for interrogations, by lovers to feel closer during lovemaking, etc. The synthetic version is absolutely identical to the natural one, and is cheaper to synthetically produce than to mine the naturally occuring spice. Needless to say, every crime lord and government will want this process, and the group will have to deal with all manner of bounty hunters and government agents, bribes, and the mine lords who don't want thier mines put out of business, etc. (Yeah, I couldn't find a good Trek replacement for glitterstim spice.)

23. For Independents, any period: A scruffy looking alien walks up to one of the part members and claims to know him. If the party member claims ignorance, the alien gets upset, but leaves a datacard with the instuctions for a job his crime lord boss wanted done. If the party follows up on the job, it turns out the alien did actually get the wrong person, but the Crime Lord wants to keep the job hush-hush. Its either take the job, or face execution.

24. For Starfleet, TOS or late TNG: The Klingon Empire (or Dominion) is preparing an invasion of an independent star system. All efforts to warn the victims of the invasion have failed due to an intense distrust of outsiders and xenophobia, or because the society to be invaded is pre-warp and the Prime Directive forbids direct interaction. In order to help those who don't want to be helped (or can't be asked), the heroes break into and loot a makeshift Imperial Klingon (Dominion) supply depot along the Invasion corridor.

25. For Starfleet, late TNG era: During the Dominion invasion, an independent industrial planet is attacked and destroyed by the Dominion. The Dominion fleet retreats and avoids further engagement. With a decimated Navy, limited resources and a population to safeguard and care for, the heros are put to the test. (Meant for experienced players/characters.)

26. For Independents or Starfleet, TOS or Movie: A very charismatic vulcan offers to ease the suffering of the dying by delivering a peaceful end. His movement is gaining momentum... but are his motives pure? And what is he getting in return?

27. For Independents, any period: Chardacca is without a doubt one of the best pilots in the sector - and the most arrogant - any number of people would love to put him in his place (perhaps even the PCs if they meet him), and a space race with a very tempting prize (one that the PCs might need or want) is about to be held in just a few days. But it turns out that the prize was only bait... the winners will be flying straight into a trap (pirates, perhaps, or a group that wants to clone the winner to create an elite battle squadron).

28. For Independents, any period: Goran DeFete, champion competitive martial artist, has been banned from the professional circuit after it was discovered that high-tech neural interfaces linked to powered boots were responsible for much of his fancy footwork. Now the professional martial arts commission members are turning up dead, several corporations want to know how DeFete's boots work and DeFete comes to the PCs for help sorting out the mess.

29. For Starfleet, TNG era: The PCs discover ancient Kholinar lore from some of the very first Kholinar Masters ever which suggests that everything the current Kholinar Masters are doing is wrong! Is this a joke? A test? It seems perfectly legitimate, and the temptation for certain Vulcans to want to suddenly do the 'right' thing arises. The dismayed leaders of the Kholinar Masters believe the new information has to be apocryphal... and asks the PCs to learn its true origins and intent.

30. For Starfleet, Klingon, or Romulan, any period: A recon vessel that was investigating some outer rim planet has vanished. The PCs belong to the Special Forces team that is being sent in to investigate the resaon behind their disappearance, and to rescue any survivors. The strange thing is, this seems like a standard S&R mission. So why send in SpecOps? Little do the PCs know, but the team leader will inform them enroute to the planet, that their primary objective is the retrieval of the ships computer core and all it's records. Just what was that ship reconning?

31. For Independents, any period: While making a routine jump to warp, something goes completely wacky and the computer fries. (On a ship the PCs own, or even better, a passenger liner!) They don't know how long till they need to exit warp, and things get worse if they try an emergency exit, only to find that they can't because the warpdrive has been damaged via sabotage! Now they must attempt to repair the warpdrive, while in flight, and then drop safely from warp.

32. For Starfleet, any period: The PCs are being sent into a criminal orginization to gather intel and evidence of some particular nasty criminal activity. As cover, the PCs will assume the identities of a group of bounty hunters that were recently apprehended by Federation authorities. All goes well with the operation until one of the supposedly apprehended bounty hunters shows up. Oops. Time to go!

33. For Starfleet, any period: Once again the PCs save the day, except this time, they happen to save the life of random NPC commoner #342. (meaning just some random citizen) This NPC becomes infatuated with one member, or even all members, of the party. Follows them everywhere. Is ready to jump to serve them, and more than anything wants to be like them. Problem is, this NPC is a total clutz. They screw up the most menial of tasks, they get underfoot a lot, and they have the uncanny knack for blocking your line of fire. How do you get someone like that to stay away?

34. For Independents, any period: Wanderhome Station, a deep space station-turned-gambling resort, is a smuggler's paradise. This is The Place To Be if you tend to ship illegal resources on a regular basis. However, the Galactic Empire, as is oft to do, has recently deployed a barrage of customs checkpoints along the asteroid belt that passes quite near to Wanderhome. The heroes must find a way to direct the Empire's attention elsewhere, so that smuggling operations can continue at Wanderhome.

