Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: [CODA] "Expanded Starship Operations" sourcebook

It's a tough call to make.

I would say it could either be a 15 or 20 depending on the circumstances, and it would be a piloting manouver, rather than a command. Perhaps you could make it a 20, but if the player was able to make a physical sciences (mathematics or physics) OR Space sciences (Planetery bodies) roll of TN 15, then he could lower that roll to a 15 - since it would require a certain amount of knowledge on the workings of such things.. allot of pilots wouldn't be all that familiar with landing on planetary surfaces (though they might have bought that as a speciality, in which case it's all part of their repetoire!)

Depends on when it's happening and weather or not you are in combat. In combat you want to simplify it for speed, but if it were a drama thing - rescuing a ship of innocents spiraling towards an atmosphere with no shields, then it would be better to have plenty of rolls and complications to up the tension!
    Ta Muchly

thanks

thanks for the reply. Sorry I waited to read your response, but I was away on vacation.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Not a problem.

Has anyone heard from Killer Whale? He hasn't made a showing on the forum for a while?
    Ta Muchly

True! I'm back

All right, let's see the questions (wow!) And thanks for all your amazing feedback and nice comments!

Sorry if my formulations are quick, it's just I'd like to answer everyone

capnhayes: after averaging all penetrations for a single ship, you sum up the individual averages for all the wing's ships.

JDHMorgan: Eeeerm... Frankly I don't remember! But I think you're right, considering the space requirements, I think there's a typo there. Make it 24th century weapons.

IKI: For playing dead, IIRC the NG covers something like going to grey status, that is, minimal power output... For Point of No Return, I'd simulate it with Take Cover (p.53) only if the attacking ship fails, it's instantly destroyed. Of course they'd be penalties for both ships due to the gravitational fields (-7 I'd say). For the last one... it could be simulated using both Take Cover and Tractor Hold, you'd have to throw penalties for both ships here as well (say, -5)? Just my two cents, in order to start thinking about these. Hey, all the previous answers given are much better than these three feeble attempts anyway

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Hey welcome back KW, good to see you've comeout of retirement and I'm hoping you might even be doing more updates (not that I relish printing out hundreds of pages again hehe)
    Ta Muchly

Unfortunately I have very little time currently and as much as I'd like to update ESO (each time I open the PDF I see glaring typos that hurt my eyes), my RPG-writing and editing time is quite full with writing for EWS. So I cannot give a date, but I'm thinking of doing an update.

In any case, be assured that there'll be a separate errata file with all additions, in order to free you from printing the whole book again.

Killerwhale, I love the secondary systems damage. Personal favorite of mine. Nothing worse than losing the turbolifts in a critical situation and the chief engineer stuck in the holodeck. MAHAHAHAHAH
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

If you need someone to go typo-hunting, KW, I am very good at it... I used to edit other people's dissertations for a living.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Thank you again guys

RaconteurX: well... if you have the time... That'd be great. I was tempted to answer no at first because I was afraid I wouldn't have the time to incorporate the corrections and I wanted anyway to re-read the whole material and update it a little maybe. But that would be a great help I think, and if you find the typos I'll definitely find the time to make the due corrections. So if you have too much time on your hands, your help would be greatly appreciated. But I know this is a really time-consuming project so if you don't really have the time, I wouldn't want to impose that on you
    Thanks for the offer, that's much appreciated!

KW, I have Adobe Acrobat and could make all the necessary changes as I find them rather than just noting them and sending you a list. It would certainly be the easiest way to handle it, although much depends on whether you encoded the file as read-only.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Erm, that would theoretically be faster and easier but if I ever want to change the layout (I'm using InDesign) or update the material all the work would have to be done again.

Would it be possible for you to copy'n'paste the text into Word for example and do the corrections using the modification history mode? If you prefer, I can directly paste it myself and send a Word file... That way I'll be able to integrate the corrections in this version and the future ones.

A labor of love..... *sigh* How romantic! Thanks Killer Whale for using what little time you have into something you love and sharing it too! You are even care about the little things like the typos and allows us to even help! I wish I could lend a hand yet I'm very untalented in computers and their programs. But I wish to stand up and clap for you and route you on! Go KW and company(any and all that helped out)!

7 of 11
    A
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!

Need I say it...?

THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!!!!

Absolutely incredible work, KW. I'm loving it! Unfortunately, I'm making myself go to sleep now (early up in the morning...grrrr...), or I'd be reading it right now! Just loved it!

Thanks for your hard work. I wouldn't be surprised if Decipher decided to contact you and offer you something for it in the future!

-Mustang
    "...For I intend to sail in harm's way!"

-John Paul Jones

I just dl'd ESO and it has got to be the best looking unoffical RPG supplement I have seen.

I've still got to finish reading through the thing, but it looks really good.

Originally posted by KillerWhale
    Erm, that would theoretically be faster and easier but if I ever want to change the layout (I'm using InDesign) or update the material all the work would have to be done again.

Would it be possible for you to copy'n'paste the text into Word for example and do the corrections using the modification history mode? If you prefer, I can directly paste it myself and send a Word file... That way I'll be able to integrate the corrections in this version and the future ones.
    Instead of redoing the stuff, why not do what decipher does and release an errata and we, the readers, can make edits with our pens and pencils
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!