Thread: Homecoming

Homecoming

Just picked up the novel Homecoming. It details what happened to Voyager after the terrible "Endgame." I have to say so far this novel is pretty much spot on, on what I expected to see in the ending of the series. Old friends getting together, starting the familiar healing process (particularly between Tom and the Admiral,) etc. It's a shame, sort of, when a Trek novel out does the series.

As one who hasn't been able to stomach a Trek novel in a long time, I recommend this one.

SPOILERS

I just finished this book. In terms of characterization, Christie Golden isn't that great a writer. Her Ravenloft books were terrible. And the Voyager characters were just cardboard cut-outs. (OK, Ok, so they were on the show, too.)

The plot, and sub-plots, were enough, though, to keep me interested to the end of the book. (But, since the editors of novel lines based on intellectual properties assign plots to writers, I'm not giving Golden any credit just yet.) And I probably will pick up part two when its released.

But, like in all Star Trek novels, Homecoming has some plot points that really stretch one's suspension of disbelief:

Harry's ex-girlfriend is now a Starfleet Intelligence agent ? Gimme a break.

Corrupt admirals in the high-Starfleet hierarchy ? C'mon. Roddenberry's Star Trek Earth is a Utopia, not a copy of modern day US and European politics.

And the fight for the rights of holograms ? Puh-lease. I'd've had an easier time of it if they'd changed it a bit and called it a fight for the rights of A.I.s (artificial intelligences) like they did on Andromeda. A.I. implies consciousness and sentience. Hologram does not. Hey, writers and editors: Language is power!

Re: SPOILERS

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    1) I just finished this book. In terms of characterization, Christie Golden isn't that great a writer. Her Ravenloft books were terrible. And the Voyager characters were just cardboard cut-outs. (OK, Ok, so they were on the show, too.)

The plot, and sub-plots, were enough, though, to keep me interested to the end of the book. (But, since the editors of novel lines based on intellectual properties assign plots to writers, I'm not giving Golden any credit just yet.) And I probably will pick up part two when its released.

2) But, like in all Star Trek novels, Homecoming has some plot points that really stretch one's suspension of disbelief:

3) Harry's ex-girlfriend is now a Starfleet Intelligence agent ? Gimme a break.

4) Corrupt admirals in the high-Starfleet hierarchy ? C'mon. Roddenberry's Star Trek Earth is a Utopia, not a copy of modern day US and European politics.

5) And the fight for the rights of holograms ? Puh-lease. I'd've had an easier time of it if they'd changed it a bit and called it a fight for the rights of A.I.s (artificial intelligences) like they did on Andromeda. A.I. implies consciousness and sentience. Hologram does not. Hey, writers and editors: Language is power!
    1) AFAIC I have yet to read any Trek novel that was well written. One of the reasons why I stopped, the other being they are BORING! I didn't think this one would be different. So, I'm not disappointed. Let's face it most Trek novels are crap anyway. IMO.

2) Like most eps?

3) That did give me pause, but I thought "what the hell?"

4) Two words. Admiral Leyton.

5) This plot idea has been around since the Doctor published that book. Besides, how is it really different from the AIs in Andromeda?

Arrow

Don't forget Admiral Cartwright in Kirk's timeline (see Star Trek VI), Admiral Kennedy (sprung Ro Laren from prison to lure a Bajoran rebel for the Cardassian to kill) in TNG, Admiral Necheyev (never did like her), etc.

And of course, who could ever forget (although we would like to), Admiral Kathryn Janeway. Then again, that would be a relief, because she would never ever take on a regular starship command duty assignment.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Arrow Re: Re: SPOILERS

Originally posted by Phantom

5) This plot idea has been around since the Doctor published that book. Besides, how is it really different from the AIs in Andromeda?
    No different really. AI can take many forms, whether it is photonic or electromechanical construct like an android, aka avatar. In the case of Andromeda, she becomes a ship complete with her holographic avatar and a more field-tested combat-ready avatar. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to the AI being two "unit," ship and avatar. The ship AI is called Andromeda (but the crew still slip into calling her Rommie) while her avatar is called Rommie.

Lately they've been given more freedom and status, thanks to Dylan Hunt.

But in Star Trek, holograms are treated as a tool rather than a person, unless one can demonstrate sentience, like Data did. Besides, Doc can only advocate his own people over their mistreatment. I mean no offense, but not every African-American would be advocating the right of other non-white ethnicity. Just a few of the more enlightened ones (Martin Luther King is one of them).

No offense intended.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Re: Re: SPOILERS

Originally posted by Phantom
    1) AFAIC I have yet to read any Trek novel that was well written. One of the reasons why I stopped, the other being they are BORING! I didn't think this one would be different. So, I'm not disappointed. Let's face it most Trek novels are crap anyway. IMO.
    If you haven't yet, I recommend any of the new DS9 novels, especially the ones written by SD Perry. The DS9 relaunch contains some of the best written Trek novels, IMO.

Good to hear Voyager is getting a good treatment. I won't read them, but it's good to hear Pocket Books is working on 'em.

Re: Re: Re: SPOILERS

Originally posted by Ineti
    If you haven't yet, I recommend any of the new DS9 novels, especially the ones written by SD Perry. The DS9 relaunch contains some of the best written Trek novels, IMO.

Good to hear Voyager is getting a good treatment. I won't read them, but it's good to hear Pocket Books is working on 'em.
    I tried to read AVATAR, but got bored real fast with it, perhaps it might be worth a retry. I find most Trek novels plodding.

At least Harry got a promotion, I know it's not "official" but at least somewhere he made it out of the Ensign ranks.

You woulod think Starfleet would try Janeway for some of what she did in the Delt Quadrant

Originally posted by Typhonis 1
    You woulod think Starfleet would try Janeway for some of what she did in the Delt Quadrant
    This point has been made before. Personally I think, she 1) Got her ship and crew back home (more or less intact.) 2) Made cantact with "more races then Kirk." 3) Brought back a whole crap load of tactical data on the Borg, stuff SF would never be able to get their hands on. And to be perfectly honest I don't remember an instance where she actually broke the Prime Directive or any of the General Orders regarding other Species...Bent them, yes. But, broke them...

Originally posted by Typhonis 1

Kirk falls in the same boat... and Picard.... and Sisko... and (if there was a prime directive) Archer.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

If they prosecuted every officer who made a fool of himself, they wouldn't have anyone over the rank of Lieutenant.

What about officers that collaborate with Enemies of the Federation

The Borg: It was against an hostile force, in a case where the ship's security was threatened as well as the eventual safety of the Federation and her allies, and not in a case of hostile action against a federation ally (and I doubt it could have given the Borg a higher hand in a Borg-UFP conflict)

The Maquis: I'm sure she had a way to get it passed through the administration,

Kirk collaborated with the Klingons ('Day of the Dove', STV).

Picard collaborated with the Romulans & Cardassians ('The Chase') and the Borg ('Descent').

Sisko collaborated with the Dominion ('To the Death').

No court martials for them. I guess it is allowed under certain circumstances.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Re: SPOILERS

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    (But, since the editors of novel lines based on intellectual properties assign plots to writers, I'm not giving Golden any credit just yet.)
    That may have been the case with this, the first book in the VOY relaunch, but I don't believe it's standard practice. Most of the Trek writers I know pitch story ideas to the editors at Pocket Books, and if something sticks, they go with it. I don't think there are that many "in-house" writers on Trek, at least.