35. For Independents or Starfleet, late TNG: The heroes are approached by a representative of some little known planet's government. He tells them some sad sob story about how one of their oldest and most treasured historical artifacts was taken during the Dominion rule. Now, he seeks to find someone that would be able to help him, and return the artifact to it's rightful place. Problem #1, it's in a Federation museum, and the only way to remove an item from the museum is with the approval of some Federation Council committee. At least, legally. Problem #2, the committee think it's safer here, where beings from all over the galaxy can study it. What to do?

36. For Starfleet, any period: The group's telepath beheld a frightening vision during his sleep the previous night. The heroes must venture far into the Uncharted Regions to one of the moons of what is later known as the <powerful extinct race> world of Kya-D'in (the system is still uninhabited, however). There they find the source of the dreams. They may end up having to kill it. (T'Kon, the race from TOS:Return to Tomorrow, etc are suitable extinct races)

37. For Starfleet, TOS or Movie: On the rich and powerful neutral planet of GoldCora, in or near the NZ, the election is in doubt and the Klingon-aligned party might win. But if the players foil the dirty tricks (kidnapping campaign workers, blowing up campaign headquarters, fake news stories, etc) and manage to report them, the Federation gains a new ally.

38. For Independents, any period: One of the PC's have had ties with the mafia a long time ago. That PC has to repay the favor of the mafia boss by shipping some restricted chemicals. One problem- they figure out they're shipping drugs after they have a little run in with a rival family of the mob boss the PCs are working for. On top of that, they're trying to take the drugs from the PCs and the rivals like guns. Not only that but the characters have to get 25 metric tons of drugs through security checkpoints.

39. For Starfleet, Klingons, or Romulans, any period: The heroes are sent to meet an Andorian spy in a sector of space determined by him. They are to transfer payment in exchange for information he thinks would interest the leadership. Unfortunately the sector that he chose has large pockets of volatile gases. His ship has stumbled into one, and the heroes discover the wrecked derelict. Throw in a flock of scavengers that can live in space for an "Aliens" feel. Also, the PCs ship gets damaged...they will have to get really creative about how they will survive.

40. For Independents, Starfleet, Klingons, or Romulans, any period: The PC´s get to hear the rumor about an artificial and very very hard to find planet, travelling independently through the galaxy. If they can find it and prove themselves worthy (be original with the riddles, tasks, and whatever) an ancient, powerful being would grant them immortality. Of course, the evil guys are out to find it too.

41. For Starfleet, TOS or Movie: The heroes are sent to organize and build up a resistance movement on a Klingon controlled planet (like they tried to do in TOSay of the Dove). They have to recruit people that are willing and then organize them as they see fit; of course if they make bad decisions about this they get some unpleasant surprises, such as: having spies creep in if they don't use some kind of cell system; having some people go ballistic if they don't screen out the nuts; having someone try to take over the organization for their own purposes (greed, revenge, etc) and try to bump off the PCs; having the Klingons come knocking if they're too unsecretive or obvious. For some combat interest, the crew will likely have to lead the trainees on some missions to get them started, but they'll have to keep their ears to the ground and think hard if they want to make the right attacks.

42. For Independents, any period: The characters are hired to pick up a certain cargo container at a certain spaceport from a certain individual and deliver it back to their employer. When they arrive, however, they are immediately whisked away by armed escorts working for their contact. They are taken to a secure location, where they meet their contact, who shows visible signs of being under heavy stress. He tells them Starfleet have been looking for him - and the cargo - ever since it has been delivered into his possession. Now he simply wants to be rid of the thing. Why are Starfleet interested? And will the pcs violate their contract in order to avoid conflict with Starfleet?

43. For Independents, any period: The pc's receive a mysterious invitation to participate in a galaxy wide "scavenger hunt". They will start out with a clue, that, if solved, will lead them to the next location, and so on. At the end of the trail lays a "Great Treasure". What it is only the sponsor knows. And speaking of the sponsor, just who is he/she? A bored noble? A warlord or crimelord looking for intelligent ne'er-do-wells to recruit? Again, no one seems ever to have heard of this person (or persons). The competition will be fierce too, including some of the pc's biggest rivals/enemies (if they have any). There will be ample opportunity for combat encounters, as well as puzzle solving and exploration in out of the way sytems.

44. For Starfleet, late TNG: The PCs are asked to deliever an encrypted message to a agent on Romulus. After the message is dropped off, the agent asks the PCs to safe guard one of his contacts from a possiable assassination attempt at a party. The contact is a (Romulan) governmental official who doesn't trust the agent or the PCs. How are they going to guard the official? When is the attempt going to take place and by whom?

Bonus from me: For Independents, TNG: Word gets round of a young card player who is said to have an uncanny ability to know what cards are going to come up next. She never seems to lose. The local crimeboss and the Ferengi casino owner are convinced that she is cheating somehow and each want her captured to figure out how. The party can be contacted by either, both, or even the card shark for protection. (Answer: the woman is a Betazoid who lies that she is human. As a result she can see in her fellow player's minds what their hands and strategies are.)

A long one from that same source which I liked too much to leave out. It works for Independents, any period: Rumor on the street is a smuggler has a competition, first prize is the ship of their choice. There are a limited number of padds with a code to get into the race. (The group has to use their resourcefulness and skills to track down one of the padds.) Once they have it, there are only so many entries that are accepted. So it's a race to get to the place before the entry limit is reached.

