Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [CODA] "Expanded Starship Operations" sourcebook

Wow that's really excelent KW !

it would be good however if it was stretched as much as possible to the A4 page to squeeze out those extra dots, and just use the 'scale to fit' option in Acrobat to set it to your printers page margins (with a little white space on the bottom just in case!)

The cost of the edges and flaws would be good too - because not all of them are '5' (though it is tight in there!)

As a suggestion - if you put the 'tactical data' box and the 'secondary systems status' bog vertically side by side you can then write the shield hits effects horizontally (and put the hit table vertically) and reduce the secondary systems to a single comumn.

Also is it me or have you shifted all the text boxes down by a tiny amount as a tiny top on the right angle curves is showing on my printout?

Ok sorry don't mean to be so picky - it is excelent !
    Ta Muchly

Howdy

I don't have Illustrator... and I don't see why it would help vectorizing a part of the file and not the rest?

Haha, the problem with the sheet is I'm doing this under Publisher (OK, this program sucks and I should use InDesign like for the rest, but I got my okudagrams ready in there...) and the fitting of components is sometimes quite crazy. That's the reason why some weird stuff appears even though it doesn't appear under the software itself, like small edges, text boxes minute shifts... If I had the time I should really port all this into InDesign. I'm sure I would gain time in the end, but, phewww... What a daunting task

Good idea for the cost of the traits. I can add a little "cost" box on the far right end.

For the Status track my classical okudagrams privilege a horizontal layout to a vertical one, so it's not easy to have things that way. Anyway the secondary systems don't fit vertically, I wanted to do this originally but the crew status eat the necessary room.

Oh you make me want to transpose all this under InDesign for good...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

LOL - in that case i'm all the more impressed you made anything useful in Publisher!

With regards to the vectorising, i was refering to the last but one post, it's just that mine landed just after you posted yours. it most likelly doesn't need it as the size is small.

I can take your point about converting to In Design, as I tend to find it's very hard to get MS stuff out of MS! Shame there aren't conversion utilities arround.

That also explains why all your colours are websafe RGB, rather than in CMYK - Ok I'm getting all technical and it's after one hehe. I better stop interupting and let you get on with it!
    Ta Muchly

How long do you reckon before it's release KW?

I think this work of art is going to make me buy the Decipher books at long last!
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Thanks Tobian for the comments! Well, I used Publisher for so much time that I really know everything in it. I still have to master InDesign as well.

Setvenharis: wow, that's a BIG compliment sir. Thanks
    I had intended a release for the end of September but I'm not sure I will have finished. Oh, well, this beast has to be finished someday, so I'll probably release it even if I didn't put all the stuff I initially wanted in it. I can always release newer versions if I like, that's what's nice with ebooks

All the more since I have other projects that I want to take care of after that.

(btw guys I'll be away for next week, going to vacations )

Question Vehicles vs. Characters?

I know this has most likely already been addressed, but I can't find any reference to it. First let me say that KW's vehicle rules are pretty darn good. I like'em and plan on using them. One quick question though, how does character vs. vehicle combat get resolved, and also are vehicles really in the same scale as starships. I mean is a Ford F-150 as tough as a type-15 shuttlepod? I mean it would be okay with me since that is about right in the d20 version. Anyway just a little confused about the details of character vs. vehicle. Please help!!!

To an extent this is covered in KW's book - because different technologies mean differences in defensiveness.

I.e a Type 15 shuttlepod is around the same scale as a large people carrier. The Perople carrier however does not have any shields - so starship scale damage would destroy it easily, and it's speed relative to a shuttle would be puny. If you were comparing like for like technology then if a mobile transport has 24th c weapons and shields then it is just as capable as the shuttle (save for landed adjustments)

Beyond that it's harder to be more specific as at that scale the figures start to break down. At the end of the day the rules system is meant to be simpler and more cinematic system, with a degree of salt thrown in... A ford people carrier will be vapourised if it's hit by a Type X phaser beam - no matter what the rules say!
    Ta Muchly

Wink

Agreed! Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything. The way I do scenes where the characters are involved in vehicle chases (like in Nemesis) is to have the PC's treat the vehicle as cover then give the vehicle in question say the AOV in "Nemesis" approprate cover quality. I would handle it like this. Vehicles and structures have the same basic stats as starships. However when characters attack vehicles this is handled differently. Use the cover protection chart to determine the damaged absorbed and damage sustainable to a vehicle structure area, about a square meter or what ever seems apropriate. Roughly 100 points of damage inflicted in a single attack is about equal to the offensive value of 1 against a starship. If a starship or vehicle is returning fire with a vehicle or starship scaled weapon then find the weapons Offensive Value and multiply it by a hundred this is the damage the characters suffer in return. Which will in all likelihood utterly wipe them out. When I speak of vehicle weapons I’m talking about things like a 30mm six barreled Gatling gun firing a thousand rounds a minute or a hellfire missile or something on that order.

Hey KW

Seems I have stumbled upon this thread just in time! I'm looking forward to your release very much :-)

How will you announce it when you are finished? And where will we (the unpatiently waiting audience) be able to get it?

Keep up impressing us...

Respectfully, Nico

Cut, if you backtrack through these threads, you should find MOST of the contents of the book. available for download. There's still a few revisions to be made, but mostly KW has done an excelent job! there are only a few modifications and some ships sheets to go and the whole lot should be available to download as one big netbook!
    Ta Muchly

Yep, Tobian, you're absolutely right´of course

My question was if the netbook will be found here as a complete download or perhaps on TrekRPG-Mainpage.

Alright, thinking about it, it will be at the same location where KW has put the other stuff online...

Nico

I'm back Thanks Tobian for managing the house while I was gone

Capnhayes, you are right, there's definitely some kind of problem with the structure track when it comes to primitive vehicles (cars and such). I'm thinking of adding two Flaws, one which would put the vehicle structure at the character scale (think a car), another which would put the damage at the character scale (think a Gatling). Thanks!

Yep, the book will be up on my own webpage, although I'll submit it to TrekRPG hoping they'll host it as well. I'll put all the other stuff I did there (character sheets and such).

Smile

Hmm, thats sounds sounds like an exellent way to deal with a minor problem. I really look forward to seeing more! I've been waiting for a good set of vehicle rules in may caimpaign for a while as there were no such rules provided in the first place. As most Trek adventures won't ever require the need for such rules, its still nice to have them. I've been tring different ways to handle this problem since I first started playing. Yours are very good, as well as the rest of the netbook you've created. You've touched on subjets that really needed further explanation.

I think I have to agree to you there KW - there isn't much scope for non Startrek era weapons in there, and there isn't much scope for weapons on a ship scale that can do people scale damage. Can you reconfigure a shuttles phaser beams to stun a large crowd etc.. could be fun!
    Ta Muchly

Thank you capnhayes! I'm very glad you like the material - apparently it serves the purpose I wanted it to! Cool!

Consider the flaw for scales added, guys However I'll certainly make one single flaw counting both structure and damage instead of two separate flaws (not much logic in diving the aspects!)

I'm working on the revamped starship sheet now. I'll post it as soon as it's finished