Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [CODA] "Expanded Starship Operations" sourcebook

KW - excdelent design for the Nor station, the only thing I would query would be that I think the Terok Nor station was much more extensivelly upgraded than you have there:

To quote from DITL, which in turn is taken from the DS9 technical manual..

===========================================
    6 Sail towers each containing:
    2 x Rotary Weapon Systems mounting 3 Type X Phaser arrays and 3 Rapid fire photon torpedo tubes
    1 x Fixed Weapon Emplacement mounting 1 Type X Phaser array + 1 Rapid fire photon torpedo tube
    1 x Type X phaser banks and 1 photon torpedo tubes
    18 Retractable pods
    15 with 1 Type X Phaser array and 1 Rapid fire photon torpedo tube
    3 with 1 Type XI Phaser array and 1 Rapid fire photon torpedo tube

Totals:
    Phaser arrays : 3 Type XI and 63 Type X
    Torpedo Tubes : 66 tubes - 5,000 photon torpedoes stocked
    ===========================================

I know that the rules systems abstacts the number of weapons etc, but I would have put in more than 2! They REALLY beefed it up for the Dominion War! (though I guess you could add a Dominion War upgrade too!)

The Cardassian platform is superb. it doesn't look that mean, untill you think a dozen of them could be firing on you!! and with those spiral wave disruptors you are going to lose your shields pretty fast! OUCH
    Ta Muchly

Howdy!

Yup... according to DITL there should be a lot more weapons on it, but I'm basing my reasoning on the fact that weapons coverage do not mirror the precise number of arrays. I feel that the pylons and the specific structure of the station creates many dead angles that have to be compensated with additional arrays. Of course, no such problem with CODA

Now maybe the torp penetration is a bit low. I'll see if I can up it a bit.

But I'm always focussing on the total penetration the facility has, with no relationship whatsoever with the number of arrays. In this case, 7/7/6 for the disruptor seems adequate to me - what do you think?

Additionnally, DS9's rotary weapon system (I revised'em in ch.1) give a +3 to the T modifier... With +8T, you're sure to hit your target by a fair margin, siphoning the shields at great speeds.

And yup, the Odak'ra is a little pest
    Last edited by KillerWhale; 09-20-2003 at 04:40 AM.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Ohh, thats sweet KW.

ooooooooooh...*drools*. It looks really nice KW. It will be a big help for designing the stations I'm using for 2373 and NX-era.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Thaaaanks friends!

Here's what was asked... the station profile sheet!
    http://rpg.lionelkw.com/eso_stationsheet.pdf

KW, do you have a homepage where we can find all the materials you've posted? This thread is getting very long and I'm afraid that I might have missed some of your excellent materials. My mouth is watering waiting for everything to be finished!

Well I still think it needs to be uprated a bit but adding the rotary +3 modifyer adds a nice touch - lots of hits but not TOO lethal

The Station sheet is just as nice, I've just printed myself up a few for a few goes with all the nice new rules!

I think a final version could do with a home page, but I guess right now it's all up in the air - all needing a few tweaks here and there
    Ta Muchly

Thanks

Yeah, lots of tweaks appeared in ch.1 so far I haven't posted updated versions in order not to confuse things; everything will be in the final release.

All the stuff so far can be found on rpg.lionelkw.com (ooh, what a beautiful interface )

But in the end I plan to have a webpage with all the stuff, in the case trek-rpg.net cannot host it.

ESO is excellent!! I have a question about the atlas - class Tug doesn't need enhanced tractor beams X2 to carry size 8+?

note: I posted this by mistake no starship combat, I don't know how that happened sorry!

ESO is excellent!! I have a question about the atlas - class Tug doesn't it need enhanced tractor beams X2 to carry size 8+?

note: I posted this by mistake no starship combat, I don't know how that happened sorry!

Thanks Goku for your nice feedback!

Well, basically after I wrote ch1, a semi-official ruling came out, saying that each additional tractor beam allows a craft to tow one Size category more (1 beam: Size-1, 2: Size etc.). So that made the corresponding Trait moot. In the revised version of this chapter, the trait will be left out and the ruling will be specified, allowing Atlas-class tugs to effectively tow ships bigger than them

I just finished tweaking my old vehicle rules for coda. This is for vehicles with the primitve construction flaw. Also included are basic no brainer rules for what happens if your cool '03 Ford F-150 gets attacked by a Klingon BOP. Please tell me what you think. what sounds good and what sounds stupid.