If they make it, they register their ship as their stake. No ship? They better find, steal, barter, or whatever for the 100,000 credit entry fee - they have 2 days to come up with a ship or the entry fee. (Gives them a mad dash to take out loans, steel, barter, contact hutts, whatever...)

There are a list of objectives like smuggling, theft, infiltration, kidnapping, escort, salvage, etc . . . and an assassination target (a hologram, actually). Multiple objectives gives the GM the freedom to use other adventures for the same campaign. Some of the same objectives are given to other teams so you might run into another team . . . and makes the group always look over their shoulder because they never know if another team is around or in the process of doing the objective when they get there. The objectives are littered throughout the galaxy, so time is also an issue because the first team back with all objectives accomplished, wins.

A tracker is placed on the ship to monitor that the group doesn't split up to do multiple tasks at once (GM's way to keep them under a little control). In other words, no leaving the system while personnel are off-ship, or you forfeit the prize.

Grand prize - their pick from the ships put up for stakes (GM can make a number of cool ships) or they can just keep the one they used for the race. Why aren't the ships all junkers? Well, even the best need to prove they are the best, and they aren't risking their ships since clearly they've been souped up enough to win.

The only rule: You can't interfere with another team until after leaving the initial system.

(Note to self: next is 8)

Lightbulb

I'm back! Here's another batch of "One Liner" adventure starters I've picked and converted to a Trek scenario. They were originally for another sci-fi game and I do not claim these to be my own ideas (just altered a little by me to be more Trek-able) unless I say it is my own contribution. And yeah I know the numbering is a bit screwy...I haven't counted my own contributions, nor that longer adventure seed.

45. For Starfleet, TNG era: A subspace disruption near a brown dwarf pops you out in an unrecorded system. In orbit already is the heavily damaged remains of a TOS-era Klingon battlecruiser. After boarding the ship you find a platoon of Klingon warriors still in suspended animation along with a few extra surprises.

46. For Independents, TNG era: Steal a cache of photon torpedoes (from any of the major powers) and deliver them to a secret Maquis base.

47. For Starfleet, any period: The PCs are sent to stop a pirate that they discover raids from BOTH sides (Federation/Klingon in TOS, Federation/Dominion in late TNG). They discover that said pirate robs both sides to help planets ravaged during conflicts between said powers. Will they stop him/her, help, turn a blind eye, or...?

48. For Starfleet, any period: The PCs are charged with First Contact on a planet with two cultures, one at the brink of warpdiscovery and the other primitive. The two have co-existed fairly successfully because theadvanced species is non-violent and does not advance the lesser race unduly. But the youngerrace IS agressive, and they control most of the natural resources of interest to theFederation, including the dilithium. The lesser race is still protected by the Prime Directive but the Federation wants to invite the advanced race to join, but is prevented from doing so until they make a warp jump, and that is prevented by the primitive race that is refusing to give them the resources they need to finish the program.

49. For Independents, any period: A cargo-shipment of microbes, soil, and plants turns out to be infested with bone worms. ThePCs don't find out until much later when the little beasties have infested the ship. Run thegame creepy, there's is an internal power shortage as a couple of the worms chewed through aconduit, so lights are dim everywhere. Have fun with them, lot's of spot checks, unseen bits
    and noises that scramble away when they chase. Corner/ceiling/floor atacks, discovery of thethings as one or two are killed, then a swarm eventually attacks the only "food" left on the ship....

50. For Romulans, TNG era: A few years ago, a prototype Imperial ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) Frigate named "The Continuing Vendetta, was lost during its initial test run. While this frigate design is a good one, it seemed to have malfunctioned and exploded during space trials. In the the last few months there have been disparagate reports of the appearance of a ship matching the same
    identifier code as "TCV". No matter what the players association, the bosses up above want this ship found right now. Depending on your style, you can have "TCV" dissapearing becuase of it's computer going haywire; or it's captain just wanted to retire in style from the Empire; or it's destruction faked very convincingly by a group of pirates who are now using this ship's unique abilities to help them rob the space lanes.

51. For Independents, TNG era: The PCs are tasked with finding an abandoned military base for the Maquis to take over and use as a training center. Everything is going fine until the local Gul decides to reactivate the base for Cardassian military training.

52. For Independents, any period: The players are docked at a spaceport for repairs, fueling etc. Any reason really. Have a collection agency turn up and impound their ship. Showing documents that clearly show the players ship was used as a credit line for a loan made by a family member or past owner. Now the the pcs are left with a huge debt to pay to recover the ship, or they are stranded wherever they are. This gets even better if they already have an urgent mission, now they have to make a choice over what they do. It could get worse if the players blast off (steal the ship back), then they become listed as wanted. Plus they could later receive a message from their relative that he is being held captive because the credit company couldn't get the ship to clear his debt with the crime lord!! "You guys have to come rescue me, I barely managed to smuggle this message out, I have 3 days left!!"

