Thread: 10 New Spells

10 New Spells

I posted these on the main decipher forum, I got very little feedback on them. What do you guy think?

Spells

Here are some extra spells that are fun, fair and flavorful (did ya notice all of those started with an f? Yeah, this guy is pretty clever, methinks.)

Lightning Strike OR Call Lightning: Time- 2 actions. Range- 10 yds. per point of Brg. WEAR TN- 15. Cost- 2. Method- Standard, Runes(YES!). Specialty- Air. Requisite- Lightning. Effect- Calls a bolt of Lightining down from the sky doing 4d6+4 damage to the target with half damage to surrounding squares (a radius of approx. 4 yards). Like Lightning damage can be halved w/ a successful Swiftness TN of 20(the TN is 15 for old normal lightning spell). Note: can’t use this spell underground

Breathe Water: Time- 2 actions. Duration- 1 minute per pt. of Brg. Wear TN- 7. Cost- 1 pick. Methods- any. Specialty- Water. Requisite- None. Effect- Can breath water like air for specified period of time but cant stay water indefinitely (must come up for air when spells effect is over.)

Enhance Ability- Casting Time-1 action. Range- Self. Duration- 8 rounds. Weariness TN- 10. Cost- 2 spell picks. Method- Any. Specialty- None. Effect- Enhance ability raises either the spell casters Nimbleness or Strength attribute by 2 for the duration of the spell. By increasing the TN by 2 (limit by 4) the caster gains an additional +1 to his attribute. Note: Raising the Attribute will not raise your characters reactions. Note: since Enhance Ability is temporary, characters scores may exceed 12 plus their racial modifiers.

Fireball: Time- 2 action. Range- 1 yard per point of Brg. Wear TN- 10. Cost- 2 picks. Methods- any. Specialty- Fire(duh). Requisite- Kindle Fire(2 picks). Effect- with a successful ranged combat or Nimbleness test, the caster shoots a small ball of fire at a single enemy causing 2d6+4 damage and at the failure of a TN 10 Swiftness test sets the enemy on fire. Note: Can be used in conjunction with Burning Sparks, the fireball counts as a Campfire size. People will say how fireball is un-Tolkien but if you look at the actual spell it’s a lot less powerful than say Lightning.

Earthquake: Time- 1 min. Range- epicenter must be within1 mile per point of Bearing, the area effect by the earthquake must be less than or equal 50 yards per point of Bearing. Weariness TN- 13. Cost- 2 picks. Methods- Any. Specialty- Earth?. Requisite- Any 10 spells. Duration- between ¼ of a minute and 2 minutes(determined by Narrator). Effect- Shakes the land in great upheaval, cowering foes, hindering movement, and destroying buildings. Buildings receive damage to their structure equal to the caster’s Brg modifier + 1d6, protection only counts half (rounded down) when reducing damage done by earth quakes.

Shield of Light: Time- F/R action. Range- self. Duration- 1 round. Wear TN- 12. Cost- 2. Method- Runes, Std. Specialty- Fire, Smoke, and Light. Requisite- Create Light, 5 spell picks. Effect- Surrounds caster with shield preventing all damage till his next turn. Nothing can enter the shield and nothing can leave it. (This is supposed to represent what Gandalf did in the movie on the Bridge of Kazad-dum.)

Warding Spell- Casting Time- 2 min. Range- an area in radius less than or equal to 10 feet per point of Bearing. Duration- 1 hour per point of bearing. Weariness TN- 10. Cost- 2 spell picks. Method- Std. Runes. Specialty- None. Effect- Warding Spell can be used to alert the spell caster if a designated person or group of people enters into the warded area. The groups are defined in the same way as they are in the exclusion spell, e.g. “Orcs”, “any one”, “Samwise Gamgee”. Once a designated person or type of person enters the area a signal designated by the spell caster goes off the signal could be the caster knows immediately the ward has been entered, or a bird call goes of in the night, etc. The radius of warding can be extended by 10 feet per every +2 to the Weariness TN. Once the ward has been broken it must be recasted if it’s to be used again. Note: The caster must be standing in the middle of the area to be warded when the spell is cast, but after casting he may move anywhere.

Blast of Wind- Effect, A powerful burst of wind blows from the caster knocking down enemies who fail a TN 10 Swiftness reaction in an area extending from the caster 4 yards wide and 16 yards long. WearTN is 10, can add +2 to it to raise the Swiftness Reaction by 1. Specalty- air, water. Method- Std, runes, Song. Time-1 action. Cost- 1 pick

Storm-Raising -Casting Time- 2 min. Range- 50 feet per point of Bearing. Duration- see text. Weariness TN- 12. Cost- 1 spell pick. Method- Std., Song. Specialty- Air, Water. Effect- Like fog-raising but this spell allows the caster to summon a powerful thunderstorm of course the caster has no control over how long it takes the storm to develop or how long it lasts. Storms can be used to water crops or frighten enemies and it some times grants bonuses to Intimidate.

