Thread: Remans: New Race or Mutant Romulans ?

Remans: New Race or Mutant Romulans ?

Unless I missed a line somewhere, ST: Nemesis didn't seem to address whether that the Remans were a separate race or if they were Romulans who mutated in the mines. (They've got pointed ears, but. . . . )

What do you think ? How do you handle it in your games ?

To be honest, I haven't a clue. I'd favour the mutated Romulans idea, but I get the impression that wasn't what the producers intended.

So it could go either way, IMHO.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I felt it was one of a multitude of poorly thought-out ideas in the movie...

Never really came down hard one way or the other.

Although this question hasn't been answered in Nemesis it seems to be a well-established fact from the novels and also from the approved Way of D'Era that the Remans are a species native to Remus enslaved by the arriving Romulans.
    I also believe that such a large scale genetic mutation in so little time (it has probably be just some milenna since the Romulan exodus from Vulcan) is highly unlikely.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Ergi has a good point but the Viceroy's telepathy could link the Remans to the Vulcans-a mutation of the mind meld?
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Well yes, it is a short period for that much genetic and physical variation to develop, but I rather thought it might be due to radiation exposure or some such thing. Heck I dunno, but I wish they'd clarified it in the movie.
    Last edited by Capt Daniel Hunter; 05-27-2003 at 11:09 AM.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Hey... it might be clarified later. After all, they can come up with whatever explanation they like and it won't even break continuity

Seriously, apart from the Remans being Remus native's species, I'd say the hypothesis having the Remans be a mutated offshot of the Romulans is interesting.
    Part of the exilees from Vulcan could have been subjected to a certain form of space radiation, mutating them into Remans (hey, we've seen radiations do a lot more worse in Trek ). The unaffected Romulans, disgusted by what their brethren had become, would have ruled them an inferior caste and sent them massively on Remus as slaves.
    After all, a lot can have happened since the exodus. Maybe there were some wars between Romulans and Remans, or maybe the Remans evolved all alone for a while on Remus until the Romulans, in need of the ore the planet contained, eventually invaded them and reduced them to slavery.

Just a few suggestions from my deranged mind

And here comes my 1500th post!!! Woot!!!
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Or, why not go for both?

The Remans could be the native species to the planet, but the Viceroy's psyhic powers could be the result of a Proto-Vulcan/Romulan ancestry - maybe a Romulan who took pity on the Remans.

I'm just saying this because I don't really think there's any suggestion that any other Remans save the Viceroy have psychic powers.

Thought that's just my impression.

Later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

I haven't seen Nemesis, but I assumed the Remans were a completely separate species.

IIRC, one of the non-canon books somewhere stated that during the Romulan exodus, some of the ships that left Vulcan possessed substandard shielding causing mutations, and that these were the ships that made landfall on Remus, and quickly fell to subsistence levels and became second-class citizens when contact was reestablished with the stronger (militarily) Romulan settlers.

This presupposes that spaceflight for both societies was lost following the Exodus, during the struggle for survival on the new worlds.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    IIRC, one of the non-canon books somewhere stated that during the Romulan exodus, some of the ships that left Vulcan possessed substandard shielding causing mutations, and that these were the ships that made landfall on Remus, and quickly fell to subsistence levels and became second-class citizens when contact was reestablished with the stronger (militarily) Romulan settlers.

This presupposes that spaceflight for both societies was lost following the Exodus, during the struggle for survival on the new worlds.
    That sounds like Diane Duane's The Romulan Way. I read half that book when I was about 14. Every other chapter of the book dealt with the history of the Romulan Exodus from Vulcan. I stopped reading it because the pacing wasn't right. Now that I'm an adult, I'm going to go back and read it again.

It's been reprinted and retro-classified as part of the "Rihannsu" series: My Enemy, My Ally; The Romulan Way; SwordHunt; and Honor Blade. The first two books were released in the 1980's. The final two books were written about that time but never published until recently. Some of the stuff written is apocryphal in this post-TNG, post-DS9 era, but many fans still consider Duane's Romulans definitive.

(Ahh. . . for the days when they gave Star Trek novelists free reign to be creative.)

If you've got a Palm Pilot with the free PalmReader software, you can pick up the e-book versions cheaper than the print versions: About $3 for the first two books and about $4 for the last two books. Find 'em here:

http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/sear...words=Rihannsu

(And the cool thing about electronic versions, from a gamer's viewpoint, is that e-books are searchable! Makes background research easy.)

A bait-and-switch might be in order: Have either the "separate native species" OR the "mutated Romulans" version of the facts be the accepted version in your game, then have your players discover that the opposite is true as part of a game. It doesn't matter which.

-Dandelionhead
    "Thank God for atheists!" -some agnostic

Originally posted by pathstrider
    Or, why not go for both?

The Remans could be the native species to the planet, but the Viceroy's psyhic powers could be the result of a Proto-Vulcan/Romulan ancestry - maybe a Romulan who took pity on the Remans.

I don't believe pity alone would have made this possible, and I know that love is said to make people blind, but not blind enough to find a Reman attractive.

I like that radiation idea, however I don't believe it.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Egri, could it also not be based in fear and hate...think of the old english/scot tactics, "if you can't fight them out of existance, breed them out". This could have happened from either ones point of view, true Remans are long gone, the half breeds are all that are left.

Just some random thoughts here, do not take too seriously please.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"