Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: [CODA] "Expanded Starship Operations" sourcebook

Does anyone here have any advice on printing out ESO? I've looked into printing it colored, but the cost is too high. I'm wondering if printing it in black and white is still ok, in terms of reading it and whether or not the numerous pictures cause any problems.
    "God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

WOW!!.. KillerWhale, are u a secret agent working for Decipher

A bout of insomnia gave me the opportunity to give the complete ESO a thorough read-through. This is truly one of the most fabulous fan contributions I have ever seen. Kudos once again, KW.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Question A qqestion about fleet battles

Well I must say this is as good as any "offical" Decipher product. your expanded rules are a welcome addition to any Coda Trek campaign. I loved the addition of vehicle rules, great stuff. I did have one question regarding fleet battles. After averaging the weapon damage of all the unit ships, do you then multiply this average penetration by the number of ships in the unit? I this question has already been adressed then I apologize. Again the additional rules are a very welcome site. Thanks KW!!!

I just wanted to echo the praise. The additional info for ships, plus the added bonus of stations and vehicles is very well done. Thanks for offering it to the masses !

Originally posted by David Templar
    Does anyone here have any advice on printing out ESO? I've looked into printing it colored, but the cost is too high. I'm wondering if printing it in black and white is still ok, in terms of reading it and whether or not the numerous pictures cause any problems.
    I've printed mine out in B&W and have no problems at all. Some of the actual screen shots come out a little dark but thats it.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Would like to add my thanks and appreciation to everyone else's. I just found this thread, and have been reading eagerly.

One note, just read the part about chroniton torpedoes, and Table 1.1 on page 9 says to refer to table 1.17 in Starships. This table represents 21st-22nd century hardware, yet the implication is this is 23rd-24th century hardware. Is this a typo?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining.

Ok, second time. Lost my response, guess I took too long.

I was watching Nemesis the other day, and noticed something odd. Cpt. Picard and Adm. Janeway were communicating in real time across several light years. I know Starfleet's subspace radio with relays has a transmit speed of Warp 9.9999 from NG and Starships. However, that gives it a 13 minute lag for conversations happening at 5 LY. At 20 LY, it becomes 53 minutes. That means that Adm. Janeway's transmission to Enterprise-E took approx 53 minutes to reach it. Cpt. Picard's response took 53 minutes to return. Now all this is assuming he was within 20 LY or so, but I will assume for the sake of argument he was. My problem is, how do othe narrators handle communication with Starfleet. According the CODA system, there is no real-time communication except within the same star system (according the NG, transmission across Sol would take approximately 0.2 seconds, allowing for almost real-time communication). Is this just ignored, or does it allow for a more swashbuckling approach to the game.

It has always been my understanding that as long as the transmission is within 22.65 light-years it would be in real time. However unless the signal is transmitted through a subspace relay station, the signal will degrade and it will also then have a time deley like the one your talking about, and lose signal strength. But just like ALL Star Trek technobabble this can change to fit the needs of the story. I have heard it described differently also.

Also note this is an Admerial talking to a Captian on what we can asume(maybe) is a priorty channel. Soemthing like that would probably route though as many relays and boost as much strength as possible.

And besides, whatever moves the story along is how it works
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

To true. I try not to worry to much about technobabble, especially where Star Trek is concerned. After all Trek has got to be the most inconsistent sci fi universe ever created. If for no other reason its been around for over 35 years.

Question

Hey man the books great, but can you give me some help I in constructing some new maneuvers.

-I looked at the maneuver list and there are a lot of it.
    But I can't find the "Marquis play dead" maneuver, can you help me constructing it?

-I'm trying to construct another maneuver called "Point Of No Return". I 've seen it in the film "Wing Commander". Its the manuever where he is flying in a star fighter and is persued by a Kilrathy Carrier. So he came up with this maneuver: He closes in on a Black whole with the kilrathi carrier on his tail, then he goes almost to the point of no return (this is the point in which the gravitational forces of the black whole are so great, that escape is imposible = the ship gets pulled in and is destroyed) and makes a shap turn and fly past the Kilrathi carrier. The Kilrathi carrier must also make this turn, but is unsuccesfull because the point of no return is different for each ship (how bigger the ship how somer you have to turn, because of your greater mass) and is destroyed.

-I 've another idee: "Bounse Maneuver": A part of this maneuver was invented by Picard when he saved Jake Kurland who was going to crash on Relva VII. Now what if use this part and create a whole new maneuver with it. In this maneuver you are in point blank range of a plante and also in PB range of your primary target. You pretend to enter the atmosphere off the planet, but just before you enter the atmosphere you bounce off it and you use your aft tractor beam to pull your target into the atmospehre of the planet with an enormeous speed. As a result your primary target gets damagd and he enters the higher atmosphre of that planet and must make a crash test, if he fails then he may try again the next round. If he fails two times then he crashes.
    This should be a verry difficult maneuver to perform.

Any Help in constructing these maneuevrs is welkom.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Command Maneuver TN 20?

Hmm, I'm not sure that manouver is as devastating as it could be. in Voyager the USS Voyager actually managed to suvive within the event horizon of a black hole - because they use subspace warp drives and forcefields - which can shield against some of the extreme shearing forces of a black hole..

I would agree with it being a Command manouver TN 20 - because you have a very good chance of falling in yourself!
    Ta Muchly

thanks for the response.

maybe your right Tobian on the Point of no return maneuever, Wing commander technology is not that good. But what do you think of the Bounce maneuver or can you help me with Marquis the Play dead nmaneuver.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.