Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Lessons from Nemesis

Wink

I'm sorry to break it to you, Liz, but 4th-graders on LSD could have made a better movie than this.
    not sure if I agree totally with the statement above but it sure made me laugh!

But seriously, I think we can all agree at least that Nemesis could have been much more better than it was.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Saw the movie once. Thought it was okay. Won't be buying it. Laughed my butt off at the list. Everyone cope.
    Like anyone is actually reading this.

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man
    Yep, but it was still a good movie. I enjoyed it three times.
    Well you CAN enjoy something without "it" being any good.

Joe, offering some (skewed) perspective
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

I liked Nemesis. I think that it wasn't one of the Top movies of all times, "Khan" and "First Contact" deffinitly are the top two, but it was better than ALL of the odd numbered movies out there.

I think maybe people were looking for it to suck for one reason or another. Probably so they could demand another Next Gen movie be made before they move on.

Speaking of which, whats next? Are they going to Voyager for their next film, or will we be seeing an Enterprise movie?
    Those who fight and run away...
    Would have never gotten away with that under 2nd Edition rules

Re: 10 Lessons from Nemesis

Best lesson: Quit while you're ahead.

Although, it's deaf ears all around ...

Steve

P.S. But oh wait, Romulan ale shouldn't be served ... again ...
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Originally posted by General Chang

To each their own though. I for one LOVED Nemesis, despite its flaws...because it is just a movie. Remember that even the much vaunted Wrath of Khan had flaws as well. Things like starship collisions occur simply for dramatic purpose. I mean, the ocean itself is big enough to avoid ship to ship collisions, and yet if some writer decided to involve a combative ship collision, then it would serve the purpose of advancing his/her story dramatically.
    Besides, remember what Worf ordered in First Contact:
    "PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!"

Hmmm....Nemesis gets vilified, First Contact gets praised.
    *shrug* although not know to the general audience, we have seen ships go through Borg shields before. The thing that really ticked me off was Shinzon's uber ship in general. Can take so much punishment AND fire through cloak. BAH.

[b]
    For some counter points....

5. Even real life boats can function with some hull damage, at least make it back to port. (Again, with the Ent E's nose crumpled---it's all just a movie. Dramatic purpose. Hell, even the Scimitar was able to function. ) To try and put a technical spin on this: Well......redundant force fields to prevent further decompression of the ship....redundant energy and information distribution ports to keep the ship functioning.
    [b]
    Perhaps... But damn, I would not want to have quarters at the fore of the enterprise... and NOT be on shift. Wonder how many crew died in that ramming scheme?

6. I think if the underappreciative fans of Trek can take into consideration that the writers/producers of Trek go through a living hell of trying not to repeat themselves with nearly 40 years of stories behind them, they might appreciate Nemesis more. But Trek fans THINK they know what it takes to make a BETTER Trek story. Boring exploration, Prime Directives and Political Correctness. That is all well and good for the small screen, but BIG SCREEN Adventures call for BIG SCREEN Action. Something that Generations (Overblown episode), First Contact (Came close, but overblown episode), and Insurrection (definitely a two hour TV movie), failed to do.

But, those are my humble opinions.

With all due respect,
    General Chang
    With all due respect, why SHOULD I think that they went through a living hell? (sorry if that makes me unappreciative). Many elements were thinly veiled retreads of Trek II, V and others in the movie series (not even talking about the tv series which with over 300 eps it is more understandable).

I liked some of Nemesis... but very little. In the end I was more disappointed by it than not. A shame really since the previews made it look more interesting than it turned out to be.

The PREVIEW factor---

Odoital, I strongly agree with you on the whole preview aspect, that the previews make the films look more interesting than they really are.....that's why Generations, FC, and Insurrection disappointed me. It's the pacing of the previews that make the films look more like all out action flicks, and then when we finally see them...well...I paid seven bucks for this?!!

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Re: The PREVIEW factor---

Originally posted by General Chang
    Captain Kirk: (snickers) Earth--Hitler--1938. (sips Romulan Ale)
    Off topic a bit but I don't recall him snickering before he said that. I recall it being quite blunt and cutting in how quickly he laid it out.

I might be wrong.

As for the merits of Nemesis, well I liked it in the theater, but rewatching it on DVD gave me a whole new "meh" feeling about it.

Other than First Contact, all the TNG Treks have given me the "meh" feeling.

To be honest I loved Tom Hardy, and Dontara should have been Sela, IMNSHO.

Re: Re: The PREVIEW factor---

Originally posted by AslanC
    Off topic a bit but I don't recall him snickering before he said that. I recall it being quite blunt and cutting in how quickly he laid it out.

I might be wrong.

As for the merits of Nemesis, well I liked it in the theater, but rewatching it on DVD gave me a whole new "meh" feeling about it.

Other than First Contact, all the TNG Treks have given me the "meh" feeling.

To be honest I loved Tom Hardy, and Dontara should have been Sela, IMNSHO.
    I recall a snickering either, but *shrug*

I share your opinions about the TNG trek movies, and I am a bigger fan of the TNG TV series than TOS...

I guess I am an unrealistic geek, but I would have loved it much more if they went at it as a political thriller (more like a Jack Ryan film) than a "whose ship is bigger" type of film. I would have loved to see great dialogue exchanges between Picard, Sela, and SPOCK.

Regarding the snicker....you are both correct....Kirk kinda smirked...not snickered....I think when I wrote that down, I just kinda put it in for effect.

Odoital, I like the way you think. I have always wanted to see a Tom Clancy-esque Star Trek story. Especially a "Hunt for Red October" type story...or even a "Sum of All Fears" type film for Trek.

It's a shame that Mr. Clancy himself would probably never even consider writing a Trek tale.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    Last edited by General Chang; 06-14-2003 at 11:55 PM.
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Styro's spot on there. At GQ/Red Alert, there's no such thing as "off duty." Everyone has a job when the ship is threatened.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I guess I was thinking back to the good old days when E-D had families on board. My error.

Still I am sure there were lotsa casualties there. And yeah they knew the dangers, but this is star trek!

Aye, and those poor ol' red shirts from the days of old knew the dangers too....despite the mortality rate associated with that uniform.

"Look behind that rock!" BOOM!

"Captain, I've found something!" BOOM!

"Nyah! Nyah! I've got a red shirt!" BOOM!

"Ya canna change th' laws o' physics!" ----chirp----chirp

(Did you really think I was gonna boom the great Monty Scott?)

Respectfully,
    General Chang