Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National demographic for Trek gamers

National demographic for Trek gamers

Hey there,

I've come to realize that I live in the wrong section of the nation in order to find Star Trek fans. I'm wondering - where in the nation do you practice your geekery?
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Not much of a trek fan; a gaming geek, sure. Albuquerque, NM, USA
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Well here in tha Capital district of NY there is a small share of trekkies where I live but not a lot of rpgers. So talking about the show is ok but finding ones to play is another problem.

Now when I lived in Middletown NJ there were trekkies and gamers hiding all over the place, but that was some 14 years ago.

You need to go a lot further west to practice your geekery.

Like me, about 25-30 miles west of you.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    You need to go a lot further west to practice your geekery.

Like me, about 25-30 miles west of you.
    Jeez, Dan, I had no idea.

Is there a local website or email list that I could subscribe to get in contact with the rest of the Star Trek community in the area?

Actually to be honest, I've no idea about an offiial "fan community" - I know we've got the Arisia Convention in the Boston area every January. And the New England Science Fiction Writer's Association meets in Boston every February with Boskone. But as for a Trek presence, I can't think of much - I'm betting the folks at Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge would be the best bet for knowing about the various fan communities in the area.

As for me, I'm lucky to have a gaming group of Trekkies. Though we're still in Trek burnout mode right now.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

See, being a card gamer first, I would never think to check out Pandemonium. Stores I frequent: Your Move Games in Somerville (and Providence), Gameboro in Worcester (excellent book selection - it's where I found a copy of the Starfleet Operations Manual) and TJs Collectibles in Milford.

Wow, this post came out sounding like a plug, but it really isn't.

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!
    Bloomington, Indiana - in the scenic heart of Limestone Country!
    Plenty of gamers, even lots of high-quality gamers, and plenty of folks to talk waith about ST ad nauseum. Not entirely opposed to a ST game if properly motivated. My group took little if any convincing. I know, I'm lucky. I love this town. You should all move here - unless you have bad allergies or like mountains or oceans or big cities or are terribly conservative.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

Here in San Diego we have geeks aplenty.3 game shops have game rooms that allow RPG and miniatures play,2 of the 3 Wizards stores have card game rooms.Then there's the small shops (3 that i know of) that also have card games.

The other geekery:the San Diego Comic Con used to be the biggest comic con in the world,but I think the one in Chicago now beats us out.Starfleet has 2 ships/chapters here.Tons of comic shops and 2 animie stores that I know of.

My Trek game has 5 players and is the only one being run at a game store(will probably move to my house though)Game Towne. The books sell well here so I'm assuming ther's other ST games in Americas Finest City.I'm thinking abut posting on the Starfleet BBS to dig up a couple more players.
    Last edited by Lowly Uhlan; 04-21-2003 at 11:26 AM.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Originally posted by Kirok
    Bloomington, Indiana - in the scenic heart of Limestone Country!
    And home to one of the best pubs in the country -- the Irish Lion. Also has one of the few Tibetan restaurants in the country (or did last time I was there.)
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!
    Originally posted by qerlin
    And home to one of the best pubs in the country -- the Irish Lion. Also has one of the few Tibetan restaurants in the country (or did last time I was there.)
    Slainte!

Man, I used to go there all the time - I lived a couple blocks away. Knew the bartenders and and wait staff. Not so much anymore. Still the best place for a hearty meal and ale, though!

Oh, and we have TWO Tibetan restaurants. And a Tibetan monastery.

Thanks, qerlin, you've reminded me of more reasons why I love htis town!

When were you here and why, if I may ask?
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

I'm from Michigan. There are three Star Trek fans here. That's all.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Arkansas

Let me preface this by saying I love Arkansas. However, not many Trek fans here. Not many gamers. I had a good group of gamers for awhile (I always end up being GM). They enjoyed Shadowrun quite a bit, and then Werewolf. However, the mere mention of Trek caused lots of cringing. However, after picking up the LUG books, I just had to play. Fortunately, my wife is as big a Trek fan as me. So, we have some fun solo games. She plays a Starfleet Intelligence officer, which lends itself well to solo games.

My problem is finding Trek fans that want to play an RPG game, or finding RPG fans that want to play a Trek game. Definitely a rare breed here in the Natural State.
    <i>"On Earth there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet headquarters, and you see paradise. Well, it's easy to be a saint in paradise."</i> Benjamin Sisko

I live near San Francisco.

I believe some people here actually think that Starfleet is already running things

Anyway, I have gamers 'n' geeks o' plenty out here, even though my current crop of rpg-ers refuse to play Trek.

I'll change 'em yet!

Michigan trek fans

LOL....Hey, mactavish...

There were four trek fans in Michigan, until I moved back to West Virginia.

As far as finding gaming communities or the like in Charleston, WV....well, it seems to have switched a lot to CCG gaming. (I still prefer good ol' fashioned paper and pencil and dice gaming.)

There used to be a couple of gaming shops in Charleston, WV, but now, they've gone....only places to get any RPG materials are the Waldenbook and Barnes and Knoble stores. And then...at that, I have yet to see any Decipher based Star Trek materials. Good thing I still have some LUG stuff.

Peace,
    General Chang

Actually,
    If you want to try and find some internet RP gamers, goto the chatrooms in Startrek.com. I guarantee you will find chatters popping up asking if anyone wants to join their PbEM or chat sims.
    The dead giveaway is that most of these seekers' names start with either Captain or Admiral.
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009