Thread: Federation Space Communication and Navigation Service

Federation Space Communication and Navigation Service

(Was working on this and was wanting some imput, also do you think this would be a Starfleet or Separate Federation operated service?)

Space Communication & Navigational Service (SC&NS)
    Among the many services operated by the Fe the SC&NS is one if not the most important one. Its main duty is to place, operate, maintain, repair and replace the Federation wide Space Communication & Navigational Network of navigational buoys and beacons and communication stations and Relays. Further this service provides additional navigation resources such as maps and standardized frequencies for security needs and normal & emergency commercial/civilian use.

The SC&NS also works closely with Starfleet Intelligence Command so much so that many see it as a part of the latter. This is because the SC&NS can provide the ability to monitor all communications (even those beyond Federation boundaries) thus providing an intelligence resource of unequal ability. The SC&NS also runs the most advanced code breaking apparatus for Federation security and police forces, including the main training schools for both Starfleet Intelligence and Federation Intelligence officers.

Another function of the SC&NS is to enforce Federation criminal, revenue and navigational laws on the spaceways, it also enforce port security, including traffic and pollution control. A recent addition has been the enforcement of Federation custom and immigration laws and staffing custom post in Federation ports. This has given the SC&NS the authority to board ships and conduct search and seizure operations of illegal cargos including the enforcement of the ban on Orion Slavery traffic.

One last duty of the SC&NS is to operate the Bureau of Space Safety which operates the many life saving stations and rescue craft stationed through out Federation space providing emergency rescue and medical aid when needed. This bureau is responsible for recommending, overseeing and enforcing space safety regulations for the construction and operation of private merchant craft, passenger liners, and for private yachts and other non-commercial vessels. In the same manner it recommends and enforces space safety regulations by conducting regular space safety courses and the issuing of proper certifications for merchant, passenger liner and private vessel crews and owners.

Except for the intelligence reference it sounds like the U.S Coast Guard. I would make it its own service attached to Starfleet in times of war.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

This is a great idea Eric.The Echo bouys deployed by Archer & crew were laid down by a Starfleet vessel and it makes sense that this would become a division of SF.It could have evolved into it's own organization over the years,something akin to the Merchant Marine,but I would run it as a small specialized fleet within the Starfleet command structure.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

I would tend to think that it should logically be a separate civilian government agency, like the FCC in the US. The only time we ever saw the personnel of a subspace relay station, however, was in Aquiel, where they were Starfleet personnel. This could well have been a special case since that station was on the frontier.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Sudden images of Battlemechs painted up in Starfleet colors.

*snort*

Otherwise nice writeup and idea. I may have to use it.

Regards,
    CKV.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    The only time we ever saw the personnel of a subspace relay station, however, was in Aquiel, where they were Starfleet personnel.
    Well, there was the communications station at Epsilon 9 in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which was also manned by Starfleet personnel.

Personally, since I consider Starfleet to be more like the Coast Guard than the Navy anyway, I think that the "Space Communications and Navigational Service" (SCANS ) would be just a division/department within Starfleet.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Ok then, a part of Starfleet, now under whose control?

Under the FASA table of Organization it would obviously fall under Starfleet Operating Froces as its own Command level division (in fact it was inspired by there Merchant Marine Command). However the Intelligence ability leads me to think it should have some ability to circumvent three levels of beuraracy to get to the Federation Council.

Under LUG table I see it operating under the office of the Chief in Command, in the same way I see fleet and theater admirals anserwing to him. This the office is but one step below the Presidents office and able to pass any of its information on that way free of both Federation Intelligence and Starfleet Intelligence interfearence. I like this idea the best.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Personally, this looks to me like a "staff" command, rather than a "fleet" command. Also, while SCANS has some intelligence duties, I would think it would be more appropriate to have it work with SFIC, rather than be a component of it.

I see SCANS as a staff directorate under the Chief of Starfleet Operations, maybe even answering to the Deputy Chief of Starfleet Operations. The SCANS chief would probably be no higher than a Rear Admiral (upper half).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Personally, this looks to me like a "staff" command, rather than a "fleet" command. Also, while SCANS has some intelligence duties, I would think it would be more appropriate to have it work with SFIC, rather than be a component of it.

I see SCANS as a staff directorate under the Chief of Starfleet Operations, maybe even answering to the Deputy Chief of Starfleet Operations. The SCANS chief would probably be no higher than a Rear Admiral (upper half).
    And they could have a few of my (blatant plug) Perry class frigates assigned. You could find them over in the Utopia Planitia board.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.