Thread: New Federation Starship class

New Federation Starship class

for the RPG I am running tonight, I wanted the players to have a new class of starship to play with. The new class is called Expedition. Its the first one to roll off the assembly line, so it has an NX registry number. Basic design of the ship: think 24th century remake of the Enterprise NX-01
    This is the first "offical" battle ship designed by the Federation. with their losses in the Dominion War, Starfleet felt the need to put some stronger ships into the fleet incase hostilities should arise again among some new or old power. the Expedition Class starship is the first of a new class of battle criuser.

PRODUCTION DATA
    Origin---UFP
    Class and Type--- Expedition Class, Fast Battleship
    Year Launched--- 2376

HULL DATA
    Structure 40
    Size/Decks-- 8/ 8
    Length/Height/Beam -- 225/85/90
    Complement -- 85

OPERATION DATA
    Atmospheric Capable: no
    Transpoters: 4 standard, 4 emergency
    Cargo Units: 80
    Shuttlebay: 1
    Shuttlecraft: 8
    Tractor Beam: 1 FV
    Separation System: no
    Sensor System: class 4 (+4/E)
    Operations System: Class 4 (reliability E)
    Life Support: Class 4 (reliability E)

PRODUCTION DATA
    Impulse System: Class 7 (.92c) (D)
    Warp System: Class 7.6 (Warp 7/8/9.6) (E)

TACTICAL DATA
    Beam Primary: Phaser Banks Pulse Type I x 2
    Beam Secondary: Phaser Banks Pulse Type I x 2
    Penetration: 5//5/4 (D)(D)
    Missile Primary: Quantum Torpedo Quantum Mark I x2
    Missile Seconday: Quantum Torpedo Quantum Mark I x 2
    Penetration: 7/7/7/7/7 (D)(D)
    Deflector Shield: Class 7 (E)
    Protection/Threshold 17/5

MISCELLANEOUS DATA
    Maneuvers Modifiers 0C, 0H, 2 T

Edges and Flaws
    Ablative Armor
    Design Flaw Warp System
    Vulnerable System Transporters

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Okay, I pulled out the NG (since that seems to be the medium you built this ship from...you really should pick up Starships). Aside from the fact that I disagree with the idea that Starfleet (even a post-DW Starfleet) would build pure warships (i.e., Battleships, Dreadnoughts and Destroyers), I have a problem with the design:

Length/Height/Beam -- 225/85/90
    Okay, as you wrote it, length fits a size 5, beam fits a size 5, and height fits a size 6. How can you justify calling this ship a size 8, by any stretch of the imagination?

Also, even as listed, your "fast battleship" would have a minimum of 17 decks...that means your crew complement should be at the very least 255. If you want to make the ship heavily automated, then, maybe, you could get away with 200. But 80? That's way too low, IMO.

Aside from that...your design is sound, point-wise, for a size 8 ship.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I don't know about Starships, but under basic NG rules you can't take Vulnerable System for the Transporters alone, as they have no seperate damage track - they are part of the Ops system.

Well I would not call it expedition class, if it is a warship. I always felt, that the class-name should already set the moot for the ship. Thus if its a battle ship I would prefer some kind of war-like name.

Just my two cents
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Originally posted by Evan van Eyk
    Well I would not call it expedition class, if it is a warship. I always felt, that the class-name should already set the moot for the ship. Thus if its a battle ship I would prefer some kind of war-like name.
    Actually, US Marines are organized into MEU's: Marine Expeditionary Units. So, if you think "Expedition" in that sense, it would fit. But the name of this ship is the least of its worries....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Warren --

I was hoping that you would have responded to my concerns on the ship's size and crew complement.

I'm actually somewhat disappointed that you haven't, despite being online numerous times since I first posted my reply.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Actually, US Marines are organized into MEU's: Marine Expeditionary Units. So, if you think "Expedition" in that sense, it would fit. But the name of this ship is the least of its worries....

Agreed. Actually I have not known that this counts for the english word as well. However I would choose something more intimidating.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I have a friend who has a book from way back in the day called "Prototype" It had some really cool designs in it its at least ten years old if not more. but really cool I did the U.S.S. Adamant NCC-3029. The other night it turned out okay. Only one problem it was supposed to be a Dreadnaught minimum size is 7. But this ship was firmly size level 6 both in dimensions and in space requirements. So I decided that it would most likley be a Heavy Frigate because of its design.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

Originally posted by buck rogers
    I have a friend who has a book from way back in the day called "Prototype" It had some really cool designs in it its at least ten years old if not more. but really cool I did the U.S.S. Adamant NCC-3029...
    If you like those ships, buck, check this thread out:

[Coda Starships] Starfleet Prototype, 2291-92

I did my six favorite (and most realistic, IMO) ships from that book (which I have).

On the design, his point totals are accurate for a Size 8 dreadnought, although the dimensions and crew complement suggest it's something else. I'd just like to find out what his justifications were in building the ship this way.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz