Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [CODA] "Expanded Starship Operations" sourcebook

Emphasis on "hope" to be finished

Anyway, note that this will be the content only - I'll then start the layout.

If you playtest the thing and see some imbalances, please do tell me! That will help correcting it.

Darth: the starbase sample is this one
    http://rpg.lionelkw.com/eso_sample2.pdf

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Actually I thought of something...about docking pylons. Its really just a matter of semantics I guess...but you could list them as "Docking Pylons/Berths" This crossed my mind as I was attempting to build an "Ournal" class space-dock (Star Trek 3). The Enterprise docked at more of a berth than a pylon. Again, just semantics. I would also think that the transporter ratio for a base would be different (higher) than for a starship...the same goes for shuttlebays, again this is just a passing thought whilst looking at Trek 3 and DS9 for that matter.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Good remark for the pylons, Darth - I intended them as berths too.

For transporters and shuttlebay ratios, I don't think it should be different - after all, they require the same amount of space and power as on a classical starship. However, it might be a good idea for a station designer to buy more of them than for a starship

Hi all, time for a little status report.

The project takes a bit longer than expected to complete - mostly because I have had a lot of work recently. However, I'm pleased to announce that not a lot remains to be done

What remains:
    - Vehicle construction
    - Massive scale combat
    - Some details about expanded operations and more station maneuvers
    - Ship, vehicle and station profiles.

In the meantime - I was asked to put some more online, so here is a BIG sample (28 pages). Note that no layout is done, that I didn't even time to proofread the stuff but it should still be usable:
    http://rpg.lionelkw.com/eso_sample4.pdf
    (edit: Do not believe tables 2.16 to 2.19, they're mostly wrong and not completed yet)

The final book should be about 150 pages long. I hope it will be completely finished (layout and all) by the end of May.

As always, feedback is greaaatly appreciated
    Last edited by KillerWhale; 05-07-2003 at 12:21 PM.

Bravo Killerwhale! This is really fine work. I hope Dec takes notice of your hard work.

Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise.

Thanks a lot captain, I'm glad you like it

I doubt that Dec will ever notice the book, though, although I'd love to work for them on the Trek license (just not under the adventure submission agreement ). Hey, let me dream!

KW-

Not to get repetetive on the transporter bit, I had an idea and maybe it'd play out for your starbase stuff. How about instead of transporter types/rooms you could make them transporter complexes. IMHO it goes better with places like a spacedock or even DS9 (just based on the size of those things). You could then assign a certain # of transporters (rooms/types) per complex. Again, just the rantings of a psychotic.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Well... You might want to consider that starbases are often a lot bigger than ships, and that transporter numbers are based on Size; hence stations will "artificially" have more transporters than ships, without bending the space cost.

Take DS9 for example - based on my first assumptions, that's a Size 12 station. It would already have 6 emg / 6 personnel / 6 cargo transporters. Spend 2 space more (a negligible cost for a facility this size) and you get 18/18/18 transporters... That's way more than the biggest starships.

Additionnally, I feel bases and ships are built on the same rules - that's why I feel incomfortable bending the costs. After all, stations are nothing more than big static ships - IMHO. You can just install bigger systems on them, because of their static position. But a transporter remains a transporter...

Does it seem sensible to you?

BTW I appreciate the discussion very much.

So far, KW, looks solid to me. Like what you're doing with this.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by KillerWhale
    Well... You might want to consider that starbases are often a lot bigger than ships, and that transporter numbers are based on Size; hence stations will "artificially" have more transporters than ships, without bending the space cost.

Take DS9 for example - based on my first assumptions, that's a Size 12 station. It would already have 6 emg / 6 personnel / 6 cargo transporters. Spend 2 space more (a negligible cost for a facility this size) and you get 18/18/18 transporters... That's way more than the biggest starships.

Additionnally, I feel bases and ships are built on the same rules - that's why I feel incomfortable bending the costs. After all, stations are nothing more than big static ships - IMHO. You can just install bigger systems on them, because of their static position. But a transporter remains a transporter...

Does it seem sensible to you?

BTW I appreciate the discussion very much.
    Makes sense. Again, I would think that part of this is semantics really. Like the docking pylon/berth thing. I also forgot that 1 space will give you x (size/2) # of additional transporters. Perhaps this is another muted cry for all updated erratta and the like to be posted....which I've heard will be soon enough.

As a side point...I noticed that in your starbase material you use the traditional "divide by" sign. It comes out looking like "+" on a color printer...on a B/W it come out ok. A suggestion might be to use "/" instead...again this is just my opinion (and it won't prevent me from screwing up the math ).
    Darth Sarcastic

Thx guys

Thanks for the pointer about the divide sign! I've been in math for so long I persudaded myself that the / sign was not common knowledge, so I used the classical one... Where do I get such ideas?? I'll change it to the slash.

Finish this thing, man! <sound of whip cracking>

So far, looks great. Tried the combat maneuvers the other night; work like a charm.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I'm delighted to hear the thing works smoothly!

I hope I'll be able to finish by the end of the month - layout and all 15th of June at worst.

Very very very nice. I like what I see!

Now I just have to get my hands on the Starships Book! And I know just the place.

Looking forward to the final product, KW.
    Evil is Good. Good is Evil.
    Beware of Dark Teddy, Dark Lord of the Fuzz.

KW-

I know its only been a week since we/I last asked, but is there an ETA on the book?...**DROOL**...sorry 'bout that. **Mops up drool** Just wondering.
    Darth Sarcastic