53. For anyone, any period: The players somehow find out that such-and-such government ships out it prisoners offworld. Have the players track down where the prisoners go, maybe because they have to rescue someone. A little investigation shows that a company is paid to collect them. The prisoners are put in stasis tubes and stored in big frieghters. The Frieghters are sent to a distant planet, which the PCs have to find. The planet has HUGE storage chambers that hold millions of stasis tubes storing a being. Have the PCs wondering a bit and reveal tidbits of infomation. The Company that owns the planet actually runs an illegal deal. Have the PCs find out that the planet is EXPORTING people. The Company has a deal where anyone can place an order for beings. They then
    sell the people to whoever, from providing gladiators to slaves to dietart supplement. It is really one big slave market using prisoners from all over the galaxy that planets have sold. Now the PCs have to scramble to find the person they are looking for before he gets sold. If you really want to be mean, have the person already sold, requeiring them to find out where and the trek starts all over again.

My own contribution: For Starfleet (or Romulans/Klingons/etc), any period: The Klingons or Romulans (or any other major power currently semi-hostile towards
    the Federation) came across an old DY-100 class sleeper ship from Earth. It carries a selection of genetic supermen, similar in composition to Khan's vessel. The aliens plan to resuscitate the criogenic humans and use their lust for domination and superior intellect against the people of the Federation. This could be played as the aliens and the humans turn out to be uncooperative with their plan, but they still feel like conquering someone...the aliens! Or it could be played as Starfleet and the genetically engineered humans cooperate with the aliens.

My own contribution: For Starfleet, TOS era: The disruption of power utilities by the Enterprise on planet 892-IV (Bread and Circuses) was blamed on Son-worshipper terroists. The end result was a "War on Terrorism" that was actually a religious inquisition. Since the Enterprise was responsible for starting
    this inquisition, it was considered unnatural to the course of the planet's evolution and a violation of the Prime Directive. Your ship has been sent to re-stabilize the planet's government and restore the course exhibited prior to the visit of USS Enterprise.

54, LONG. For Independents, TNG era: One of the players Federation Council/Starfleet Command contacts has a request of thatcharacter to deliver a package to an important family on an unfriendly world, Romulus is best,Cardassia and Qonos work, too. The package is only .25 meters long and weighs about 1 kg. The contact says the gift is personal and needs to be delivered in person. The recipient's description, name and title are given along with a hologram image for identification. This is followed by a 5-10,000-credit down payment for delivery with the other half to be paid on return. The contact is known for fair deals and has always been straight with the character in the past.

The package is not to be opened, but if they do open it what they find is an encrypted data cylinder. Without special resources and outside help they will not be able to decipher what is on the cylinder. Should they go to the extremes, the message should basically be a thank you letter for all the help and support of the person the cylinder was meant to be delivered too. Once the message is deciphered the cylinder is destroyed. It is not the message that is important, but the person sending it to the person receiving it. These two persons must be know as opposite and/or adversaries of power. But behind all the political and power facades they are close friends, but can not show it to the public or their enemies.

What you have with this delivery is a group trying to expose these two power brokers so someone they want can grab the power they wield. The characters are to be followed and jumped for the item. If they lose it, it is now a chase. If they hold onto it they are now curious as to what is going on. If they have it deciphered they know more than they want to and they have blown their mission. Either way they will be caught up in some political intrigue.

55, LONG: For Independents, TNG era: The PCs are first provided with a corteous message for their company. This is followed by a second, immediate message (a few minutes later, if the PCs show lackluster itnerest), with an enticement of lots of credits if they pay heed, a sinister waiter fellow delivers the message. In orbit the PCs ship (if they have one) is later met with a number of raiders that are there
    to "escort" them. They are taken to a smuggler's paradise, a moon full of scum and villainy, that harbors the base of a famous Pirate by the name of Pakoo "Death Dealer". Of course, he is retired now, aged and wizend.

Escorted to his throne room, cold, musty, and delapitated, sits Pakoo the pirate, rows of armed guardsmen line the hall. Pakoo is a little crazy and senile. He's a bit spacy, though he seems 100% clear about what he wants the PCs to do. If the PCs ask silly questions just have the old coot go off on a tangent, talking about the Great Bird of the Galaxy...The message is an encrypted PADD. Only a specialist can decipher it and the PCs will probably need outside help if they want to decipher. The PCs are instructed to deliver the message within the week to a nearby system (5 days normal travel time), if they can get there in four days
    (nigh impossible, though uncharted, dangerous area of space) he will double they pay (10k credits x2 = 20k). The package is considered "COD" (cash on delivery).

The message is in fact to be delivered to an equally retired and senile old Pirate. The message is a series of game moves for the Pirates next turn in a strategy game called "Stars and Quasars". The two retirees have found this a much more amusing game to play if they can intercept the message before it reaches them they won't have to pay the sum and if it does reach them the antics of the PCs is well worth the cost!

Throw in other twists for fun, like a Lieutenant of Pakoo looking to intercept this message (this on top of Sorrat's men also trying to get it) thinking it was of high importance because of the pay and Pakoo insisted on outsiders. He doesn't know about the deal between Sorrat and Pakoo. He wants to gain leverage and power over the old coot but runs after a red herring. This will all add up to the PCs thinking this message is very, very important, when in fact it isn't at all.

Here's another batch of "One Liner" adventure starters I've picked and converted to a Trek scenario. They were originally for another sci-fi game and I do not claim these to be my own ideas. Final batch for a long while.

