Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Higher-Powered Beings.

I made up a super-species called the Melantians. I've used them throughout the game as recurring pests (never the main antagonists though). It's so funny to see the players' reaction when I announce one of the tell-tale signs of the Melantians

(I know, I shouldn't take pleasure in torturing my players, but it's too much fun )
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by Rayaru
    I made up a super-species called the Melantians. I've used them throughout the game as recurring pests (never the main antagonists though). It's so funny to see the players' reaction when I announce one of the tell-tale signs of the Melantians

(I know, I shouldn't take pleasure in torturing my players, but it's too much fun )
    Rayaru, you should post them. I would love to see them

Not used any godlike beings yet, but the Prophets are due to appear some time from now (hey, one of my player is a Bajoran).
    Also, I plan to have a female Q appearing from times to times to offer them strange choices...

The Q Trilogy novels offered an interesting view on how some of the various godlike entites of Trek interacted.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by Lt Cmdr Matt
    Rayaru, you should post them. I would love to see them
    Okay, I'll see if I can dig up the species profile.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Talking

LCARS SCI MODE SYSTEM PROFILE: Melantus
    System Type: single-star, Melantus, Type A8 III
    Affiliation: Melantian Association
    Inhabited Planets: Melantus III (Class L; 3rd of 5 worlds)
    Spatial Anomalies:
    -->Core Nebula- Class T1, engulfs Melantus I and II
    -->Rim Nebula- Class C3, engulfs Melantus IV and V
    Description:
    [THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS CLASSIFIED AS CAPTAIN'S EYES ONLY] The Melantus System is inside the Romulan Neutral Zone, and infringes on actual Romulan space a bit. It is a Dilithium-rich system, especially the third planet, which the greedy Romulans were quick to exploit. The mines on Melantus III dried up recently, around 2376, causing the Romulan expeditionary teams to dig deeper. Unfortunately for them, this increased activity far under the planet's surface awoke a slumbering superpower, in the form of the super-beings that Starfleet is now calling the Melantians, named after the system. According to reports gathered from the USS Vigilance's recent encounter with them, the Melantians, initially having been caught off-guard, were slaughtered off by the Romulans. Eventually, a point came where they snapped, destroying all the Romulans on the planet in one swift strike. The remaining Warbirds that fled were quickly apprehended by the Melantians. Starbase 173 was misidentified as the home base of the Romulans, and they angrily attempted to strike back, destroying the USS Hathaway, Orion, and Toledo, and sabotaging the environmental systems aboard the Vigilance in the attempt. Surely, they could have easily destroyed the Starbase itself before being turned back, but the highly telepathic creatures sensed that this was not their enemy, and turned back. The Vigilance was ordered to pursue the Warbirds back to their home base, where they encountered the central command of the Melantians, who had quickly assimilated the customs of the Romulans, who had made first contact. They did not take kindly to the Vigilance's attempt to gather information on them, and pursued, chasing the Vigilance out of the system. Surprised by Starfleet's sincere will to preserve their anonymity, the Melantians have had a change of heart towards the Federation, and although they still seem to have an insatiable curiosity towards humanoid life, they have aided Starfleet on several occasions since first contact, as demonstrated by the Alpha Pictoris V incident. In light of their xenophobia, and the Federation's desire to respect their wishes, the Science Council is deeming all information about their existence classified.

LCARS SCI MODE SPECIES PROFILE: Melantians
    Personality: The Melantians have been known for their insatiable curiosity, but are very strong xenophobes. Their supernatural abilities to control energy and matter are very useful to this regard. They are also strongly individual, and very cunning.
    Physical Description: Melantians are, in their natural form, amorphous, purple blobs of a gelatinous substance. All signs indicate that, up until first contact with the Romulans around 2376, they remained in this form. At that moment however, they quickly assimilated many aspects of their hated enemy, including appearance. However, being shape-shifters, they can assume any look that suits their fancy.
    Home World: Melantus III, a Type L planet with a low-gravity and thin oxygen-argon atmosphere. The planet is bathed in a pale blue light by the blue-white giant that the system has as a star. This world is heavy in Dilithium deposits, which attracted the attention of the Romulan Star Empire.
    Culture: The culture of these super-beings is unknown up until 2376, when a Romulan mining team unearthed the dormant civilization, killing a large portion of them off. Ironically, after this violent first contact with humanoid life, they assimilated many aspects of the Romulans, including their cunning and superiority complex. Dealings with the Federation, however, have caused many aspects of that culture to rub off, leaving them with a desire for peace, and a love of science. The Melantians are primarily dedicated to gathering knowledge now, and they use their shape-shifting and environment-altering abilities to do so. They are, however very territorial and still have a case of xenophobia, so they use any means necessary to operate under stealth. Both the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire have declared the Melantus system to be quarantined.
    Language: The Melantians have no spoken language of their own, but rather use their immense telepathic abilities to adopt the language of any species they may be dealing with, on the rare occasion of communication. However, they can communicate across the galaxy with each other, telepathically.
    Common Names: The Melantians have adopted a system of nomenclature similar to the Romulans.
    Favored Profession: The immense supernatural abilities of this species do not fit well to standard classifications of profession. However, Scientist probably fits the best, because of their desire to learn about all the species of the universe.
    Species Adjustments: +4 Strength, -2 Agility, +10 Intellect, +10 Vitality, -5 Presence, +10 Perception (for natural form). When shifted into another form, these modifiers change, at the Narrator's discretion.
    [b]Species Abilities:
    -->Bonus Edge- Psionic: All Melantians are telepathic by nature.
    -->Bonus Edge- Zero-G Trained: Melantus III is low-gravity, so they are well-suited to like environments.
    -->Species Enmity (Romulan) – The super-beings have an intense hatred towards the Romulans, who attempted genocide of them when they were first awakening.
    -->Intolerant 3 (Romulan) – See above
    -->Who Needs Fate? At the Narrator's discretion, the Melantians may automatically succeed at any attempted test, due to their abilities to control time and space.
    -->Can't Touch This: The Melantians aren't a playable race. Ever.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rayaru; 05-01-2003 at 06:50 PM.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Can't Touch This: The Melantians aren't a playable race. Ever

Lol! Brilliant!

The write up's pretty cool too!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

I plan to have a group of individuals, some of whom will have individual abilities. One thing they have in common is access to extremely high tech equipment, all of it invented by an old man with a limp.

If the players try to challenge him, they'll be in for a nasty surprise, when they realize Apollo was wrong about at least one of his cohorts...

An old man with a limp who makes extraordinary equipment? That's not just any Vulcan, is it, Fesarius?
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Are you sure this stuff doesn't belong in the Evil Gamemasters Support Group?
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.