Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sci-Fi Channel remake of Battlestar Galactica

Originally posted by redwood973
    It is a Sci-Fi channel movie? I thought this was gonna be a big screen picture.
    Yep Sci-fi Channel Mini-series starting Dec 7

One of the photos looks like the MSD (the big sideon diagram on the back wall of Engineering) from TNG. If it's of Galactica the ship isn't going to look much like the original.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Perhaps not, but it certainly has a Navy "feel" to it. Reminds me of the bridge, CIC or the Sea Sparrow control room looked on my ship. I like it.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Arrow

Originally posted by Phantom

I have to say I was impressed with what I saw. [Olmos] looks awesome as Adama, he has that stern-determination look (even more so then Greene.)
    You should see him when he portrayed a police captain (or is it lieutenant?) on Miami Vice.

Still one point of contention with me is the changing of Starbuck to a female...But, what the hell no one asked me. They certainly are going for the sex appeal in this show, not only with the actress who plays Starbuck, but with a character called Six which looks like a Jeri Ryan/Seven knock off.
    Well, they could certainly use more female cast members, especially not tied to one of the main cast in a husband-and-wife fashion, unless you are planning to kill her off just to add depth to the main character.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Picked up the new DVD version of the original BSG movie, and it had a teaser for the new series. I think it looks like it might be good. I'm still trying to get over a "human" Cylon however.

Anyone know if Space will be carrying the mini series up here in The Great White North?

Arrow

Well, they could always go with the A.I. machine route, similar to Terminator, Matrix (or Animatrix), etc.

Of course, there are no more horrific and terrible monsters ... than ourselves. But I guess you're tired of hearing that message time and time again.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Space is carrying the mini in January I believe.

I picked up my BSG Series boxed set last week (Thank you Snake Plisken). Just have to find the time to watch it now

Ever read the novel for the Original BSG? The Cylons were aliens in mechanical armour. In fact there is a really interesting scene in the book, when they intro Imperius Leader. In the scene he thinks back over his past, right back to when he to was a Centurion. I've always liked that idea. Personally the more alien the intelligence, the more frightening it is.

But, I guess you don't want to hear any new ideas. ::shrug::

Arrow

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton

I'm more concerned by Moore's taking the character of Adama and making him a woman in his new BSG, then taking the character of Commander Caine and calling him Adama... But that's just me (or is it?).
    Don't worry. Edward James Olmos is Adama in the re-imagined BSG.

Personally, I prefer a female character to be Apollo's second-in-command rather than a third wheel.

At least Ron Moore is upfront about what he's going to do with BSG. Would have been nice if Braga had extend the same courtesy for ENTERPRISE, ... err, excuse me, Star Trek: Enterprise (although I'm still not buying it).

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

When I first heard about all the changes that are being made from original BSG to the remake, my first thought was, "That's not right! We all know Starbuck is a man, Cylons are robots, etc." But after thinking about it a little, I've decided it's a good idea to shake things up. After all, what's the point of doing a remake if you're not going to change things? I've seen the original, now I want to see something different. Don't try to sell me the same old story again; give me something new and different. If it sucks, I can just ignore it. And if I do want the same old story again, I can rent the original.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

I agree, but if it is re-engineered too much then it ceases to be the same story. When that happens they might as well have created a new sci-fi franchise.

I am looking forward to the mini-series, but still question some of the changes.