56. For anyone, any period: The players stumble across the end result of a pirate attack. There are many corpses, but only one survivor who tells the players where they can find the pirates that did this to his crew and asks them to make sure it doesn't happen again. If your players are the mercenary types, have him tell them that the captain of the pirates stole a treasure map from him that will lead them to a small fortune (whether this is true or not and if they can find it is up to you, could even lead to a whole campaign searching for this treasure). The players valliantly (or not so much) accept and go to the pirate lair -- a depleted mining town. The descendants of the miners are still there, barely surviving. The pirates, it seems,
    have converted their old mining equipment into fighting craft and are the town's last chance for survival, but will continue to raid passing ships until they're destroyed or their people have enough to live by. No easy solution, particularly if the players are moral types. Possbile resolutions include the destruction of the pirates (which may be the worst possible solution), the players calling on Federation (or other) connections to render aid to or relocate the miner's descendants, or if you gave them the treasure map have the players tell the miners what it is, so the miners get the treasure and can live happily ever after.

57. For anyone, any period: The crew comes across an alien ship that just came out of warp. It looks nothing like any capital ship thefy've ever seen. On board, they find that everything has a vaguely crystalline shape. There are no survivors. Each alien appears to have been half eaten, and there is a strange, gelatinous-pudding-like substance all over the ground. What killed the aliens? Where are they from? Why did they come out of warp here?

58. For anyone, TNG era: The PCs find out that plans for a superweapon are being auctioned off by some secretive group. The PCs can either work their way into being members at the auction or find out where the auction is and sneak in to try to steal the plans. While they are there, they catch glimpses of dozens of different factions represented (Klingon, Romulan, Breen, Cardassian, etc). In either case, everyone is gassed (or stunned by phasers). When they wake up, they find themselves in the middle of a lush jungle with no clue as to where they are. What's more, all of their equipment that requires power of any kind is drained. After exploring, they find that all of the people that showed up for the auction are in the same boat that they are. What's more, some of the factions see this as the perfect opportunity to bump off some of the competition. And to top it all off, something is hunting them.

59. For Starfleet, any era: While travelling through an uninhabited system the characters' ship recieves a weak SOS signal from a barren, rocky planet. The planet's atmosphere is ionized so the signal barely get through. When getting closer to the planet, or even approaching the surface, the scanners show the signal coming from a crashed 2 crew ship in a small, narrow valley. The transporter won't work in the heavily ionized atmosphere and a shuttle needs to be used. One of the crew is found, his skeletal remains anyhow, while tracks lead up a gravel
    slope up out of the valley. If the characters survey the area a little bit, they find a plateau carved into the mountainside 350 meters from the crash. A narrow, carved out pathway leads 40 meters to a concrete entrance. The entrance leads to an old research facility. The facility worked on experimental combat machines. The prototype went rogue and slaughtered the scientists. The machine wasn't fully completed, it only had it's melee weapons mounted, but is still a hideous beast to meet in combat. Trap the PCs within the complex and use dark gloomy halls and a "tick-tack" metallic sound approaching to create a horror atmosphere.

60, LONG: For anyone, any period: At some point on the journey, something they haven't maintained on their ship for a long while (probably something to do with the power systems or warpdrive) blows out. Life support failing, they spot a small planet when they drop out of warp. There's no time to see which planet it is, but it scans as habitable before the sensors go offline. At some point on the way down they pass out.

When the players awaken, they find that they are on a primitive world. There are creatures there, some of whom use a mysterious psi power and some of whom have the occasional trinket of 24th century technology (a phaser, a comm badge, a batleth, etc.). They tell a legend of the visitors who came to the planet many phases ago, and basically describe klingons. They left many "sacred relics" in the Holy Mountain and then left the planet. Everything they need to get off of this planet should be there in the Holy Mountain. The Holy Mountain is many days voyage away from the crash site, though. Any vehicles should have been crippled in the crash or this will be over too quicly. Getting there is half the fun.

When they do reach the Holy Mountain, they find more or less what they expect, plus a very old human known as the Keeper. The Keeper of the Holy Mountain tells them that he can't let them into the mountain, but will obviously be incapable of fighting them and won't attempt it. Finally, the Keeper will tell them what's really going on. Their ship crashed. Some of them are dead (or if you don't like that at least say MAY be dead). He can't say which ones. The rest are in a coma. They are in an intermediate place between life and death in which they are all sharing a dream. They can fix their ship, and return to reality, but if they do the dream ends for all of them (and again some of them may be dead). A vision of the outside world will reveal that the planet they crashed on was inhabited (but won't give any information as to who is alive). So they have a choice. Stay in a world they know isn't real, or return to one where they might already be dead.

61, LONG: For anyone, TNG era: The PC are approached by a very well dressed Ferengi. He is accompanied by two bodyguards (make them good enough to blast the PCs to bits if they try anything fancy). He is very friendly and introduces himself as Baron Whatshisname. He asks politely if he may sit and invites the PCs to lunch. He states that he wants to make a business proposal.

He has heard of the heroes and he needs somebody to accompany him on a dangerous mission...he has bought a planet which was once home to an ancient civilization which lived underground in a vast cave system. He hired an archeologist and a couple of other scientists to explore the caves and retrieve valuable artifacts...unfortunately he lost contact with his team and he wants to mount a rescue mission as quickly as possible...he offers 10,000 Credits per person +1000 Credits for every day spend underground...he and a couple of his "security advisors" will also accompany the heroes. He offers transportation but he will also agree if the PCs fly by themselves.

