Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Ralph ('original' NPC)

1. To get the idea of what 3 - 5 pounds would feel like as a shield on yer arm, take a kitchen chair and bind it to your arm. Granted, the legs & back will make it very ungangly, but it should give you the idea of what 5 pounds feels like on your arm.

You could also go into the gym and bind a 5 lb. weight to your arm, but with it being metal and so small, it may not give you the effect of area spreading out the weight which can make a huge difference in the feel. Kinda like a 5 lb. claymore v. a 5 lb. long-sword (damn heavy longsword) - the long sword could easily be a 1 hander, but with the length of the claymore, it's gonna be very hard for a dude with less strength than Dolph Lundgren to wield with 1 hand.

To get the feeling of what a sword would feel like in combat, take one of those nerf weights used in aerobics classes and start swinging it around your head & torso. See how long it takes to work up a sweat. Or, go out back and pick up the axe and start splitting the cord of wood --- then pick up the aul and continue splitting - give you the idea of what a 2 - 3 lb. axe going through shield and armour would be like and how tiring it can be + what an 8 lb. sledge / mace / war-hammer would be like going through the same shield and armour. Gets lots of aggression out too *big evil grin* = free work-out & you get the added benefit of an expanding chest & boulder shoulders.
    --------------------

<ul>
    <li><a href="http://ghlbeyerlein.tripod.com"> My web site</a>
    <li> <a href="http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/358/grutos_metallipage.html">My MetalliStation</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/"> United Device's distributive computing Cancer Research Project</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.firstgov.gov">FirstGov.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.tsa.gov/public/index.jsp">TSA.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/">Homeland Security</a>

RotK, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Stern now was Eomer's mood, and his mind clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last, and stand, and fight there on foot till all fell, and do deeds of song on the fields of Pelennor, though no man should be left in the West to remember the last King of the Mark.

Apparently the Riders could form a shield wall with the shields they carried on horseback, so they couldn't be talking about tower shields or wall shields. Medieval sources like the Bayeux tapestry show shield walls formed with kite shields, which are probably the largest practical shields for riders. I also seem to recall illustrations of Vikings forming shield walls with their round shields. And of course you can make a shield wall with the classic knightly "heater" shield; that's what I use in SCA combat and I really get a kick out of standing in the front rank of the battle lines.

As for Boromir's shield, it doesn't seem to be mentioned at all in Tolkien's description of the battle at Amon Hen. In my mind, he had it with him during his last stand. Of course, my mind is influenced by the fact that I really like fighting with sword and shield.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Re: RotK, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Originally posted by Sarge
    As for Boromir's shield, it doesn't seem to be mentioned at all in Tolkien's description of the battle at Amon Hen. In my mind, he had it with him during his last stand. Of course, my mind is influenced by the fact that I really like fighting with sword and shield. [/B]
    I am pretty sure he left it behind when he went in search of Frodo.
    Frodo went away, in order to make his decision regarding their route to Mordor. When it is taking too long, Aragorn and Sam suddenly realize that both Frodo and Boromir are gone, with Boromir's pack and shield lying by the fire.
    Boromir returns, Sam accuses him of doing evil things and they run off in search of Frodo. Then the Orcs attack.
    So I guess he most have left it behind.

Thanks for the reference from the books, Sarge.

I reread the end of the FotR and the start of TTT, and found that it doesn't mention his shield at all. He didn't have it with him when he chased after Frodo, then he returns to camp; everyone panics and runs off to find Frodo, so Aragorn tells Boromir to follow the young Hobbits.

Then in TTT Aragorn finds Boromir, who dies; then Aragorn, Legolas, and Boromir set Boromir in a boat and send him down stream. In the boat they place Boromir's sword, and broken horn, and the swords and shields of his foes; but two strange things are that it doesn't mention Boromir's shield, and instead says that they placed Boromir's helm in! I didn't know he brought a helm with him, that's awesome.

So basically; I think in the books, as they are just leaving Rivendell it mentions that Boromir has a shield (but does not mention a helm); then when he's dead it mentions his helm (but does not mention what became of his shield). I can easily imagine his shield being lost in the melee with the Watcher or in Moria, but I don't know where he'd get the helm, hmmm.

You're right KoR, the shield is shown in the movie.
    Damn the movies...it mixes up all the little details!

Originally posted by Meneltin
    Darn the movies...it mixes up all the little details!
    Ah, but I would not be so obsessed if the movies hadn't come out!

But wait... does that mean the movies were a good thing or a bad thing?

Originally posted by Meneltin
    You're right KoR, the shield is shown in the movie.
    Damn the movies...it mixes up all the little details!
    That's okay. Enjoy the movies, then read the books and enjoy the books. Both can co-exist.