Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enterprise E in Combat (Warning: SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN NEMESIS)

That's the one nice thing I like to do in my RPGs, occassionally give the PC's a threat vessel that they can handle so they can showcase their ship and take some pride in its capabilities.

It would be nice to see that once in awhile for the Federation Flagship.

Regards,
    CKV.

What I wanted to see...

I'm a big fan of the E-E. It is one of the most powerful ships in the Alpha/Beta quadrant. I would have rather have seen it go down with Shizon had just outnumbered it with Warbirds than to have one really large ship. This would have made for more epic battle between Shizon and Picard. With Picard outwitting his opponents in battle and at the the end it would just be E-E and Shizon flagship. I would have walked away and said, now that was a great battle.
    Last edited by Capt. Anderson; 06-23-2003 at 11:24 AM.

Personally, I do have to admit, I would love to have seen a killer battle between the fleet that the Ent E was rushing toward and the Scimitar. The Scimitar could have blown away a few of the Federation ships, and then, here come the Valdore class Warbirds to the rescue. All of the sudden, you have the combined forces of the remaining Starfleet craft and the Romulan ships against the Scimitar.

Just an idea.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Re: The shield anomaly....

Originally posted by General Chang
    It is quite possible that starships utilize two types of shielding....(Navigational Deflectors notwithstanding.)
    As far as I can remember you might be correct. In one Star Trek novel (I think it was "Federation") the Enterprise-D was severely damaged. Two opposing Warbirds were involved and the E-D hid between the nacelles of a cloaked friendly Warbird. No options left, Picard decided to use "The Troi Maneuver". Navigational Deflectors (I think that in normal situations they are used against little space debris and stuff during warpflight) to full power and ramming speed. One of the opposing Warbirds was history. So, if the Scimitar wasn't prepared for "The Troi Maneuver" or if the ship wasn't able to raise the "correct" shields, it could have worked.

by the way: I loved the battle against the Scimitar

"United they stand"

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    The Troi Maneuver:

1) Take helm.
    2) Crash into large object.
    3) Blame Riker.
    4) Preform oral sex on members of investagating board, thusly avoiding court-marshal.
    5) Repeat steps 1-4 two movies later.

Prehaps Killerwhale will put this in his Starship Ops book?
    *Laugh* There are days that one must truly appreciate mild evil at its most humerous.

Regards,
    CKV.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Capt. K. Vaughn
    *Laugh* There are days that one must truly appreciate mild evil at its most humerous.

Regards,
    CKV.
    I suppose that's better than at its most ulnar?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Although, it is somewhat appropriate, given Liz's medical background...
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    I suppose that's better than at its most ulnar?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Although, it is somewhat appropriate, given Liz's medical background...
    Tired, rushed and bored. Bad combination for errors not getting caught. That said, after a wonderful six hour massage it is time for me to get to bed.

Regards,
    CKV.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Copying and pasting from a post I made at TrekBBS(Should probably pay more attention to these boards, much more civil here.)

The fact that they scored any solid hits at all is a pretty good accounting for the ship.(I believe this 70% thing was actually a revision made by the director to make it more drastic. Original script for Nem had Scimitar actually suffering damage once the Enterprise found her via Troi.)

Should be noted that a Klingon Bird of Prey was more than capable of handling 2 full-fledged Federation ships of the line(Excelsior and Enterprise) due to the advantage given by her cloak. If not for Spock one could make the argument that "Chang's Bird of Prey is more powerful than the Enterprise." Obviously due to tight SFX budgets we didn't get to see Kirk spray phaser fire everywhere in TUC, but it did seem pretty obvious that Chang was able to completely dominate that particular battlefield with a single torpedo launcher(as opposed to something like 20-someodd of them that Shinzon had) and two far superior sized opponents.

It should also be noted that the Enterprise seemed to be fighting without her warp core operational(Um yeah, plothole here as to how the heck Shinzon got through the shields and disabled the core, but oh well) which would add to giving a good accounting.

Either way the advantage in being able to pick and choose your shots as opposed to flailing blindly at your opponent is immense. Can't hurt what you can't see, and the likelihood of your relatively few successful hits doing damage would be minute.(And since in the movie shields seemed to be operating by location/angle Scimitar would have a massive advantage by being able to spread fire through several of her arcs)

Basically the thing is, if a BoP with a fire through cloak can beat up two of the Federation's finest...what can a ship that's actually BIGGER than the Federation's finest do when equipped with a similar(and unseekable) cloak?