Here is the catch: There is a planet alright, and it is owned by the Baron (a couple of Gather Information Checks will reveal that) but there has never been an expedition or an ancient civilization (this information is not available to the players, no matter what they roll). Instead it is the Baron's playground for one of his exotic games: He intends to transport the PCs down to the planet, they should wait for him at the campsite while he has to attend some "urgent business matters" that have "just come up"...he will be down shortly with the rest of the team. Of course he will not arrive but instead contact the PCs by communicator. They are the new stars in a game for his amusement: They have to get from the camp to a point a couple of days away through challenging wilderness where they can board a runabout and leave....they can keep the runabout as a reward. He tries to prevent the PCs from reaching the runabout by using goons, genetically engineered creatures, or other hunters (NPC). He monitors it all with sensors and enjoys himself.

To make things interesting the Baron transferred map data to the PCs PADD where he outlined two checkpoints, one checkpoint had ground vehicles and supplies, the other (which was further away) had a medical kit for the PCs to use. It is up to the PCs to try to aquire these items or make it on foot. The Baron stated that these checkpoints are well guarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Title: "...to the Last Man"

The catch is, none of the deaths are real. The characters are having their morals tested, to see if they are willing to sacrifice every thing in order to save unknown innocents. After you have killed the last player character, everybody is suddenly back to doing exactly what they were before the distress call, only with either a voice in their heads, or an alien ship near-by (etc) complimenting them on their willingness to protect, defend, and die for what they're Federation believes in.
    This is brilliant! It reminds me of Spectre of the Gun... the idea that this advanced species is testing to see if they will deal with the Federation! Bravo sir, great idea

Title : Remnants
    Type : a mix of exploration and combat
    Setting : post-TNG Era, close enough to Delta Quadrant
    Description :

While on a dipplomatic mission, the PC ship is hit by a wreck from a unknown civilization, exiting a transwarp conduit. The wreck may have valuable informations about transwarp propulsion. Things start to go messy when a Borg sphere arrives...

Long version

The PC ship was sent to lead diplomatic negociations with a new civilization (called innovative civilization now). Specifically, this civilization developped an extensive knowledge of genetic/life sciences to peaceful purposes.

Scene I :

On the PC ship, negociations start. The ship crew use the standard approach of partnership offers with a federation membership on the horizon. Negociations are going well.
    The genetic sciences development must be underlined. The innovative civilization has developped insightful ways to cure by using "natural" remedies, ways to generate power (lifeforms generating usable energy), etc... Anything that look genetically advanced and peaceful but, especially, innovative.

Scene II :

A transwarp conduit opens close and a large wreck is exiting, heading straight on the PC ship. While the main mass of the wreck will pass close to the ship, a large enough chunk will hit it.
    (Even if shields are up for any reason, I'd say being hit by a large debris is enough to provoke a disaster on board)
    Run sequences involving vacuum, emergencies of any sort, energy fields sealing sections, rescuing other crewmembers or innovative civilization representatives etc, to give the feel the PC ship was severely hit.

Scene III :

The PC ship needs major repairs on most systems. The ship is able to run routine procedures but anything like fast warp speed, combat, complex operations should be described as difficult, if not dangerous.
    While the crew is recovering, analysis of the wreck starts.
    Give as many hints as needed that the wreck is/was able to use transwarp propulsion, which is tied to Borg technology.

The wreck is from a totally unknown civilization, seems empty of any lifeforms, yet there must be corpses.
    The opportunity is now that the power core is still running on the wreck.

Run sensors tests, knowledge tests etc... but either decide the PC ship sensors are running at reduced efficacity, either speak about scanning troubles due to still running shields in the wreck (notably around transwarp core). The PC crew must have a rough idea of the status of the wreck but can't have totally accurate informations.

Scene IV :

The PC are sent/decide to go to the wreck for more informations and exploration.
    Time to look if your PC have space sickness or are at ease while wearing EVA suits.
    The wreck lacks many life support features, has entire sections devastated, destroyed decks etc...
    Run various tests as you sent the PC through a network of obstacles you can imagine in a spaceship wreck (opening blast doors, overloading safety fields, finding its way, going through zero-G areas...).
    The PC are able to collect data by picking items in quarters, simply looking and study, hacking the still running computers...

The wreck is the remnant of a civilization, assimilated by the Borg a long time ago.
    The members of this specie were fleeing constantly from the Borg, escaping the Collective.
    This ship may be the last one, or just one which tried to find its way to a more welcoming space (in my adventure, it was the last, to add drama).

Computers logs can also provide data about the recent events or the lasting exile and flight from the Collective as well as more accurate ship data and functionnalities.
    Informations about the wreck crew can come with personnal items (photos, personnal logs etc...) which adds to the feeling of despair of the crew pursued by the Borg.

On the wreck, the PC are able to get close to the transwarp core, still they are prevented to access it by a strong energy/containment field (which prevented accurate scans earlier).