Here it is. Vehicles and structures have the same basic stats as starships. However when characters attack vehicles this is handled differently. If the vehicle has the Primitive Construction Flaw use the cover protection chart to determine the damaged absorbed and damage sustainable to a vehicles body structure measured in sections. This is determined per number of sections as per the vehicles longest dimension in meters. This also depends on what the vehicle is constructed of, for example a typical early 21st century automobile from earth would be constructed from thin metal. This would give it a damaged absorbed/sustained value of 10/15. For each meter reduced to zero sustainable damage the vehicle takes a critical just like starships do.
    If a starship or vehicle is in the same scale as a starship, the vehicle is treated as if it were a starship, just as stated in the vehicle rules as far damage is concerned. If a starship scaled weapon is used to attack a character scaled vehicle (one with the Primitive Construction Flaw), or a character for that matter, and successfully hits that vehicle or character, treat it as a phaser or disruptor hit at setting 16. This is roughly equal to a starship weapon with a penetration value of 2. Higher Penetration values simply spread the same damage out over a larger area i.e. 600 cubic meters of rock destroyed becomes 1200 with a penetration 3 weapon and that would again double to 2400 with penetration 4 weapons. For each additional penetration value double the area affected . On the other hand if a character scaled weapon is used against a starship It must as powerful as a type-2 holstered phaser set to maximum (setting 16) in order to have the effect of a ship mounted phaser with an offensive value of 1. Treat type-3 and type-4 phaser rifles also as Offensive Value 1 beam weapons. Character scaled weapons that aren’t capable of causing such damage in single attack are treated as no effect against starship hulls.
    Structures are for the most part treated the same as vehicles with the exception that they cannot move. Rules in LOTR core rulebook can also be used for structures. As before if a starship attacks a structure with the primitive construction flaw it is automatically destroyed. Only modern 24th century building can hope survive a hit from a starships phasers.

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it

The basic idea seems perfectly fine - it approaches my own version of the scale shift flaw:

"Scale Shift
    The vehicle is so small, frail, primitive or underpowered that it’s absolutely no match for a starship or station. It’s best used against personnel, or other like vehicles.
    Effect: The vehicle’s structure and damage is considered to be at the personnel scale. Multiply the structure by 10 (system criticals still happen every 5 damage) and weapon penetrations by 50; these values are only used against personnel or vehicles with Scale Shift.
    Versus starships and stations, consider the vehicle as personnel, not as a vehicle (see “Mixing the combat scales”, p.81). In essence, the vehicle is instantly destroyed if touched by weapon equipped on a starship, station or vehicle without Scale Shift. Versus those, divide the vehicle’s weapon penetration by 50. "

I'm unsure about the meters/section stuff - it seems a bit unwieldy and incoherent with the rest of the CODA system... I believe a downscaled structure track is more coherent and easier to use.

What I like very much if the way you treat damage at the different scales! I have to polish my own text about that, it's too unclear for my taste. Your text will help a lot do that! Thank you so much for sharing! I'll add the relevant stuff at the end of ch.2 ("Mixing the combat scales")

Thank you again, all, for all your help!

KW-

I like what I see so far. As far as base construction goes, I know about switching the length and height tables, but which # provides the actual size? The larger of the 2 or the diameter? I'm just a bit confused about this. I tried back building the Spacedock and its not a size 16...17 perhaps.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Glad to help. You've been a great help to me. for the most part the rules I used were just common sense stuff. Most of the time the characters just like to look cool when they vaporize a bad guys speeder with their phaser or take out a 10 foot section of a castle wall to impress the princess. Yes my players love it when I let them use their phasers.
    As far as the section thing I know it seems like it would bog down game play but it really doesn't. A similiar system is used in LOTR against walls, and in D&D 3rd edition. An example I used to explain to the players was this. In the movie "Blackhawk Down" there is a scene in the begining of the movie where a Delta Force guy shoots an high-powered sniper rifle and takes out a bad guys car buy putting a round through the engine block. Well I put in game terms like this. The Delta Force Guy most likely got a Extraordinary Success doing maximum damage. I would use the assault rifle damage which would be 4d6+2 or a maximum of 26 points of damage to the car. Now the cars structure would be found under the Cover Protection chart pg. 92 NG. Since the car is made from Thin Metal it has a damage absorbed 10 (all types), and damage sustained of 15. So 26 points of damage would totally deplete one section of the car causing a critical to the car taking out the engine which probably had a reliability rating of A. Taking out a section doesn't always mean that it has a huge three foot gaping hole it. Narrator's should their imaginations and these rules as a guide to explain the actions of the players.
    Sorry I'm not trying to preach here but I thought further explanation was needed. All I needed was some way to bridge the gap between the ultra modern high tech 24th century vehicles and ships, and the puny technology we use today. Anyhow if I can help out it great. Lord knows your material has been a great help to me.