Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Romulan Warships

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Oh and Tomalok, I agreed with you that the Remans had some help from Shinzon's Romulan supporters in building that ship (as in getting the resources). I just don't accept that it was built for them, since I believe the film states otherwise. I have no interest in changing your mind. As I've said already, you're obviously free to accept whatever personal canon you want. But that doesn't mean everyone else has to share it either.

Darn, and I said I wouldn't comment on this further. Oh well.
    ok! goog for me..lets believe what we want to believe...

but just want to tell you that even on the official web site its said that Rumor on possible reman origin...

Sorry to have offense anyone, it was not my intend ,but maybe i was a little anger, but it has past now....

In the Praetor name!
    Last edited by Tomalak; 05-26-2003 at 07:47 PM.
    Romulans believe their way of life is best; their culture, they feel is superior to all others, and they seek to impose their culture on the rest of the galaxy, at the point of a disruptor if need be.

Ah don't sweat it. Sometimes the language barrier leads to unintentional offense.

And honestly, I really wasn't trying to change your mind, I was just debating the point at hand. My apologies if you took it otherwise

Though I'd still like to see you deal with the points raised against your theory, since I don't think you've really done that. This is after all, a discussion forum
    Last edited by Capt Daniel Hunter; 05-26-2003 at 05:28 AM.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Ah don't sweat it. Sometimes the language barrier leads to unintentional offense.

And honestly, I really wasn't trying to change your mind, I was just debating the point at hand. My apologies if you took it otherwise

Though I'd still like to see you deal with the points raised against your theory, since I don't think you've really done that. This is after all, a discussion forum
    yeah! youre right...

No need to apologies, i understand more now your point of view.

It'll be difficult to argue about the Romulans and the Remans cuz yet we dont know much about them,maybe when a book will be written on the matter then will be in a better posture to discuss it. But for now we can only speculate about the fact that what we had seem in the Movie remain the only true.

In the Praetor name!
    Romulans believe their way of life is best; their culture, they feel is superior to all others, and they seek to impose their culture on the rest of the galaxy, at the point of a disruptor if need be.

Fair point.

Actually I was thinking about this on my way home from work. I wish we knew more about the motivations of the Romulans who supported Shinzon's coup. The way I see it, either they were using him as a pawn, and they lost control of him, or Shinzon was such a great, charismatic leader (which is I think implied) that the Romulans were inspired to follow him. At least until they realised he was not exactly sane.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by C5
    - In the end of the war, the Federation was crewing its ships with Ensigns. Maybe the Romulan Empire suffered the same loss, and thus has to use members of subjugated races to crew positions usually reserved to Romulans. This would allow more freedom to the Remans, enough for them to get some contacts to have the Scimitar built (it was obviously not of Romulan design).
    Interesting theory.. i always thought that the Federation got the brunt of the losses during the war.

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    If I may...

If Tomalak is indeed Canadian and judging by the way he phrases his sentences he must be a fellow French Canadian (my "lineage" is Italo-English-German, but I'm one by adoption!) and here we use a lot of English expressions that become part of our daily lives. The word "bulls**t" is one of them and believe it or not it has a slightly less aggressive meaning here among Quebeckers who aren't too familiar with English. I'm inclined to think that Tomalak made something akin to what I'd call an honest mistake. Well at least only because of that we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

That being said,

it isn't canon. Like the Fasa Romulan supplement of the '80s which became invalidated when TNG came on. In the same fashion a lot of the stuff found in the D'era book became invalidated by Nemesis. I know that the folks at LUG and Decipher are going to great pains to make sure that the material they write conforms to canon as closely as possible but as the disclaimers found in every of their published products say they must take liberties sometimes to explain certain issues and that material may be contradicted at any time by any future episode or movie.

The problem is that a lot of ST fans confuse canon with non-canon sources like RPGs, reference books, novels and even video games. A lot of great material can be found in those sources but it doesn't mean its canon nonetheless.

As a Romulan fan (as a matter of fact they've always been my favorite ST race) I can certainly understand where Tomalak and Phantom come from in regard to what happens in Nemesis. If it would have been up to me I would have handled the Romulans very differently and the movie certainly didn't do them justice, to say the very least. But OTOH I see a lot of over-reaction here. I mean its not as if the Remans won a major victory... they held power for what, 3 days? Even Argentinian dictators could do better

Believe or not I respect that. We're not saying you're wrong, just that your arguments are a bit contrived.

Yes i'm French Quebeckers ( mine is French-Scottish-German). Since i cant practise english language with my friends(cuz they dont speak english,or doesnt even try too) i'm doing my best to explain myself in English... So like you said "Bul#@it" wasnt for me as Crude as it seems for the Others, but again I'm sorry that it has offended people here.

In the Praetor name!
    Last edited by Tomalak; 05-27-2003 at 02:09 PM.