Thread: Aslan's potential forum game.

Forgot to mention Stats must be generated using the Pick Method

Originally posted by AslanC
    Forgot to mention Stats must be generated using the Pick Method
    Thanks.

Regards,
    CKV.

5) Advancements are as follows. 5 for a green character, 10 for a veteran of the Dominion War and 15 for an old spacer. Adjust by your type of course.
    Could you define the difference between a "veteran" and an "old spacer". As you mentioned the DW I would guess you define a "veteran" as someone who got most of experience during the war, while an "old spacer" would be someone who had several tours of duty before the war as well.
    Am I even close???

Originally posted by Lancer
    Could you define the difference between a "veteran" and an "old spacer". As you mentioned the DW I would guess you define a "veteran" as someone who got most of experience during the war, while an "old spacer" would be someone who had several tours of duty before the war as well.
    Am I even close???
    I should have told you before, your character would be 10 advancements. Old Spacers are like towards the end of their career, ala Martok over Worf. By my system, Worf would be 10 advances and Someone like Ezri Dax 5

Does this help?

Does this help?
    Yes, it does. And indeed you told me about the 10 advancements for my character. I just wanted to make sure you hadn't changed your mind.

BTW, do we use any rules from the SOM for character creation or do you want us to use the PG rules alone?
    If we use the SOM I may have to reserve the right to some later chages for my character, as I don't have the book yet. (It's on mail order, but if it takes much longer it will be the first and last book I order from that retailer - it's taking forever. )

The Cardassians are devastated, and divided. The Detapa Council is very pro-Federation, the military is not so much. Many Guls have been heard talking about how the Cardassians should determine their future, not the Federation. This despite the vast amounts of aide and relief the UFP has sent to the Cardassian people.
    So does this mean that the security folks will have to deal with mobs of Cardassians waiving protest signs that say "Feddie go Home!"?

What other (known) Alien governments/organizations are we likely to see? Any Dominion/Breen/Gorn/Tholians/Whatevers? I won't ask about Unknown Alien Species, but is there a bunch of unexplored space nearby to potentially complicate things?

Boy, Friday is going to be a Red Letter day; unfortunately, I'll be out of town receiving my MS at the time the game starts, so you'll have to pardon my lateness...

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

BTW, do we use any rules from the SOM for character creation or do you want us to use the PG rules alone?
    Other than some new stuff (Professional Abilities I thinK) what are the major differences between the PG and SOM? Anyone?

Originally posted by Chris Landmark So does this mean that the security folks will have to deal with mobs of Cardassians waiving protest signs that say "Feddie go Home!"?
    Not yet. Right now the grumbling is higher up. Who knows where it will go though

Originally posted by Chris Landmark What other (known) Alien governments/organizations are we likely to see? Any Dominion/Breen/Gorn/Tholians/Whatevers? I won't ask about Unknown Alien Species, but is there a bunch of unexplored space nearby to potentially complicate things?
    For now the game focuses on the Klingons, Cardies, Bajorans, Romulans and Feddies. Orions and Ferengi will also play a part. As to the rest, well that would be telling

Originally posted by Chris Landmark Boy, Friday is going to be a Red Letter day; unfortunately, I'll be out of town receiving my MS at the time the game starts, so you'll have to pardon my lateness...
    Friday is just the character deadline, not the play start date. Once I have characters in, there will be more talk between me and each player to try and make sure I get into their heads and make sure we start on the same page.

I should also mention this campaign will not be episodic. This is not a TV show, just based on one

There will be no end of an episode, things will just continue as they do. A more organic state if you will

There will be no end of an episode, things will just continue as they do. A more organic state if you will
    Sounds good, but if there is no episode end, at which times will we get Courage back?
    Do you plan to handle that on a case-by-case basis or will you set some fixed (IG or OOG) time interval for refreshing Courage?

And what about dice rolling? Will you do all that or do you trust us enough to put that into our hands?

Other than some new stuff (Professional Abilities I thinK) what are the major differences between the PG and SOM? Anyone?
    Let's see...

There's a few new professional development packages, the Fleet-based advancement packages,the Famous Ship and Famous Fleet edges, and all those combat skill "key traits" as well. And of course the new species.

No real differences, just more options.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Sounds good, but if there is no episode end, at which times will we get Courage back?
    Do you plan to handle that on a case-by-case basis or will you set some fixed (IG or OOG) time interval for refreshing Courage?

And what about dice rolling? Will you do all that or do you trust us enough to put that into our hands?
    I might do a once a month replenish or something like that, I don't know yet.

We shall see how it plays out first

As for rolling, I will let players roll, but it is a test to see if anyone tries to abuse the privelage. If they do, they ruin it for everyone.

I don't want to be a tyrant, but I think I should give everyone a chance before I rule something out

Originally posted by Chris Landmark
    Let's see...

There's a few new professional development packages, the Fleet-based advancement packages,the Famous Ship and Famous Fleet edges, and all those combat skill "key traits" as well. And of course the new species.

No real differences, just more options.
    Since nothing fundamental has changed, I WILL use the SOM material for this game. I am already using the racial templates already, so why not

Ahhh Shucks Aslan, your making me nostaligic for the good ole days o'gaming! You're goin bring a tear to me eye!

As for the other stuff in the SFOM, I'll give you a run down tomorrow. At the moment, I am apparently too tired to even finish this sentence, I had to edit in to finish, before hitting the link to post it.

Regards,
    CKV.

Aslan, is there a maximum skill rank that you want to set for the starting characters?

Also, I hope you meant Friday midnight PST as in roughly 24 hours from now. This being currently 11:21PM MST.

It's been an insane week here.

Regards,
    CKV.
    Last edited by Capt. K. Vaughn; 05-09-2003 at 01:04 AM.

Originally posted by Capt. K. Vaughn
    Aslan, is there a maximum skill rank that you want to set for the starting characters?

Also, I hope you meant Friday midnight PST as in roughly 24 hours from now. This being currently 11:21PM MST.

It's been an insane week here.

Regards,
    CKV.
    Yes indeed I meant later today, heading into early Saturday

As for skills, all I ask is that you be reasonable

Done. But perhaps you can answer one more question for me. Since a starship officer automatically picks up an elite profession is he considered to have one or two classes for the purposes of picking up another profession?

I would be inclined to treat them as only one profession myself but what if any is the official ruling and what is your game ruling if it differs?

Regards,
    CKV.