Thread: Why did Nemesis do so bad in the theaters

Why did Nemesis do so bad in the theaters

I was unable to see Star Trek Nemesis when it came out on the big screen because i was ill in the hospital. I bought the DVD last night and I absolutely loved the film. I thought it was much better than Insurrection and ranked right up there with First Contact. I have heard that the film "sucked eggs" by some of my friends. I thought the acting by Shinzon (Tom Hardy) was excellent, esp the scene in the Captain's Ready Room before the climatic battle (which was the battle i had always hoped to see on a Star Trek screen).
    Why question is: Why did the film do so badly in the Box Office. was it because LOTR was out at the same time or is the fan base just over saturated with Trek right now? again, (just my own personal opinion) I loved the movie. thanks for your comments!!!

This thread:
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=7850
    reviews Nem; you might find pointers there.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    Really, it has to do with the overwhelming momentum of hate that is making the rounds now.

We hate France, we hate Canada, we hate everything that is not a Cop show, we hate this, we hate that.

Uh...yeah, that's it. How 'bout it was packaged between LOTR the new Bond flick and Harry Potter. That alone was gonna kill it: Trek is a relatively small fan base, compared those three.

After watching the DVD, I came to conclusion that Stuart Baird & Rick Berman left too much on the cutting room floor int he attempt to get the film under two hours: the Data-Picard scene early on that was cut was, IMO as a professional writer, key to binding the movie; the characters are what these movies should be about. They'd forgotten that. Shinzon, while beautifully acted, needed more definition -- a scene with the Viceroy, to explain their relationship, I think was an essential bit missing. It might have also given Shinzon more animus -- a tug of war between what he is -- Picard -- and who he is -- Viceroy's "son".

Nitpicking types, which seem to abund in this particular genre, might note the lack of concern for the prime directive on the alien world they find B-4 . Or the amazing strength of Scimitar's shieds against 3 heavy hitting ships (which it could swat with practically one shot.) Or Worf -- an ambassador -- taking a subordinate role on the ship (though he's in red...) Or Deana suddenly being telepathy, instead of empathic (hello! What the friggin' shows before you turn in a script! It's why I just might have scored a hit with an Enterpirse script...fingers crossed.)

It had great action sequences. It had some good character interplay. Hardy & Stewart did bang-up jobs. The CGI just might be some of the best in sci-fi movie history. But they needed another round of editing sessions to plug the holes above; even a "I didn't like life as a diplomat," for Worf, or a "Kolarus has been visited by stellar cultures; prime directivedoes not apply," would have done the trick.

I enjoy the movie, while I'm watching it. It's on par with Insurrection, but not with First Contact. But it could have been the best of the lot with another 10-15 minutes of character development.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I liked Nemesis when I saw it, but it had it's share of problems. Paramount of which was Stuart Baird, who did an awful job of editing the movie, and didn't have a clue about Star Trek, IMHO. I personally think bringing in Baird was a huge mistake (on a par with releasing it between Bond and LOTR). They should have let Frakes direct. Baird was far too interested in stamping his own identity on the movie, to it's detriment, IMHO.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Was just a victim of bad timing, IMO.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Uh...yeah, that's it. How 'bout it was packaged between LOTR the new Bond flick and Harry Potter. That alone was gonna kill it: Trek is a relatively small fan base, compared those three.
    That's right on. I'm sure that if the movie had been released in February instead it would have made twice as much.

After watching the DVD, I came to conclusion that Stuart Baird & Rick Berman left too much on the cutting room floor int he attempt to get the film under two hours: the Data-Picard scene early on that was cut was, IMO as a professional writer, key to binding the movie; the characters are what these movies should be about. They'd forgotten that.
    I couldn't agree more. Upon viewing that scene yesterday my first thought was :"they actually cut that ?!?". It makes Data's death much more significant.

. Shinzon, while beautifully acted, needed more definition -- a scene with the Viceroy, to explain their relationship, I think was an essential bit missing. It might have also given Shinzon more animus -- a tug of war between what he is -- Picard -- and who he is -- Viceroy's "son".
    Shinzon had a shot at being one of the most memorable bad guys in ST history... its just that clone thing was such an aweful plot device. Plus it didn't make a whole lot of sense, ST-wise or otherwise. At least Tom Hardy did the very best he could with the role, he really is a great actor.

The CGI just might be some of the best in sci-fi movie history
    Also remember that they were also using good 'ol fashion models too. That's why the CGI was so good

Arrow

Timing may have been the primary factor. But despite that, the overall story direction did not appeal to me, except for the last 30 minutes of the film. If a mainstream moviegoer would ask me if I would recommend this film, I gotta be honest and say "no."
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer