Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Camapign Idea

Question My Camapign Idea

Hi All,

Just finished reading both Avatar books today(they are quick reads) and I think they were pretty cool. I will be using them for a campaign Start. In this campaign It won't be the Defiant doing the exploration, it will be the PC's vessel. I'm leaning towards an Intrepic class. But i've also considered a Nova, a Saber, and a Sovereign. Any thoughts? Or perhaps a Galaxy class as well.

I got too thinking that the sovereign would make their lives too easy but I know many off you have used galaxy classes in your games and Galaxies have almost everything as well. That and the Soverign just looks AWESOME!!. This will also be my first attempt at running a CODA game so wish me luck.

And would anyone know if the Mission Gamma Books are the direct next series after Avatar featuring the same characters?

Thanks all.
    Last edited by IceGiant; 05-16-2003 at 11:17 PM.

Since you listed my favourite Class of ship, I will say Intrepid-class.

I like the Intrepid. Tough enough, but not too tough, makes the characters have to use their heads instead of quantum torpedoes.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Re: My Camapign Idea

Originally posted by IceGiant
    Hi All,

Just finished reading both Avatar books today (they are quick reads) and I think they were pretty cool. I will be using them for a campaign Start. In this campaign It won't be the Defiant doing the exploration, it will be the PC's vessel. I'm leaning towards an Intrepic class. But i've also considered a Nova, a Saber, and a Sovereign. Any thoughts? Or perhaps a Galaxy class as well.

I got too thinking that the Sovereign would make their lives too easy but I know many off you have used galaxy classes in your games and Galaxies have almost everything as well. That and the Soverign just looks AWESOME!!. This will also be my first attempt at running a CODA game so wish me luck.

And would anyone know if the Mission Gamma Books are the direct next series after Avatar featuring the same characters?

Thanks all.
    Mission Gamma does take place after Avatar. The Defiant has been refit to be more of an explorer vessel as it was started to be done in Avatar. Commander Elias Vaughn with Ezri Dax as his XO and Julian as the Chief Doctor have crossed the Worm Hole exploring Dominion Space. Meanwhile Kira is dealing with the Federation as Bajor may be come part of the Federation. I am reading the 2nd Book right now for my game research. So far I have liked this series. All the Mission Gamma books are written by different Authors but they are all the same story.

Do not forget the Deep Space Nine-Section 31: Abyss this takes place immeadately after Avatar. There is the the Gateways Book as well.

As for Starship.....
    I am assuming your Series is suppose to be primarily Exploration: I would say go for Intripid, Sovereign or Nova. This comes down to size of the crew and your needs for your game. Sovereign is a giant mobile space station with a lot of facilities and covers about everything. This can be a good or a bad thing. Intripid is more stream line. The Nova is a good smaller vessel itself.
    You could also use a Galaxy Class as they are still massively in service, but many of the Sovereign advatages are shared.

If the crew is working out of a Starbase like the crew in Mission Gamma you might want to have a shorter ranged vessel like the Nova or refit the Saber or Defiant. The joys of having Starships is you can do that.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

I would say Intrepid class, but then I'm biased since it's my favourite 24th century ship. That said, it's a nice smaller exploration ship, that has a nice 'family-sized' crew. It's not so big that it's like a spaceliner, or abattleship. But it's tough, fast, and well-fitted for exploration, IMHO.

And it just looks so neat

Good luck with your campaign.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I'm actually leaning towards the galaxy. Everyone knows what it looks like, i've got the deck plans and the tech manual.

I think using the intrepid would seem to "Voyager Like" . I'm looking at having them go on a 5 year mission with no resupply unless things go "Really" wrong.

With the losses of the dominion war do people think the crew rosters are at full? i.e Would Galaxy class ships all have their full 1012 crew?

And I'm not puting down anyone's ideas, i asked what class people thought, just trying to show how my thinking is going.

Thanks for all you input so far.

Immediately following the war for a few years, I could see ships not being staffed by their full complement while Starfleet attempts to spread the fleet around and replace the vast number of experienced personnel that were lost.

My own opinion would be that from about the end of the war until around the time of Nemesis quite a number of ships would not have a full crew. Maybe even longer.

Regards,
    CKV.

I guess the smaller crew is my cop-out as this will be my first trek game as a narrator and i'm a little unsure if i can handle the large crew.

Perhaps I should go with the Intrepid. Small size crew , very up to date and able to handle long ways away from home.

Actually, my advice to you, is pick your favourite ship, and just use that. Make your campaign fit the ship if you need to

If you like the ship, you can find plenty of reasons to use it. I still say Intrepid or Nova are good choices though

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Ice Giant, check your e-mail for an important message if you're going to use the Intrepid.

What did you end up using anyway, IceGiant?

Hey Cut,

It ended up being a non starter to be honest. I can't get my group interested enough in ST to play.

I've had a renewed interest in ST of late, and I may try and find another group to play with.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

I am having the same problem with my group . only a few them want to play ST .

I was afraid you might say that...

Concerning roleplaying Star Trek with close friends, I share the problem.

Good luck to both of you