At this point, the PC should have a more or less clear vision of what the wreck is.
    Main points are :
    - the transwarp core wasn't that much damaged
    - it's a fleeing ship from a almost/totally extinct civilization
    - something bad happened to the ship while in transwarp or when entering it, leading to disaster
    - the whole thing has a link to the Borg

The PC should be close to the core when scene V start.
    Going through the shield protecting the core should be finally found by the PC at that time, yet they must not be able to breach it yet, or it requires more study/much time.
    It's better if PCs already have an idea how to go through the shield at Scene V start, to help them later during scene VI.

Scene V

Another transwarp conduit opens, announcing the arrival of a Borg sphere.
    (use modified Borg Time Sphere from CODA Starships, p168 for template, p169 for non time ability variant, if you ever need stats, which is unlikely anyway)
    The sphere was indeed pursuing the (now) wrecked ship, hit it hard and during the trip in the conduit, the fleeing ship slowly lost hull structure/integrity/..., tried to go the farther possible then lost its ability to maintain the conduit and exited it... as a wreck...
    Explanation about the lack of surviving crew can come with radiations (who knows what happen to the crew of a ship while in transwarp when everything start to break around ?), massive explosions...

The Borg sphere scans its surroundings and focus on the wreck.
    The Borg came to recover the transwarp secrets or, at least, prevent anyone else to get it.

The PCs return to their ship.

While everyone expects an assault on the PC ship, or the Borg heading directly to the wreck and assimilate what is left... the Borg sphere just does a passing move close to the wreck then heads straight to the innovative civilization world.
    Actually, the Borg sphere decided to assimilate a civilization that advanced in genetics and life manipulation was better.

(if the PC crew is scanning the wreck again since the sphere passed by it, it can be told that Borg drones were transported on the wreck. Actually, it's not a problem to reveal it at that time. The drones were sent to secure the wreck and prepare assimilation of that long time eluding ennemy)

Here, it probably depends how you portrayed the Borg earlier (if you ever).
    As I prefer to let Borg "individuality" like the Borg Queen for earthshaking apparitions, I run the Borg like an analytical mind, ordering tasks and threats levels, then setting priorities.

The three elements for the Borg are :
    - a wreck they must recover or destroy
    - a damaged federation ship
    - an innovative civilization

The wreck won't go farther, it's a wreck.
    The PC ship is damaged and should be no match for a fully functionnal sphere
    The innovative civilization may then be analyzed to see if worthy of assimilation as nothing can prevent the Borg sphere to later come to finish the "wreck task"

(here comes the usefulness of having described the PC ship as unable to engage full combat during scene III)

Reordering its priorities considering threats and tasks, the sphere starts with assimilation/analysis procedure, the wreck being not able to escape now.

The scene also supposes the PCs are considering the waste of the entire local homeworld is a too high price to recover the transwarp core safely. However, it can be interesting to underline the possibility to recover the core while the Borg is occupied to assimilate the neighbor planet.

The purpose of this scene is to advance the story. It's mostly descriptions but speculations about the Borg behavior should start.

Scene VI :

The Borg sphere now heads to the innovative civilization homeworld.
    The innovative civilization representatives (who should still be on board) ask the PC for help.

You can add a description where the innovative civilization space forces are smashed by the sphere. The innovative civilization being peaceful, its armament is low/outdated. Distress calls and despair facing the Borg can add to the mood.

The problem is now : how to divert the Borg from the innovative civilization homeworld and survive the attempt (the PC ship is damaged and probably will only be able to delay the sphere). At best, how to recover the transwarp core/informations ?

The trick is now to force the Borg to reorder again their task list, putting the assimilation at the bottom. Not the definitive solution but a good start : research about the Collective mind, planning and discussions about strategic advantage, technological leap, moral questioning, danger and will.

Possible solutions :
    - destroying the wreck. Not a solution as it doesn't bother the Borg as destruction is an option to it.
    - recovering the transwarp core/infos
    - sacrificing the PC ship in a blazing attempt to stop the sphere... which will only delay things, not stop them

Recovering the transwarp core/info is the best way to force the sphere to reconsider its priorities as the Collective won't afford the loss to Federation scientists.
    Yet, it won't help to survive the following attack.

Indeed a solution is to recover, or at least pretend to recover, the transwarp core/info.
    The Borg sphere will stop its trip to the targeted innovative civilization homeworld.

Still, the problem of the sphere coming back remains.

A viable but dangerous solution is to use the wreck as a bait and try to cripple, destroy the sphere. Depending how the previous "technical" discussions were run, it can come easily or not to PC that the huge mass of the transwarp powered wreck can be detonated with some work.

Going back to the wreck and setting an explosive device or provoke a self-destruction of the vessel should do the work, if the sphere is close enough when the reck is detonating.

Again, time is crucial. If the PC crew want to be the most efficient, indirectly defending the innovative civilization, they must act quickly.
    Theorically, nothing prevents them to carefully work on this while the sphere is going through the early stages of analysis/assimilation. But it will mean more deaths and suffering for the innovative civilization. A question of morality and priorities.

To "call back" the sphere, the PC ship can use tractor beams and appearing to try to escape with the whole wreck. For the Borg, it means a risk the wreck to be recovered.

As the sphere comes close enough to stop the escape attempt, the PC ship should stop tracting the wreck and flee as fast as possible. The wreck should detonate, damaging/crippling/destroying the sphere.

