Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New V a "Go"

New V a "Go"

http://pub61.ezboard.com/filanasmoth...picID=80.topic

I trust the people on this site. Apparently, Ken Johnson has a deal struck to do a "Next Generation"-style revival of V.

No real details yet, except that it will most likely IGNORE the series! (Thankfully!)

I'm looking forward to this!
    Deo Vindice!

Does that mean it's also going to ignore the last wretched 15 minutes of the second miniseries? Oooh! look, glowie lights. The little girl is going to magically save us all! What an uplifting ending! (NOT!)

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    Does that mean it's also going to ignore the last wretched 15 minutes of the second miniseries? Oooh! look, glowie lights. The little girl is going to magically save us all! What an uplifting ending! (NOT!)
    Not sure, but possibly. I know Johnson HATES the "starchild" concept as it was used. The novelization, I believe, is closer to what he had in mind, ie, that she was a VERY smart little girl and hacked the codes to the doomsday device.
    Deo Vindice!

Ignoring the series is the best thing they could do.

And I agree, the Starchild glowing lights mystical thing sucked. The book handled it much better.

Anyway, I'll certainly look forward to seeing them follow up on the original mini-series properly. Certainly far more than seeing someone 'reimagine' the whole thing with a completely new cast.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I don't know I don't think reimagin in this case is the right words. Johnson has always made it publicly well known how huch he had to compromise with NBC to get the thing made and then his imput was vitually ignored when they made the second miniseries (and BTW right on about the "Starchild" thing) and the series had nothing to do with him. So in this case saying he has a second chance to do it right might be better. In addition most of the original cast is well too old now to build with, though Ironside could still do his role effectively and seeing Jane Badler come out of retirement might work as well. The Shuttles and Ships well great 20 years ago could stand some updating, though the different look of the different motherships across the world (Due to several matt artist working far apart) was actually an effective way of suggesting a masisve fleet of several different kinds of ship, Johnson mentions this in the commentary on the DVD.

In all I am VERY happy about this, V was an important part in my Sci Fi development as it followed Star Wars in my deep interest, I still find V based stories and drawings in my boxes and I have most of the novels. I would love to see East Coast crisis finally get a shot at the big screen as well with the train chace being full of potential.
    Draftsmen in Training

Actually, the reimagining comment was a reference to the New Battlestar Galactica.

As for the new V, I believe Marc Singer, Robert Englund, Jane Badler and Faye Grant have already been signed for it. I don't think any of them are too old.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Interesting. I remember very little about the original V, so it might be neat to check out a new version.

Well if that's an indication our copy of both V mini-series have been solid renters.

I'm just not sure about the title 'The Next Generation' ...reminds me of something

What is V?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Some spoilers for those unfamilar but leaves the good parts and surprises out.

Aliens who look like humans but have voices with an echo show up one day in giant (5 mile across) Motherships. They offer technology in exchange for certain chemical components to help there dying planet recover. Humanity buys hook line and sinker but slowly the aliens who profess to be our friends seem to be everywhere. When some scientist in California are on the verge of discovering their secret and a enterprising reporter sneaks aboard a mothership and is about to air what he saw a supposed scientist conspiracy is uncovered and exposed by Human law enfnorcement and Vistor officials, martial law is declared and the Vistors esstually take over the planet. Soon a Resistence springs up and use the old V sign as there symbol for Victory over the Visitors.

1st Miniseries (4 hours/1983) was about the take over
    2nd Miniseries (6hours/1984) was about the Liberation
    Regular Series (1984-1985) was about the Visitors return and the fighting of a global war.

In addition there was a regular novel series with about 10 or so books and a DC comic series of about 17 issues.
    Draftsmen in Training

Originally posted by Ineti
    Interesting. I remember very little about the original V, so it might be neat to check out a new version.
    If you're looking for a refresher, both minis are available on VHS and DVD.
    Deo Vindice!

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    Well if that's an indication our copy of both V mini-series have been solid renters.

I'm just not sure about the title 'The Next Generation' ...reminds me of something
    I'm pretty sure that's just a conceptual/working title...
    Deo Vindice!

KEWL! I loved 'V' when the two mini-series came out. The 'Starchild' thing didn't bother me, but it wouldn't bug me if they dropped it either.

There are only two actors that I think are an absolute 'must' from the original version: Michael Ironside and Marc Singer (followed closely by Robert Englund in 2nd place.)

While we're on the subject, did anyone notice that Jeff Yagher (Kyle Bates) was also Idren, the deranged hologram in Voyager's "Flesh And Blood ?"

Yeah, I'll be most upset if Michael Ironside doesn't return as Ham Tyler. I'd like to see Frank Ashmore back as Martin as well (which should be possible, if they ignore the series).

True I think he could still pull Tyler off, much better then Singer could be Donavan now, but to tell you the truth I would not mind seeing Ironside cast as the "new" John he would be a very good match and more convincing an internal foe for Diana then John Hurt or June Chadwick ever was.
    Draftsmen in Training