Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New V a "Go"

Actually, Marc Singer is still in pretty good shape, IMHO. Indeed, I think most of the main cast still look pretty fit. Singer's only in his 50's, and I think the female cast members (Badler, Grant) are in their 40's. Not sure about Ironside, but he doesn't look much different. Just a bit greyer.

Oh, and I think you mean Richard Herd, not John Hurt I doubt we'll see the character of John back anyway, given his fate at the end of the Final Battle.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Hum, sounds interesting. Have to check this out. Do the two minis have names to tell them apart?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

"Richard Herd, not John Hurt" ya like I said Richard Herd

The first miniseries was just V, the second was V: The Final Battle, but there really just one 10 hour miniseries. I am also assuming that Johnson will start over as its just been way too long to just start were he left off.
    Draftsmen in Training

Hey it just dawn on me if V is brought back to life does that mean there might be a chance for an official V RPG?
    Draftsmen in Training

Originally posted by Eric R.
    Hey it just dawn on me if V is brought back to life does that mean there might be a chance for an official V RPG?
    That'd be pretty cool, wouldn't it?

It wouldn't be too hard to use an existing rules set for V, if the mechanics were any good at all. The best choice for it (assuming again the mechanics are good) might be that Stargate RPG that's supposedly due out this summer.

The story setups are similar enough and the relative "tech level" difference between humans and aliens seems about right (the Gate itself notwithstanding).
    Deo Vindice!

Aliens who look like humans but have voices with an echo show up one day in giant (5 mile across) Motherships.
    The Shots of the ships were reused in Alien Nation IIRC

Also a cute line from a kid watching the first contact on TV

"He dosen't look like Mr. Spock!"

I ran a V RPG many, many years ago, using the James Bond rules. Boy, now I feel old.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Originally posted by Karg
    The Shots of the ships were reused in Alien Nation IIRC

If I remember right Alien Nation used alot of old V material such as Mothership interior sets, the mothership, a uniform of two as well. There has been several movies/show that used old sets and props and some of the fans have even made it a running contest to spot them. One the most recent was the "toy" Shuttlecraft seen in the background of the Sci Fi nerds room in "Suddenly Susan" the same ship was also seen in an espisode of "Different Strokes" as well.
    Draftsmen in Training

If I remember right Alien Nation used alot of old V material such as Mothership interior sets, the mothership, a uniform of two as well. There has been several movies/show that used old sets and props and some of the fans have even made it a running contest to spot them. One the most recent was the "toy" Shuttlecraft seen in the background of the Sci Fi nerds room in "Suddenly Susan" the same ship was also seen in an espisode of "Different Strokes" as well.
    I got a more recent one than that. The Shock Trooper uniform (or at least the helmet from) appeared in one of those cheap-o UPN/Sci Fi Channel "movies of the week" as part of a police uniform.
    Deo Vindice!

Originally posted by darkwing duck1

It wouldn't be too hard to use an existing rules set for V, if the mechanics were any good at all. The best choice for it (assuming again the mechanics are good) might be that Stargate RPG that's supposedly due out this summer.
    I think the Hero system would work pretty well, for both V and Stargate.

No, No, NO.

I'm sorry, but I still think "V"'s concept was dumb, dumb, DUMB.

(I felt that way about ID4, as well.)

Any alien species sufficiently advanced to perfect artificial gravity and transport the entirety of their global population between the stars isn't going to NEED to make planetfall.

Water? You can get it more easily from melting a few comets. Plus you can carry as much with you as you want. You don't have to haul it up out of a gravity well.

Raw materials? Same as above, but with asteroids.

Meat? REALLY?? Hello, cloned foodstuffs and protein stores! Build a bloody FARM ship!

On the other hand, there was a "reimagining" of the show I recall having read Larry Niven talking about doing consultant work for, with some others, wherein the REAL reason the Visitors wanted Earth was because they claimed prior ownership -- the Visitors were descended from a Dinosaur-Age covilization that had left Earth millions of years ago, and they'd come home to find it crawling with... *shudder* MAMMALS!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two

Meat? REALLY?? Hello, cloned foodstuffs and protein stores! Build a bloody FARM ship!

Which do you like better, a soya burger or 100% REAL BEEF? I think The Vistors just liked their meals fresh. Though I do like the idea of evolved dinosaurs.

It's called suspension of disbelief. It was silly sometimes, it was pretty cheesy in places, but it was entertaining. If I want serious sci fi I'll read a book. Though it's worth noting that real science contradicts many classic SF novels. Doesn't really detract from them though, IMHO. Martian Chronicles is still a great book, despite being totally invalidated by reality. It's underlying theme is still of value though. And it was a decent show, IMHO.

V was not serious classic SF, and was full of technical nonsense. But there was an underlying theme to it that is still relevant (albeit horribly unsubtle).

By the way, did anyone else hear Majel Roddenberry's claims that V was ripped off from Gene Roddenberry's original pitch for Earth: Final Conflict?
    Last edited by Capt Daniel Hunter; 06-02-2003 at 05:02 PM.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by First of Two

I'm sorry, but I still think "V"'s concept was dumb, dumb, DUMB.

Any alien species sufficiently advanced to perfect artificial gravity and transport the entirety of their global population between the stars isn't going to NEED to make planetfall.
    'V's aliens didn't transport their entire population. They sent the military to steal and transport natural resources back to their homeworld.

As for tech levels and intelligence of a species, look at it this way: Just because you're smart enough to build a nuclear reactor, and have sufficient material to fuel it, doesn't mean your homeworld is fully stocked with food and water. Abundance of one resource doesn't mean an abundance of all resources regardless of your ingenuity in using what you have.

Water? You can get it more easily from melting a few comets. Plus you can carry as much with you as you want. You don't have to haul it up out of a gravity well.
    Comets aren't fresh water. Most comets are actually frozen neutral and volatile gases. Sure, you'll find some water, but, mixed with everything else in the comet, its usually poisonous.

Extracting ice from within a comet would be dangerous and processing water out of comet ice would be expensive. If you want fresh water, its easier and cheaper to desalinize sea water.

Raw materials? Same as above, but with asteroids.
    Depends on what materials you are looking for. Not going to find a lot of plant or animal life on asteriods with no atmospheres. (THAT was the Visitors first priority.)

Since the series establishes that the Visitors are carnivores exclusively, that means they raise livestock. (There was also some intimation that they were also cannibalistic when necessary. . . .)

To raise livestock of any kind, you need natural resources -- food and water! If you don't have the resources to feed and water yourself, you certainly don't have enough resources to feed and water your livestock.

Its even more costly to clone something and then feed and water it. . . .

But, lo, and behold, radio transmissions show you a world that's 70% water and full of healthy livestock! (Well, at least in America and Europe). Load up the truck, Jed, we got plenty of fuel but no water. Lets go!

So, nope, the concept, at its basic level still holds, in my opinion.

Remember folks, Soylent Green is people. . . .

In addition I got the idea that the Vistors were involved in a cold war some place and that they needed more soldiers as well as maybe denying Earth to its enemy. Plus I got the feeling that the Great leader wanted to get his military out amd far away so as not to have it ploting coups, another words give the militrary something to do. Just look at the politicial infighting to get to the top between John, Pamela, Diana, and Lydia, as well Steven.
    Draftsmen in Training