This scene is where the PCs make plans and gather data about the Borg to complete their personnal knowledge. Add NPCs if needed to give advices and counter opinions.

Scene VII :

The PC crew is now returning on the wreck, equipped with devices to provoke the destruction of the wreck and go through the transwarp core shield.

Being clever and efficient to overcome obstacles during the initial exploration of the wreck should provide now returning benefits as time is scarce.

However, the PCs can also detect Borg presence on the wreck. A group of drones were earlier transported on the wreck (see scene V). The drones are focusing attention on the transwarp core area.

Run sequences of combat, infiltration, etc with drones around when the PCs come closer and closer from their objective.
    (see CODA Aliens p41 for Borg drone stats)

The PC crew is able to bypass the shield and enter the core.
    The core is still functionning even if damaged. PC crew now set its destructive device or prepare to overload the core etc...

You can add a surprise by putting drones again there. Considering the Collective assimilated that fleeing civilization a long time ago, it's very likely the drones are able to go through the shield without difficulty by adaptation.
    Depending how strong is the PC crew when speaking about fights, modulate the number of drones outside and inside the core area.
    Actually, as the transwarp core area is blocking all scans, you can decide at the very last moment.

Run technical tests about demolitions or propulsion, energy management etc... to set the destruction.

Scene VIII :

The PC crew is coming back on its ship, which is now tracting the wreck.

The assault to wipe the drones from the core area might already have alerted the sphere who can be already coming back. If you want to add more stress to the situation, just consider the drones destruction on the wreck put its recovery on the top of the task list.

The sphere comes back and fires at the PC ship.

Now, the sphere attack can be as long and as painful as you wish. Choose when you consider the sphere is close enough from the wreck (the sphere will attempt again to dispatch drones on it).

Depending of the way the PC trapped the wreck, everything can be a matter of timing (calculating how much time is needed to overload the transwarp core, or a delayed explosive device if afraid of communication jams with direct control) or just triggering the explosion.

The wreck explosion will terminate the sphere capacity to operate. Be it destroyed or crippled is up to you and probably depend if you want a follow up or not.

At last, the PC crew defeated the sphere and probably limited the losses of the innovative civilization. Data may be as complete or as partial as you want.
    Probably a satisfying aftermath for PC but you can decide it has no lasting effect on your campaign or make it a turning point in Federation-Borg opposition.

Variants and flavor

* Add a Ferengi ship during scene I. Ferengis are there to negociate trade agreements with innovative civilization. Nothing wrong there but their ship won't be hit by the wreck fragments in scene II. Consequently, while the PC ship is slowly recovering, they are already en route to explore and scavenge as much as possible from the wreck.
    Scene IV can then become a kind of race between the PC crew and the Ferengi crew : the first to reach the transwarp core.
    Make Ferengis flee as soon as the sphere arrives.

* Add survivors on the wreck. The whole crew didn't die. It can serve two purposes : give scientists and medical officers something to work on (healing and analyzing the survivors) and help to speed things if necessary. As, instead of waiting for the PC crew to collect data before continuing the story, the survivors can explain everything. It must probably rather to decide on that at start as survivors should be detected quite easily, notably during scene IV, unless they are in the core (shielded area, impervious to scans) but they will probably serve no purpose, being discovered to late (and it might conflict with the presence of Borg drones in the same area during scene VII).

Pierre
    (15000 characters maximum... ouch)

(ok not a seed at all but I felt it was the right place to post the entire story

I've read a lot of ideas there and it is only fair to contribute now.

Pierre)

That's a very neat adventure Pierre, you should probably have given it it's own thread and possibly work to increase it into a full adventure, sounds like a good 2-part story which should keep roleplayers occupied for a while!
    Ta Muchly

Actually, I ran this adventure as the first of my current campaign, under LUGTrek rules. It took about 6 hours of gameplay to complete it but I used the two variants (Ferengis and survivors), which made a couple of scenes longer.

My original post was longer but I was hit by the 15000 characters limit so I cut a bunch of comments and suggestions.

I wasn't sure about starting a new thread... who knows why...

Pierre

ONE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH:

The Romulans conqure a planet just on the other side (Romulan side) of the Neutral Zone. This planet has a small space navy, and was unable to fight back against the Romulans.

A single ship manages to make it across the zone and they try to buy weapons and technology to fight back. However, without money or trade goods they can't get what they need. However, all is not lost. A journalist for one of the Federation media outlets offers to sponsor thier fight. He gives them the money they need to build an uber-powerful warship out of surplus equipment and they set off to kick some Romulan ass.

Now, the players have to track down the journalist and bring him to justice for braking many interstellar laws, track down the uberwarship that his money built and stop them from causing an interstellar bloodbath they can't win.

And when that's done... they discover the WHOLE THING was a setup by a powerful media-mougal for Ratings! Now they have to go after him and his media company which won't be easy due to his vast wealth and connections across the Federation...

Who in the Federation has Vast Wealth?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Sadly, I just don't see this as happening.

It's a good idea for something like Babylon 5, or possibly Stargate, or even Andromeda. But for Star Trek, good Trek, it just doesn't seem to make sense.

First, the money isn't there. Second, manipulation of the media would be a huge crime, perhaps not illegal, but definitely unethical.

Of course, this could be an episode put out by B&B.