Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bakula & Berman on “Expanse”, season 3

Bloomington, IN - the heart of Limestone Country!

Bakula & Berman on “Expanse”, season 3

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T READ IF YOU HATE ENTERPRISE!

From TrekToday
    (http://www.trektoday.com/news/030503_01.shtml
    http://www.trektoday.com/news/010503_03.shtml
    go there - it's a great Trek news site!)

UPN [has] published the first image from Enterprise's sophomore season finale, "The Expanse".
    The episode sees the Enterprise NX-01 recalled to Earth after a devastating attack by an alien species known as the Xindi. Starfleet orders Enterprise into a region known as the Delphic Expanse to track down the Xindi, against the advice of the Vulcans.
    While the Vulcan High Command may not have the authority to stop Enterprise's new mission, they do have power over the vessel's first officer, Sub-Commander T'Pol. UPN's photo, seen here to the right, shows Jolene Blalock as T'Pol and recurring guest star Gary Graham as Vulcan Ambassador Soval in a scene from the episode.
    The photo's caption reads as follows: "When a mysterious and deadly force emerges from the far reaches of the galaxy threatening to destroy all of humanity, T'Pol (Jolene Blalock) is given a direct order from the Vulcan High Command not to participate in this mission."
    Enterprise's season ender will set up a new direction for year three, which will be detailed in the May 10 issue of TV Guide (story). While speaking with British magazine DreamWatch recently, star Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) made his first comments on the upcoming changes.
    "Our mission was peaceful exploration," Bakula told the magazine (via Sci-Fi Pulse). "Well, that's great, but I don't know that you can build that kind of TV series in this day and age for a long period of time. So I think what you're going to see is a different kind of energy come into the show that's going to give it a little more weight."
    "The Expanse" will air May 21 on UPN.
    -----
    Rick Berman revealed that next season will see Enterprise take on an entirely new mission after an alien attack devastates North America.
    In a TV Guide interview scheduled for publication in the May 10 issue, Berman said, "What we are about to do is a first for Star Trek...there has never been a Trek series built around a specific mission and specific stakes."
    In the case of Enterprise, in the May 21 season finale, "The Expanse", the mysterious Xindi send a probe to Earth that devastates everything between Florida and Venezuela. The Xindi have obtained information that Earth will destroy their home world centuries in the future, and have decided to strike first.
    "In the past, our captains have had the general mission to explore outer space," noted Berman. But on Enterprise, the future of mankind may rest with NX-01 crew: "It's up to Captain Archer to go there and stop them from destroying us altogether."
    As previously reported, Enterprise (which will be "retrofitted for war"), is set to head into a dangerous area of space known as the Delphic Expanse to track down the Xindi. According to the magazine, voyagers who enter this area of space "meet a shocking and grisly fate": "Their bodies become anatomically inverted (skin on the inside, organs on the outside), yet they somehow remain alive."
    TV Guide also reports on several other developments for next season, ranging from the first use of photon torpedoes in Starfleet history to a new outfit and hairdo for T'Pol.
    The issue, which features Smallville stars Tom Welling and Kristin Kreuk on the cover, will be on newsstands May 5.
    I'M Captain Kirk!!!!

I do like Enterprise, but I can't help being a bit concerned by this premise... couldn't really say why. Maybe the concept "big bad aliens destroying America and against whom a brave Terran ship is dispatched" doesn't quite enthrall me.
    Anyway, we shall see how this turn out
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

What the h...?

If they wanted an all-out conflict, why not use the Earth-Romulan war?

Anyway I'd like to see how the "unique mission" thing turns out. It's nice to have a show with a focus.

I'm a bit worried about the obvious parallel with the current world situation, though. I hope the whole thing is done with sensitivity and talent. (Ent-bashers, don't feel you need to answer this last phrase )

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Angry

Effin' hell.

I thought the Dominon War was a lame ratings stunt, but this is just pathetic.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

By the way, am I crazy or is there some kind of similarity between the spellings...

Xindi

and

Kzinti

?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot this sounds like Babylon 5 Crusade

Hmmmm an attack on Earth. A mysterious alien race. A ship made for exploration hunting down the bad guys across the galaxy..... A whole series based on this........ Hmmmmmmm......where have I heard that one before? It seems so so familiar........

WAIT! Bermen is "borrowing" (ripping off) JMS's ideas for Babylon Crusade!. So taking the series that JMS came up with making it his own. Wow. What next? Technomages? Is the evil enemy that attacked Earth going to be Drakh like? Are we seeing Vorlons and Shadows in Enterprises Future? Are they setting a plague on Earth? Using a planet killer the Enterprise destroys?

So other than JMS what else is Bermen going to "borrow"?
    Are we seeing a guy, named Fenus Fog, and a boy travel through time using an antique watch appear as part of this Time Travel cold war?
    Are we seeing Vipers launching out of Enterprise's bay?
    Are we going to have a Captain trapped in the Event Horizon with a major battleship that is in love with him help the crew?
    Are we seeing Face Huggers and Aliens in our future?
    Are agents Mulder and Skully going to explore the ship for mysterious aliens?
    Are we going to see Count Dracula?
    Oh wait they are going to visit Krypton!
    Where is Neo to save us all!?

Enterprise is a bad show this kind of major change to the whole story arc is a sign.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

I'm hoping it will be good and turn the show around.

I had hopes for this show and after watching Future Tense and Cease Fire, I know it can be a good and engaging show

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Exclamation Just remember, I LIKE ent...

"Our mission was peaceful exploration," Bakula told the magazine (via Sci-Fi Pulse). "Well, that's great, but I don't know that you can build that kind of TV series in this day and age for a long period of time. So I think what you're going to see is a different kind of energy come into the show that's going to give it a little more weight."
    ANGER..... RISING.....!!!

Where the hell does he get off saying that??? This is STAR TREK, not UPN BLOOD FEST!!!!

GRRRRR....
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I doubt that they're canonizing the Kzinti, although it would be interesting.

Removing T'Pol from the show would be a good idea.

I wish they could continue with peaceful exploration.

Are they ever going to make a definitive statement that the timeline has been changed?

Are the Enterprise crew going to be anatomically inverted for the rest of the series?

Are other Earth ships going to help the Enterprise?

Are the Andorians or anyone going to help?

Overall, I like Enterprise, but there are definately things about it I don't like and episodes I don't watch.

Originally posted by T'lara

WAIT! Bermen is "borrowing" (ripping off) JMS's ideas for Babylon Crusade!.
    Oh give me a break. While there is a similarity in their storylines, that does not mean he's 'ripping off' anything. Not to mention, that Crusade wasn't exactly the most original idea ever anyway.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

poster

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW...minor ones probably, but I figure I'd give people a chance to avert their eyes.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Originally posted by Cochrane
    I doubt that they're canonizing the Kzinti, although it would be interesting.
    Actually, Berman intimated in the TV Guide article that the Xindi would be a multi-species race. IOW, a number of sentient species evolved nearly simultaneously on their homeworld and now co-habitate. He specifically mentioned an insectoid species.

T'Pol is not going away. The article stated that they're changing her hair style (maybe they'll let Jolene use her own hair, instead of stuffing it underneath that skull cap of hers) and her uniform (specifically stated a "different cat suit"). Also, she's supposed to actually resign her commission with the Vulcan High Command because of the order to "not participate."

Other stuff from the TV Guide article:

As part of the refit, the Enterprise will now carry a squad/company of SEAL-like commandoes (non-Starfleet types) for added muscle. Berman stated that if any of the actors really shine, they may be added to the regular cast.

Also, the attack on Earth is supposed to destroy everything from Florida to Venezuela. Tucker's sister and his Florida home town are both casualties. This will inject a streak of vengance into the Tucker character.

Oh, and what Styro said.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

poster
    Last edited by StyroFoam Man; 05-06-2003 at 06:03 PM.