Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got the Nemesis DVD

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ah...the bashing...

Originally posted by Joe Dizzy
    I'm not saying it was a bad movie, because I didn't like it. I'm saying it was a bad movie, because the story-telling was inept.
    I fear that this is another subjective judgement, since I completely fail to see how the story telling in Nemesis was inept. I have my share of complaints about the movie (like a few characterisations errors at the beginning or the way Worf was handled the whole movie), but I found nothing spectacularly wrong in Nemesis' storytelling.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ah...the bashing...

Originally posted by Ergi
    Well, I'm glad to hear that we seem to have some common favorites (but ST IV has to be added to my list) and I apologize if you feel insulted or anything by my previous post. I am aware of the fact that late ENT season has been to your liking, but you have made a lot of comments before, that cannot be easily ignored. Search for "Phantom hate" in this forum and you will find some examples. Since most of your bashing was concentrated on Enterprise I have obviously overestimated the real mean hate level.

Sorry.
    No insult taken, I just don't like it when people put words in my mouth. That's all.

Arrrgghhh... seat belts.

Do people really think those are cool? I mean, star trek pretty much doesn't go for clunky stuff like that - otherwise they would sue bulkheads, not forcefields

I just think it spoils the feel. I mean - whats the point of it being sci-fi if the technology is the same?

later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

The problem is since Star Trek IV was the most successful Star Trek movie, and contained more humour than those which came before it, every movie since has tried to shoehorn humour in, thinking it's a recipe for success. Problem is it doesn't always work that way. The whole seatbelt thing has been done to death, and wasn't even that funny an idea in the first place.
    This also accounts for why Worf has become comic relief. Do we need comic relief in a Star Trek movie ? TPTB seem to think so.
    I don't mind humour in movies but often in Star Trek it just seems to be there because someone thinks we should have humourous moments, rather than humour arising from character or situation in a natural way.

Renny

Renny, you've put the finger on one of the most pervasive problems in the latest ST films... very well put!

Amen...

Yes, Renny, I must also agree. And the most blatant use of such an attempt at a cash-in was Voyage Home's immediate followup...The Final Frontier.

The comedy in that movie was not the "fish out of water" (no pun intended) humor that we saw in Star Trek IV:Save the Whales. The comedy in FF was blatant one liners and physical comedy that just didn't seem to fit in Trek.

When I got to meet James Doohan in Memphis, TN at a convention (they were pre-producing The Undiscovered Country at this time) he stated that he did not like what was done with Scotty in FF. He said that Scotty would not blindly walk into the bulkhead or outcropping of a location that he would know so well...even after a brief time spent with it. He was very vehement in blasting William Shatner for ramming that film down Paramount's throat.

Humor in Star Trek is good...as long as it is relevant humor. On the same token though, some jokes do need to be accessible to the casual viewer as well. Mostly inside jokes tend to alienate potential fans.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009