Drain Courage[S]- Casting Time- 2. Range- 2 feet per point of Bearing. Duration- Immediate. Weariness TN- 12. Cost- 2 spell picks. Method- Std. Specialty- Sorcery. Requisite- Brg 10+, Intimidate +8. Effect- A sorcerer may drain 1d3 points of courage from any character if he succeeds in a opposed Willpower test in which the caster gets a +4 bonus[Note neither player is allowed to spend courage in this test]. Improvement- For an additional 2 spell picks the caster may include up to two targets with this spell [He makes an opposed willpower test against both of them, if either succeeds neither loses any couage.]
    "How come if I'm the protaginist, Lord Aragorn gets two love intrests, and I'm stuck in a sub-plot with DIck Cheney!"
    -Frodo

Re: 10 New Spells

Originally posted by Elendur

Drain Courage[S]- Casting Time- 2. Range- 2 feet per point of Bearing. Duration- Immediate. Weariness TN- 12. Cost- 2 spell picks. Method- Std. Specialty- Sorcery. Requisite- Brg 10+, Intimidate +8. Effect- A sorcerer may drain 1d3 points of courage from any character if he succeeds in a opposed Willpower test in which the caster gets a +4 bonus[Note neither player is allowed to spend courage in this test]. Improvement- For an additional 2 spell picks the caster may include up to two targets with this spell [He makes an opposed willpower test against both of them, if either succeeds neither loses any couage.]
    This one seems far too game-mechanic focused to really fit the genre, you know?

I mean, characters in Middle-earth know what a lightning bolt is - but do they know what Courage Points are?

Well maybe.....

But I think draining courage more represents Evil charectors ablity to sap the 'will' out of the good guys, Like the Nazgul reendering ppl helpless
    "How come if I'm the protaginist, Lord Aragorn gets two love intrests, and I'm stuck in a sub-plot with DIck Cheney!"
    -Frodo

I agree that it is too focused on game mechanics. loosing all your courage does not make you incapabale of doing things. drain will, maybe..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Re: 10 New Spells

Originally posted by Elendur
    I posted these on the main decipher forum, I got very little feedback on them. What do you guy think?
    Lightning Strike OR Call Lightning - I like this one, as it represents the caster drawing on the natural magic of Middle-earth, rather than the super-power style of regular lightning.

Breathe Water - not so fond of this one - seems of limited use, and is more D&D-style than ME style. Your mileage may vary.

Enhance Ability - doesn't really feel epic or mysterious - but again, this is just to taste.

Fireball ... People will say how fireball is un-Tolkien but if you look at the actual spell it’s a lot less powerful than say Lightning. - It's not the damage range, it's the tone. It just has too many connotations with standard fantasy RPGs, especially the Knights of the Dinner "Fireball coming online" style of play. Just not very subtle or in keeping with the other treatment of magic. Of course, you think differently, but you did ask for opinions.

Earthquake - A bit overpowerful, and so devastating that to my mind, it should be Sorcery, or a special ability owned by Ents or the like. Something which damages the land so much, and causes such fear to the natural inhabitants, to me is a tool of the Enemy.

Shield of Light - Negating all damage seems a bit much. Perhaps a pool of Armor points must be overcome? Or "...all damage from Creatures of Shadow."?

Warding Spell - perfectly in keeping with Tolkien, and not over-powerful.

Blast of Wind - as above, though I don't know if I'd let it be cast with runes - which seem more solid than a wind-gale.

Storm Raising - this one needs more focus - as in how long the storm will take to arrive, how large it is, how long it lasts. Additionally, summoning a storm to water a crop is a bit overkill - when storms often damage crops. Under what conditions would it frighten enemies? How much of a bonus to Intimidate? When would this apply?

Drain Courage[S] - as commented above, too mechanics-oriented for my tastes. My litmus test for a spell would be that if you can, in character (as a wizard), describe the effects accurately, or if you can describe it in the terms of a story, it is probably all right. If not, it is too mechanics-oriented.

How would Tolkien have described the effects of this spell?

"And then, when the dire words of this charm had burnt the air, the defenders of the walls felt that if the occasion arose that they were not going to succeed in the task they had set forth, they had little chance of some additional means of ensuring success."

Doesn't really work for me.

THX, some very good points.......

Yes Shield of Light should be changed to what you suggested.....

I see what you mean about Fireball, My players didn't really have a problem with it but I would imagine most ppl will......

Thats a type-o on using runes for Blast of Wind.
    -Frodo