Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Oh Ricky"

"Oh Ricky"

Posted in Trek BBS
    By Caillan
    May 21, 2003 - 7:55 AM
    See Also: 'The Expanse' Episode Guide

The decision to place Earth in peril in tonight's season finale was influenced by two Star Trek movies, Enterprise executive producer Rick Berman said yesterday.

"I think one of the things that motivated us is in analyzing the 10 existing Star Trek movies, we were looking for something that would help torque up our series and add a little dimension to get a little added excitement towards the end of the season," Berman told the Sci-Fi Wire.

In "The Expanse", which airs at 8:00 p.m. on UPN tonight, a new race known as the Xindi launches a devastating attack on Earth, killing millions of people. Berman pointed to two successful Trek features with similar themes which served as inspiration for the story.

"We did a little analysis of our own, and we saw that two of the most popular movies ... were Star Trek IV, which was the one about whales, and Star Trek VIII, which was First Contact. These were both films that had to do with the future of Earth being at stake. And we decided that that would be a great place to start."

Ok Ricky how's about the Star Trek: The Motion Pciture which dealed with the same theme and generally failed to become the cultural "ICON" the other two have become. While a "hit" at the time The motion Picture has taken years if not decades to become accepted by all as a good film and that took a special directors cut with added footage! Once again your public statement continue to display a superfiscal understand of Trek (as in the Show/Movies) History.

Further the decision not to use the Romualns in an obvios situtation which would have required there use as well as reinforced previous canon is perplexing to say the least. If you remember one of the early problems of TNG was the fact it stayed away from traditional Original series eastablished races and it took nearly three years before a half decent new enemy race could be accepted by the fans. While I feel you have made an effort here to get lightening to strike twice I see no need for it.

I just watched "The Expanse" via download from scfi-epz.com Sorry, but I liked the episode and it was a good "reset" for the series.

Now, as far as the Romulans go, there's no reason the Earth-Romulan war could not appear in a later episode. SO I don't see what the problem is.

BTW, watch for the Tucker-Reed moment on the ship discussing memorials (don't want to say anymore)... but it is good stuff.

Yancy

Y'know, if everybody took the "what about the time that it didn't work" attitude, nothing would ever get done.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

But hey, it is true what Eric said.ST IV and VIII certainly weren't successful movies because they dealt with threats to earth and therefore concluding that making an episode based on such a threat would be successful/liked isn't too bright IMHO.

I really don't mind them making an episode based on such a plot, but his explanation is really weird. And it leads to a thing I definitely don't like about ENT. The writers seem to be afraid of creating anything new and are therefore beginning to steal as much from the other shows as possible. Look at Judgement, for example. They could have sent Archer to virtually any prison in the Klingon Empire, but no, it had to be Rura Penthe.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Just an aside, but I always liked The Motion Picture

And back on topic, using Rura Penthe was a nice continuity touch, IMHO.
    Last edited by Capt Daniel Hunter; 05-21-2003 at 02:52 PM.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Ergi
    but no, it had to be Rura Penthe

Rura Penthe was established in STVI as the "maximum-security" prision of choice for political enemies, which Archer definetly was. I think it sets up some nice historical precedents, and mirriors what will happen to Kirk in a centry or so excellently.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

BTW the Archer/Duras sub-plot gets some closure tonight... Which is a good thing.

Yancy

Just watched The Expanse, and I enjoyed it. Kind of a nice set up for next season, and the style was more reminiscent of DS9 than TNG or Voyager, IMHO.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Just to be clear here, I am not knocking Enterprise, in fact I like the show even with its many flaws. Secondly I was not commenting directly on The Expanse, in fact basicly I like the idea, but I don't understand why it had to be a new race when so much could still be done with the supposed old worn out races like the Romulans.

I was commenting on this superficial understanding of what Trek (TV?MOVIES) history is by TPTB. There seems to be an inability to admit when something just didn't work and understand why. Just look at the end of the season comments in Communicator going all the way back to Voyager, Ron Moore and Ira Behr on the other hand had the ability to say when something failed or just didn't work, Berman and Braga on the other hand just move on and foget that it ever happen. Go on and fine one or two tidbits from the shows past to prove that there new direction will work and more on.

Look the reality is B&B don't have the time or luxury to reflect on what worked, or didn't work on ENT... They need to right the ship NOW! This was a seat of the pants decision made by TPTB at Paramount. B&B are simply reacting ... which is pretty sad... since I fear the first few episodes of Season 3 will come across as forced before ENT finds it's new "sea legs."

The reality is B&B are screwed... if they had done an Earth-Romulan story arc the continuity police (which already rake them over the coals daily) would have a field day... and frankly a huge conflict in which neither side actually sees each other (as per canon) would make for some pretty lackluster drama.

They are also screwed due to Paramount's decision that ENT be the flag ship of their pathetic wannabe network. UPN has been an unmitigated disaster since it's inception... and sadly it's taking the franchise with it. Look at the facts: 1) you don't have full nation-wide coverage, and there are some pretty substantial markets without UPN. 2) Most local affiliates also have contracts for local sporting events. Here in Phoenix, AZ there were 2 episodes that never even aired locally (on Wed or the repeat on Sun) because of preemption by Phoenix Suns games... sorry, but you must have consistent show times to build any type of base.

The reality is Paramount must ditch UPN and put ENT in first-run syndication... at this point it is the only way to save the show.... You can retinker it all you want... bring in new actors... bring in a new producer... new writing staffs... it wont matter at this point... SYNDICATION is the ONLY way to save Enterprise at this point. Go back to the old days of TNG and DS9, and let local affiliates find the best time slot for the show.

If Paramount refuses to do this you can kiss ENT goodbye...it's going to get slaughtered by that over-hyped show about a boy in blue tights, Dawsons Cr.... I mean Smallville.

I mean honestly, ENT would do better on TNN with TNG as it's lead-in show.

Yancy

On Syndication I totally agree with ya Yancey

Syndication is the haven for specialty shows, particularly sci-fi and fantasy.

It worked for NG, DS9, and Babylon 5. And, it allowed an anthology show, The New Outer Limits, to stay on for years (and produced some excellent shows to boot.) Syndication is working for Adventure, Inc; Mutant X; Andromeda; The Lost World; and BeastMaster right now.

Not only do they need to syndicate ENT, they also need to do it for the new Twilight Zone and Farscape!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Don't forget Firefly.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Haven't seen it yet, do intend to on Sunday when it airs in my area. But, I do have to say that my first impression (from the ads) was "hey, the Drakh jumped series. The whole attack scene, what I have seen of it, seems to have been copied directly from Crusade...Even the ship looked a little like the Drakh vessel, IIRC.

But, hey I'm still in hope of Ent becoming a good show. I'll watch it, even though I have, on the whole, disappointed.

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Don't forget Firefly.
    I might be mistaken on this, but isn't Firefly dead? It seems that Syndication alone can't save a show. There is very little you can do when the evil FOX empire decides to cancel a show.

And to prevent any misunderstanding, I actually like Enterprise.
    But I think that's just because I am fan. Let's face it, the show fails to appeal to new audiences. That's why I think they should try to make this a real science fiction show, again, with the occasional Star Trek dilemma like in Cogenitor.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost