Thread: CODA Genre Books?

CODA Genre Books?

For the folks in the know, are there plans to produce TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and/or Enterprise genre books? Maybe softcover supplements with information about the Series' integration into the RPG setting?

I ask only because I am keen on more background material based around the various series (though I do like the more open setting produced by Decipher).

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

When DecTrek was first announced, they said series sourcebooks would be among the first releases. It seems they've changed their minds. Last I knew, they did plan to release an Enterprise sourcebook with the Limited Edition Player and Narrator books.

As I understand it, the current plan is to take care of more genral aspects first (like Starships, Aliens, Worlds, etc.), do soucebooks specific to one or two professions, and to produce a couple of products that basically take up where LUG left off. I'm sure there will be series-specific books in the future (Jess has mentioned a TNG book in the past), but I don't know when they will be coming down the pike.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Where LUG left off? such as the ones already announced? Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Cochrane
    When DecTrek was first announced, they said series sourcebooks would be among the first releases. It seems they've changed their minds. Last I knew, they did plan to release an Enterprise sourcebook with the Limited Edition Player and Narrator books.
    Of course, if you recall, there was a poll here on TREK RPG Net asking users if they preferred an independent core rule book for each TREK series (and resulting support materials) or if they preferred integrated core rule books relevant to all series.

Decipher listened to the poll and released integrated books. It seems to me that to support this product, you'd have to release integrated support materials first. I mean, it would be silly to release your first two integrated core rule books and then release a Voyager Worlds sourcebook when your audience may want materials that would support Deep Space Nine or The Next Generation.

Series sourcebooks would also have been impractical, unwieldy, and expensive. (I mean, would you rather pay for 5 World books or 5 Starship books -- one for each Trek series ? Not me. I'd rather have an integrated book for each topic. Even if you integrated Aliens, Creatures, and Worlds of a particular series into a single sourcebook, it would make cross-series referencing a real pain. )

Once Aliens, Creatures, and Worlds gets released, I'm sure Decipher will get down to materials featuring the subtlties of the various Trek series.

Me ? I can't wait for the Mirror Universe sourcebook.

You guys are right: integrated setting materials first, then era-specific stuff.

First era-specific book I'd like to see: Original Series Movie-Era. Clearly, someone at Decipher likes the Movie-Era as much as I do: the illustration for the Connie in both the NG and Starships is not the original Matt Jeffries design, but instead the gorgeous Movie-Era Connie.
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com

I definately want the Movie era covered separately from TOS. It should have a Main book, and possibly its own Aliens, Worlds, and possibly Creatures and Ships books. And yes, I realize this is all far away.

A Movies Aliens book could contain many species from TMP, the Council, and Rura Penthe.

Movies supplements could go into more detail on some of the same species etc as the Main aliens etc books.

I want the Movies to have their own books partly to give the 23rd century closer to the amount of material that the 24th will have.

Can anyone think of any other Movies specific books they could do? Would it make sense to have sourcebooks specific to each movie in addition to the Movies Aliens, etc books?

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    Series sourcebooks would also have been impractical, unwieldy, and expensive. (I mean, would you rather pay for 5 World books or 5 Starship books -- one for each Trek series ? Not me. I'd rather have an integrated book for each topic.)
    Sorry, can't say that the same goes for me. I have been playing in the TNG era for 3 years now and I have no plans to change that anytime soon. So for me one single TNG sourcebook that has some worlds, alines and races of the TNG era in it would be much better than buying 3 different books for each of these topics.
    Even if I decided to move the game onward to the DS9 era that would only mean buying a second era book. To me that would still be better than 3 books.

While I think the non-era-specific core books (PG and NG) were a really good idea I am not too happy about all the upcomming books being written that way.

Smile

And the original thought was one series sourcebook for each series, not 5 Aliens books, 5 Starships books, etc. Although I would be open to this down the road. One TNG book could include planets, aliens, ships, creatures, and "feel" material.

It would be cool if they came out with a Starfleet Academy book too. That would let you get easier background info into your character's past at the Academy, which would help with character creation.
    Riggen Out.