Thread: Emergency Questions -Narrator needs help!

Emergency Questions -Narrator needs help!

I've loaned out my copy of the Ds9 Tech Manual so my CO could aqquaint himself with his new Defiant class ship an have a question. Our group is now meeting weekly instead of every 3 weeks and I need answers pretty quick.

Defiant :Do the Ops Manager and Communications positions have their own stations on the bridge or are they handled through Science and Tactical? I seem to remember Nog having a Comm station of his own.

The Borg:How many years ago did they first establish themselves as a collective?Any idea when they first established FTL flight? All responses (official or otherwise ) welcome.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Ops and CONN were combined in the helm station ahead of the Captain's seat. Communications was handled from the Tactical station - that's where Nog was sitting.

On-screen statements indicate that the Borg have been around and space-borne for at least 900 years.

Answer much appreciated,Owen.

Regarding the Defiant Bridge: As Owen said, the Helm/Ops positions are indeed combined in one console.

That leaves four other stations, two on each side of the bridge. Generally, two of these are tactical - one on each side to provide redundancy (Not that an exploding console actually ever damages the console - just the ensign!). The remaining two are science and engineering.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. Like most things about the defiant, the console positions change nearly every week. Some of them have also been variously used as comm/medical etc...

Generally, the layout is as follows (From the Captains Point of view facing towards the view screen)

Forward - Helm/Ops
    Port forward - Engineering
    Port aft - Tactical 2
    Starboard forward - Tatical 1
    Starboard Aft - Science

Behind the cpt is the situation table and/or holographic communicator as well as Mission Ops and Environment

Now, to finally complicate it even more, when they introduced the Sao Paulo another console was added behind the captains chair - Odo was at it during the final battle for Cardassia, and while it's possible its a tactical station its unlikely because of the fact it provides poor LOS to the main viewscreen - something most other stations seem to have (Though I recall the tactical station on the Enteprise refit in the motion picture being similarly obscured).

Does that help?

Later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Quick note or two...

TNG has shown that both Ops and Tactical seem to open hailing frequency. When TNG first aired, a friend of mine was waiting for Picard to ask engineering to open hailing frequencies.

That aft station was actually aboard the original Defiant - it was basically a small table with some small LCARS interfaces which could recede into the aft bulkhead, with a pair of stools around it (to the port and starboard). I believe that the briefly used holocomm system had its emitters under the table and was used when the table was recessed, though my memory is foggy.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

That aft station was actually aboard the original Defiant - it was basically a small table with some small LCARS interfaces

Ah. That's what I was refering to when I said 'Situation table' - I'm not sure that the station on the Sao Paulo does the same thing - it seems a bit to big and console like (and looted from a TNG set)

Incidentally, I get the feeling that the table at the back of Archer's Enteprise is the evolution of this idea since it didn't quite work in DS9.

And you're remembering right.

Of course, judging by Voyager everyone and their dog can open the hailing frequencies (I remember one where 70f9, Tuvok and Paris all opened them - in one episode)

Later days!

Mark

Here is a picture and layout of the Defiant Bridge I found online.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...ant-bridge.jpg

Could help you and your players visualized some of this. If you can get the Star Trek Magazine with all the layouts for the Defiant it could help alot.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Originally posted by pathstrider
    Of course, judging by Voyager everyone and their dog can open the hailing frequencies.
    Mark
    Trip: "Hey, what's this sticky stuff on my console?"
    T'Pol: "I believe it is the saliva of the canine referred to by humans as 'dog'."
    Trip: "Porthos drooled over the subspace antennae controls!?!"

You're a funny man, mr. Strider!
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Errr.... entirely unitentionally, I'm afriad.

Mark

Thanks for the replies ,you guys rock.

What are the thoughts of everyone on the warhead mentioned in the DS9TM?Canon or not? I can't for the life of me remember any mention of it.seems like a pretty heavy duty 1-shot weapon.

No mention of it onscreen, and the destruction of the Defiant was exactly the sort of situation in which it would be used. Dumb idea anyway.

The deck plans are seriously wonked, too. For one, the central launch bay is backwards from what we saw on screen, and the impulse engines are not in the same place as on the shooting model.

I love the book - there's a wealth of info in it, but it suffers from two main faults: every number in it is inconsistent with both on-screen data and prior official tech books; and Doug Drexler seriously needs to take a course in perspective drawing (computer or otherwise) at minimum he needs tolearn how to order the layers of his images and to lock the PoV with the viewing plane.