Thread: [CODA] Demo scenario Idea

[CODA] Demo scenario Idea - Needs Help

I need a little help fleshing this out.

The goals for this scenario are:
    1) use pre-generated characters from the Players Guide.
    2) playable in a short amount of time with a few players (2-4 hours / 2-4 players)
    3) make sure each player has "something interesting" to do during the scenario.
    4) feature as many aspects of the game as possible within the above parameters (skill use / attribute checks / opposed checks / Fatigue / Damage / Combat / Ship Combat)

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Characters:
    - Human Command Officer
    - Bajoran Ops Manager
    - Vulcan Science Officer*
    - Trill Diplomat*
    NPCs:
    - Klingon Rogue
    * The Trill Diplomat and Vulcan Science Officer may be left out if enough players are not available.

Scenario :
    The PCs are on a mission to deliver a minor Diplomat to [destination planet] via a [small transport]. There is a Klingon Mercenary vessel in the area with a contract to capture the Diplomat alive and unharmed. Their clients with to retrieve [device/implant/encoded message] which was planted on the diplomat without her knowledge.

Scene One:
    Just as they are leaving [starting planet], they are accosted by a Rogue [cloakable and well armed] class Klingon starship.
    Things to do:
    * Science Officer make a Sys Ops (Sensors) test to detect the cloaked ship before they are hailed.
    * Diplomat and or Human Commander make various Socials tests to negotiate with Rogue Captain.
    * Someone makes Academic test to identify the Rogue starship as a known/wanted Mercenary vessel.
    * Human Commander makes a Tactics test to know that the Rogue Captain could have already destroyed them if he wanted to .

Scene Two:
    Two (Three?) Klingon Rogues board the ship with the goal of capturing the diplomat unharmed although the PCs may not know what they have come for. Because of [Treknobable] transporters are unavailable and the boarders must enter by attaching an umbilical and forcing open a hatch. Combat ensues.
    Things to do:
    * Human Commander and Bajoran Ops Manager make good use of their Ranged Combat: Energy Weapons or Unarmed Combat skills. Rogues may be using close combat / Unarmed Combat only for fear of accidentally harming the Diplomat. (Q: Do disruptors have a *stun* setting?)
    * Vulcan might get a chance to use his "nerve pinch"
    * Diplomat ?

Scene Three:
    [small Federation starship] arrives in the area, and the Rogue ship detaches, cloaks and warps out with or without their hostage. The Rogue Captain hails the PCs once more to either gloat or curse them depending on how they faired.
    Things to do:
    Not much mechanically, just a little role-play.

What do you think?
    Last edited by MightyCthulhu; 05-13-2003 at 02:43 PM.

Seems to be a decent framework to work with.

In Scene Two, have the diplomat negotiate with the Klingons, either in an attempt to end the hostilities or afterward to attempt to establish a peaceful means of returning the defeated warriors and go on their way.

During this event, have the diplomat learn of the reason the Klingons are after him or her.

The SF vessel arrives and the two ships separate in Scene Three. You could have that scene end by having the PCs find the item in question thereby giving you a hook to a new adventure if a campaign spins out of it, either with these characters or new characters that have been assigned or hired to learn why this "item" is important and to whom.

Regards,
    CKV.

review

I ran the episode last Friday night for a few friends. They played the 3 Starfleet characters and one played a Centauran Scientist.

I ran a few very short scenes to do character introduction:
    1) the Command Officer and Ops Manager working on a minor problem with the Runabouts internal systems ( a stuck door.)
    2) The Vulcan Science Officer and the Centauran Scientist on their way to the Runabout discussing the Vulcan Science Academy.

3) The NPC Trill Diplomat meeting the crew while boarding the Runabout. (At this point the Ops Manager noticed the "Ceremonial Knife" the diplomat was carrying.)

It was a long flight (going to QoNos) and we played a few social interactions with the diplomat over that time. The Command Officer made some very good social test and ended up seducing the Trill (in true Kirk style! )

They all suspected the Trill (just cause she was an NPC I think)

They were over 20 hours from the border (@warp 5) when the BOP decloaked and fired on them.

I ran a starship combat which was probably a bad idea in retrospect since I was VERY shaky on the rules and the PCs were more of a match for the BOP than I thought they would be.

The PCs refused to surrender. Eventually the BOP Engineer was able to synchronize their Transporters with the PC's shields. The BOP used a tractor beam to drag the PCs ship out of warp (since one of my players pointed out that you can't use transporters in warp!) then beamed in 4 Klingon Rogues to the PCs bridge.

I let the PCs roll for initiative instead of being surprised (since the Klingons would be slightly disoriented by the transport) and they won!

With Phasers set to stun the combat went quick. Two of the Klingons managed to enter HTH combat (with the 2 non-Starfleet characters) before they were stunned.

The Klingons were usually making their first stun saves (some of the PCs didn't bother to change their phaser settings from "light stun" ) but with a -5 on all physical tests the Klingons never made a second save vs stun.

Q:is this right? Is a Stamina save a Physical test?

Anyway the PCs took the boarders prisoner and the BOP fled as a Federation Starship responded to the PCs distress call.

I may run it again with a few tweaks (like planet or something for the PCs to hide near.)

I don't think I did the "synchronize the Shield frequencies thing" right. I think the NG says the TN is a 50. I let the Klingons accomplish it as an extended test TN15 with an Aggregate TN 50.

BTW: the knife contained sensitive Federation Defense information written with a subatomic lathe. It was to be delivered to the Duras Sisters. (I plan to use them as a season spanning nemesis (like Q in TNG) if we turn this into a Season Premier.

If I run it again I think I will wait till the PCs are in Klingon space (after negotiating their way past a Klingon border patrol) then let the Duran sisters themselves show up to claim the diplomat. (with several ships: K'Tingas and BOPs)

Then if the PCs did a good job with the Klingon Border Patrol, the Border Patrol will come to aid the,, other wise they will need to find their own escape...