Thread: Relic Campaign situation

Relic Campaign situation

So. I'm running a variant of Owen's "Relic" campaign with Star Fleet characters charting and exploring the inside of the Dyson Sphere. A situation has come up wherein I think the base commander would almost certainly want to contact Star Fleet for advice. I figured I'd open it up for discussion here.

Situation: While investigating an apparently malfunctioning remote sensor probe, the crew of a runabout discovered and contacted a strange subterranean species. (which, at first, was thought to be more technologically advanced than they really are).
    This species, which calls itself the "Siluura", are gelationous fleshed humanoid beings who actually are a scavenger species that acquires characteristics from the beings they consume. Previously, as the "Unfed", they were savage and primitive. They've acquired higher degrees of sapience by consuming their "Food-Teachers". A previous, now extinct species that inhabited their zone in the sphere, enterred their dead in complex stasis tubes that have preserved the bodies for thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of years. This older race also called themselves the "Siluura".
    The Star Fleet crew has retrieved a handful of these stasis tubes for analysis, returning them to Dyson Base. Upon examination, the Medical officer present came to the surprising conclusion that he thinks these elder Siluura may, indeed, be revivable.
    The situation is: IF the elder Siluura can be revived, Star Fleet stands to learn a great deal about conditions inside the Sphere from thousands of years ago, and could make contact with a graceful, artistic and peaceful species that otherwise is now extinct. But! Any revived Siluura would almost certainly want the rest of their stasis preserved brethren revived as well. There are thousands upon thousands of stasis tubes buried in their zone. Finding them is difficult, unless the scavenger "Siluura" help. BUT, the scavenger Siluura depend on the preserved bodies of the older species for their very sentience and culture.
    Any Elder Siluura that are not revived will almost certainly be eaten by the scavengers, eventually. Not reviving them is condeming them to serve as fodder for a newer species. Reviving them would deprive a developing species of its means of progressing. Meanwhile! another species, the Mozoc, have sent exploration teams into the Siluura zone. They revere the long dead and have a cultural imperative toward preserving the sanctity of the dead. They view the scavengers as mere vermin who take on appearances to disguise their vile natures. They are systematically trying to exterminate the scavengers and preserve the remaining stasis tubes.

Contact with the Mozoc has already been made. The Mozoc have roughly late 21st century tech and have already explored about 10% of the Dyson Sphere interior. They travel by a system of concealed mag-lev train tubes beneath the surface. The Mozoc consider themselves the "Chosen" of the Builders and all other species are inherently inferior. (They are roughly analogous to, say, particularly arrogant 19th Century British explorers. ANy other culture, no matter how advanced or old, simply isn't as "special" or "civilized" as their own.)

So far, I have the base commander leaning toward strict non-involvement. The elder Siluura are "Dead" by their own cultural definitions. They preserved their dead for the future in the belief that some day, greater technology could revive them. The Federation does, in fact, have that technology (at least for a fair percentage of them). There is, so far, no real proof that the stasis preserved bodies can be restored. Only a strong opinion that it is possible. The base simply doesn't have the resources to start large scale revivication, and that is not the mission for which the base was established.
    The opportunity to revive this ancient culture is fading every day, but won't be gone entirely for some time yet. Meanwhile, conflict between the Mozoc and the scavengers is unresolved.
    I have Commander Samson basically saying that this is all an "internal" matter to be resolved among the native species and that Star Fleet should not get any more involved than it already is.

Opinions?

I feel that the 'exploratory' Starfleet would certainly revive one or two of the suspended 'Elder' Siluura out of curiosity. (They've been know to do this on the show, more than once, against better judgement.) I refuse to believe that anyone stationed inside the Dyson Sphere would pass-up a chance to get to know something about the history of the place. If the CO isn't willing, some of his crew members are very likely to complain about it.

Does that help?
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

I don't think this is a matter to bring to the attention of Starfleet just yet. Once the CMO revives a couple, then the stuff hits the fan, then it's time to call Starfleet for help.

It's a given that on the Trek shows, the CMOs (and other characters) do stuff without always reviewing all the possible ramifications of their actions. I don't see Crusher or Bashir hesitating to revive one of the Siluura.

OH. I fully expect the elder Siluura will be revived eventually. Despite Cmdr. Samson's misgivings. I'm playing her as being cautious and all too aware of the cultural issues in treatment of the dead, after the deadly android attack on Dyson Base.

Further complications: The exploration team made contact with the Siluura (or, as the Mozoc call them, the "uzol-Siluura"--"uzol" translating literally as "slimy corpse eating vermin" and more loosely as "Ghoul") thinking that they were advanced enough to dismantle key parts of a sensor probe. Turns out they are simply sensitive to any subspacial broadcasts. They were curious and totally non-aggressive toward the exploration team, though firm in wanting to visit with them. The uzol-Siluura have picked up a profound delight in art, dance and philosophy from their "Food-Teachers". They are cosmopolitan in that they readily accept the existence of other sentients and want nothing more than to understand and INGEST the culture of others.
    The team, upon encountering the Mozoc (themselves a sophisticated, if ethnocentric, culture of poet warriors and free thinking explorers) found the Mozoc desire to "wipe out" the uzol to be unacceptable and rigged holographic walls to keep the Mozoc extermination squad out of the uzol-Siluura living caverns.

The uzol-Siluura are, indeed, so taken with their new Federation friends that they want to "get to know them better, to become just like them". IE: They wanted to eat at least one Federation team member to absorb Fed culture and skills.
    This will make future contacts with the uzol-Siluura a little more complicated. Add to that the fact that the Mozoc, after first dismissing the Federation team as "colorful but inferior native guides" now suspect that the Feds are behind the energy barriers that are protecting the "vermin". Future contact will not be quite so..."friendly" or trusting.

Meanwhile, the Team is still out there, exploring the tunnel system with stolen Mozoc maps! Gotta love PC's!!