Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Channel remake of Battlestar Galactica

Sci-Fi Channel remake of Battlestar Galactica

Hello, all,

Well, I'm sure a great deal of you, if not all of you have read about or at least heard of the Sci-Fi channel remaking Battlestar Galactica into a four hour epic movie, serving as a pilot for a potential new series.

There appears to be a pretty good cast lined up. Among those is Edward James Olmos, whom I assume is going to play Commander Adama.

Now, for something that may get a bunch of old school BG fans in a sure undie bundie: Starbuck is going to be a woman in this remake. Well, I must say I will find this interesting, myself, to see how the Apollo/Starbuck dynamic will work this time around.
    Many old school fans will probably balk at the mere mention of this changeup.

It looks like they are going to try for a somewhat more realistic approach to the Cylon assault on humanity...bringing it across much the same way as 9/11 hit us. (Of course, in the 90's and the millenium, visual media has seemed to strive more uber-realistic portrayals of fictional events.)

Furthermore, it looks like they might try to redesign some of the ship designs. The reason being that ships need not look so aerodynamic in space. I don't think they're gonna mess to much with the Colonial Viper design. I hope they don't monkey around too much with anything else.

I will expect the special effects to be nothing short of spectacular. Considering the work that Sci-Fi did for the DUNE movies...this movie should ROCK visually.

Although I am an old school BG fan (Galactica 1980 notwithstanding....it does not exist....la la la la la), I will give this new effort a chance. I will see what it has to offer. If it grabs me in the pilot, I will watch a few episodes to see if it can keep me. If they screw BG up...well...I still have that good ol' 2hour and 5 minute DVD of the original pilot.

What'chall think of the project?

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Oh I agree, I'll give it a chance, but I'm not entirely convinced either. And I just don't see the point in it being Battlestar Galactica, given how much they've changed it.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I'll give it a chance, assuming it will be aired in my area (don't get Sci-Fi.) But, I don't really see the need for the changes. They already have some really good female characters to work with, why not use one of them? Oh well, it is a "wait and see" situation.

I'll give it a chance though I prefered what I saw for Hatch's trailer of his BSG movie.

Regards,
    CKV.

Well, umm, err...

I guess people can remake BSG. Sorta like they remade Lost In Space. Not really something I would be excited over; neither of them held the interest for me that Trek did.

Just shows that "sci-fi" is not a blanket target audience

For those of you who do enjoy Galactica, however, I hope the new version lives up to your expectations.

Whoa! Capt. Vaughn, where did you see this trailer?

I wanna see. I wanna see.. Daddy wannnaaaa sseeeeee!!!!!

ahem...

Respectfully,
    General Chang........

DADDY WANNAAAAAA SSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

I saw it over a year ago prior to Sci-Fi's announcement about the mini-series. I no longer have the bookmark, it was on my previous system before it self-destructed but I'll see if I can locate it after I get back in from my trip.

Regards,
    CKV.

8. Starbuck as a girl? Hrm...that's kinda like in TC's Clear and Present Danger where Red went from being an old weathered beared USCG Captain to a rather attractive young lady.

I'll gladly give it a shot - still like to catch the old episodes when they come on.

DUNE - excellent effects. But, um - WTF is up with the Mentat & BG hats?! RM Mohaim just did not instill me with enough fear. Nor did Thufir instill unrivaled respect - Gurney, now I liked that adaptation. The sandworms kicked much butt. Aside from those very minor critiques, no complaints. The Highliner Navigators were a bit different, but an interesting adaptation of Herbert's descriptions - took me a couple rewinds, but they grew on me.
    --------------------

<ul>
    <li><a href="http://ghlbeyerlein.tripod.com"> My web site</a>
    <li> <a href="http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/358/grutos_metallipage.html">My MetalliStation</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/"> United Device's distributive computing Cancer Research Project</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.firstgov.gov">FirstGov.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.tsa.gov/public/index.jsp">TSA.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/">Homeland Security</a>

"Hrm...that's kinda like in TC's Clear and Present Danger where Red went from being an old weathered beared USCG Captain to a rather attractive young lady."

Or Jack going from a 40-ish Deputy Director to a rookie recruit and the Admiral going from being dead to being... er, not dead, in The Sum of All Fears? Talk about "reimagining." Geez, at least in the Bond movies, they made Dame Judi the original M's successor! And we all know what a paragon of continuity the Bond franchise is, don't we?

I'm more concerned by Moore's taking the character of Adama and making him a woman in his new BSG, then taking the character of Commander Caine and calling him Adama... But that's just me (or is it?).

Alrighty since I see some interest in this re-invisioned series I am posting a great link.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/intro/index.html

This is Sci Fi's news and such so to help with the speculating.

I love this idea of a re-invisioned series. I wish still the Brian Singer Battlestar was still a go.

This looks interesting and has some good people I can not wait to see more on this.

If you go here.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

You see the animated intro.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming

General Chang.

The trailer is not at this link but some of the info on Hatch's project before it was shelved to support this revisionism is at

www.battlestargalactica.com

Still looking for the trailer.

Regards,
    CKV.

Dunno where you saw the trailer, but it's not supposed to be on the Web, according to Hatch - it was made for submission to the studio and has only been publically shown at cons where Hatch was attending.

If you ever find a copy on the Web, E-mail me immediately so I can see it before it gets taken down.

I know it is not supposed to be on the web but I did find it at one point and had it bookmarked on the old system. But as mentioned above when the system fried I lost it and others.

I shall put it here if I find it again, presuming it has not been taken down since that time.

Regards,
    CKV.

Work on the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries is proceeding, but some long time fans are not going to be happy. Actor Edward James Olmos (Commander Adama) told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that this incarnation of Battlestar Galactica is going to be different. "If you're a staunch purist, then you won't like it. . . . There's no two ways around it." Just to make sure that you didn't missunderstand, the actor added, "If I were a purist, I wouldn't watch it. Don't waste your time. Get the old version on DVD. Don't go through the pain." The comments are not really a surprise, a bit more blunt than I would have thought, but not surprising.

http://www.genreonline.net/Battlesta...os_Sci-Fi.html

Pics of the new sets and uniforms..
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

I get "Page not found" using the above link.