Thread: New netbooks...

New netbooks...

Are there any plans for new netbooks for Star Trek?

hopefully Evan van Eyk can do a ICON Enterprise Season Two Sourcebook!

Hint, hint!

Lars
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Are you looking for canon or non canon?

I have been playing around with a Species Database for ICON the last two weeks. It is not by any means ment to be a tell all source book for each species. My intended use was for a quick reference for use during character creation. . .a little detail on apperance, history, culture and of coures the species template.

Each species will have a two page layout. On the left will be the Star and Planetary System Data; and on the right will be small write ups on apperance, culture, a picture and the template.

At the moment I plan write ups for over 80 spcies (only those having appeared on screen, sorry no fan based works). Not everyone of the 80+ species will appear in the Database, I will decide which ones can be done when I get to them. For example, I doubt I will do one for the Evora (from ST:Ins.) as there is just not enough information on them to write up anything.

The background information will be from the few LUG books I have, and what I find off the net. Some of this material appears to be from the olda FASA game, some of it from other Sci-Fi series and some of it is fan creation. If it makes sense to me and I like it I will include it in the write up. The Templates in the Species Databank from the TrekRPGNet main page (um, the Memory ICON page I guess, as soon as that infomation is transfered) will be the primary source (along with these boards) for species templates.

I am at this moment talking with Michael "The Doc" Barratt (of the "To seek out new lifeforms" thread fame) who has shown interest in assisting with the project. Owen O. has offered to turn the completed project into a .PDF file, and Dan G. has allowed the use of his species template creations for the project.

If anyone has any Templates they are willing to share for the project they would greatly be apprecieated! If you don't have any Template laying around but have a speices you have always been interested in, write them up and send them to me! [e-mail redwood973@yahoo.com or my TrekRPGNet Private Message Box]

I am quickly learning I will not be able to do this without your help! For instance, I have never seen the show that featured the Acamarians. I have seen the write up for the show but never actually seen it. Someone who has taken a fancy to them could write up a better Template for them than I could (hell if someone doesn't make a template for them I will most likely exclude them!).

I am doing species from all four quadrants. . .the only limitation is that they must have appeared on sceen (TOS, Movie, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT [someone else will have to do the ENT Templates as I don't get the show on my local stations, otherwise they will not be included!]).

Thanks all.
    Last edited by redwood973; 05-23-2003 at 11:49 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Oh, BTW, in case I never mentioned, you are free to use any of the templates on my Star Trek: Relic site. They're on the House Rules page of the Star Trek: Universe section.

Only a suggestion...you should include in the description of each race a couple of "common names" for characters of that species...(that would be truly helpful)

ah, and, are you interested in the Reman stats from the reman people thread?

Originally posted by Setvenharis
    hopefully Evan van Eyk can do a ICON Enterprise Season Two Sourcebook!

Hint, hint!

Lars

Maybe the good news is, that I definitely intend to do so. Although I considered just to do an update to the old book including the season two story, characters and ships. The only problem is that I currently have only few spare time to do this, but first notes are already taken. Maybe it will take until sommer, but the plan is there
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    Oh, BTW, in case I never mentioned, you are free to use any of the templates on my Star Trek: Relic site. They're on the House Rules page of the Star Trek: Universe section.
    Thanks Owen. Did a quick glance at the site and added two more species to the list of "To Do's." I will no doubt find more once I have had more time to check out the site properly. Thanks!

Originally posted by Yuber Okami
    Only a suggestion...you should include in the description of each race a couple of "common names" for characters of that species...(that would be truly helpful)
    Originally yes, when the project first started. Since then they were dropped. Lack of imagination on my part is why that was dropped (Mork seemed to be as common in the galaxy as Smith and Johnson are here in the States ). They may be brought back once Michael "The Doc" Barrratt joins the project [as I said before he has shown an interest in joining the project, an e-mail error on my part has slowed our communications process].

Originally posted by Yuber Okami
    Ah, and, are you interested in the Reman stats from the reman people thread?
    At the moment yes, they are in the list of species to do. That is, however, subject to change. Now that there is a template for them [Owen did you ever post a final version with the changes you were considering?] the only reason they would not appear is for lack of background information. Which is the case right now as I have yet to see the movie. . .unless someone who has taken a fancy to them writes one up and sends it to me.

Originally posted by. . .um, me
    If anyone has any Templates they are willing to share for the project they would greatly be apprecieated! If you don't have any Template laying around but have a speices you have always been interested in, write them up and send them to me!
    In addition to any templates you may have (or make) if you have any (or make) any background information (culture, history, government) send it to me! There are some speices which I do not know (such as the Acamarians). Your templates and background information on a species you love will be more useful and interesting to users of the database than something I make up having never seen them on screen (actually such species will most likely be left out of the database).

Thanks all.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Have any interest in the Magna Romans from Bread and Circus? I can supply them. Unless of course you already raided Dan G's site

Re: Reman Template
    "At the moment yes, they are in the list of species to do. That is, however, subject to change. Now that there is a template for them [Owen did you ever post a final version with the changes you were considering?]"

The changes have been incorporated into the version up on my site. I'm still looking at doing conversions of some of the STIV races, but much of the FASA stuff just isn't useable.

I already have the Magna Romans (from Dans' page) and now have the final writeup of the Reman from Owens' page. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Owen E. Oulton
    I'm still looking at doing conversions of some of the STIV races, but much of the FASA stuff just isn't useable.
    I will use 'em when ya get 'em. I remember from an earler post you said somthing about the writeups being bad. Is that still the problem or is it converting the attributes to ICON?

I have been using the FASA First Year Sourcebook for attributes [using your web page for conversions ] and have found some of the attributes don't come out very. . .well they don't seem to match what I remember from the shows.

BTW I am looking into taking this topic to one of the already existing threads I had going for it, or starting a new one since I have a sample sheet to post.

A friend pointed out a free download that allows me to make the .PDF files without having to spend $100. It is limited in what it can do but it works! Thanks for the offer to .PDF everything for me Owen but I think this free download will work.

[Sorry for taking over this thread. ]
    Steven "redwood973" Wood