View Poll Results: Which organization would you have a shady undercover agent affiliated with?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Tal Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence) [not the Tal Shiar]

4 36.36%
  • Section 31

7 63.64%

Thread: Ally/Nemesis. Which would you choose?

Ally/Nemesis. Which would you choose?

Right now, one of my various campaigns in my parallel dimension is occurring during the Dominion War.

I am running a solo PBEM for a former member of one of my groups with the intention that when the live game gets going again that we bring in this character to the current campaign thread.

His character ended up leaving the live game due to RL obligations and timing incompatibility with the others but that is soon to change. Due to his having to leave the campaign that was going at that time his character ended up on SB 39-Sierra recovering from injuries and taking additional training in Strat Ops.

This episode started with him almost being killed when he stumbles upon a smuggler on the starbase. The smuggler thought he was another agent tracking him and acted out of necessity and fear of being caught.

The real agent grabbed our PC and essentially kidnapped him so as to avoid entanglements and to ensure that he lived given the poison on the blade.

Once he had recovered, he learned that they were on their way to Inu Tonstu to stop this smuggler who had obtained a cloaking device for the Syndicate. The Syndicate had recently acquired a number of Hideki-class fighters and it was rumored that they were building a carrier somewhere.

This agent has to stop the smuggler before the Syndicate can get the cloaking device and install it on the carrier otherwise merchant traffic and colonies in the region will be effectively defenseless.

The PC has agreed to help, he knows that she is an agent and suspects her to be related in some way to some Federation/Starfleet agency...she has allowed him to think that but has confirmed nothing.

They are going to pose as Freetraders recently wed and looking discretely for a number of shady contacts to purchase weapons and other equipment for a Home Guard movement brewing on Valer IV.

This agent though while currently allied and playing with our hero's emotions owes allegiance to a shady organization. I am currently leaning toward the Tal Diann but lately I have been considering Section 31.

Which organization would you use and why?

Thanks.

Regards,
    CKV.

Well, the Tal Diann is standard Military Intelligence, not whiter than white, but definately not a 'shady' organisation...

But then, personally I also wouldn't use Section 31, as (IMO) they dont operate like that, if for example your NPC was an S31 operative then it would be through several levels of handlers and often under the impression of working for someone completely different (think Alias for the confusing web of bluff and double cross)...

I notice that you dont seem to be considering either the Tal Shiar, the Obsidian Order or the Orion Syndicate... Is this deliberate.

Of them all, the Orions Syndicate seems the most likely candidate running the character through threat, reward and blackmail. And eventually offering a glimmer of sympathy and redemption later when forced to turn against them...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Nice premise.The Tal Diann would be ,in my opinion something that would be predictable.Predictable in the sense that players would expect that kind of organization from the Romulans.Covert ops,espionage,ect. Playing Section 31 would give a player the chance to go against the morals and values everyone expects from the UFP.That kind of character would have only other S31 operatives to rely on and might be in constant danger of being exposed by the citizens he's sworn to protect.This would be the opportunity for some great roleplaying.

My 2 Solaris worth.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

First off the Orion Syndicate are the bad guys in this episode. They're trying to develop a cloaked carrier complete with a squadron of fighter craft.

The cloaking device has been stolen from the Romulans for the time being but the Romulans have yet to enter the Dominion War because they are currently at war with the Taurhai hence the reason for the pact with the Dominion in my campaign.

Furthermore, this player has no knowledge of the Tal Diann and I feel the Tal Shiar angle is too predictable. Nor can I see an Obsidian Order agent teaming up with a Starfleet agent early in the DW to stop a Syndicate plot that would further destablize the Federation.

The general idea atm if it works out is that the two part ways after developing something of an intimate connection right near the climax, with the PC never quite sure who she works for and then some time down the road, the truth will be uncovered at a critical juncture in another mission that puts the two at odds.

Regards,
    CKV.