Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Lessons from Nemesis

Talking 10 Lessons from Nemesis

A friend at work just saw it for the first time this weekend and sent this to me...

10 Lessons from Nemesis

10) Even though Data had difficulty mastering enough Remen to open a door, written language ability is not required to start, arm, and pilot a strike craft.
    9) As in Starship Troopers, Space is infinite, but not big enough to avoid collisions.
    8) Evil scheeming Romulans need genocidal plans pointed out to them with a billboard and highlighted
    7) Those same Romulans won't let someone else commit genocide on their hated foes.
    6) Romulan ale always gets a laugh
    5) Dune buggies don't need to worry about the prime directive
    4) No plot line, no matter how often used in the series, cannot be ignored ("Lore? What Lore?")
    3) Shields, although they can stop phasers, disrupters, and torpedoes make no difference to a ram attack.
    2) A carefully designed ship, whose very hull is arranged to focus energy generated on the bridge, will contiue to function although its nose was crumpled.
    1) Even numbered Trek movies can suck!

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Very astute, and humorous list there, amigo.

To each their own though. I for one LOVED Nemesis, despite its flaws...because it is just a movie. Remember that even the much vaunted Wrath of Khan had flaws as well. Things like starship collisions occur simply for dramatic purpose. I mean, the ocean itself is big enough to avoid ship to ship collisions, and yet if some writer decided to involve a combative ship collision, then it would serve the purpose of advancing his/her story dramatically.
    Besides, remember what Worf ordered in First Contact:
    "PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!"

Hmmm....Nemesis gets vilified, First Contact gets praised.

For some counter points....

1. Remember that Data was unlocking a security code to the Reman Warbird's flight deck. Obviously a security code, even in an alien language, would be much more complex and multi-faceted than the info one would divine from a Scorpion class attack ship. (Then again, perhaps Data has a little C-3P0 in him)

2. Romulans may have been evil and scheming, but remember, most of them are regarded as honorable...perhaps not in the Klingon sense of the word...but they are honorable. Donatra recognized Shinzon's true motives, and warned Suran about them.

3. Dune buggies, well, that was just something different for Star Trek. Different may not always mean good, but it does not have to necessarilly mean bad either. It made for a better big screen experience than oh, having the Kolarans chase an escaping shuttlecraft until it reached escape velocity...that would have been a very short chase scene indeed. I think we're all just gonna have to get over this one immutable truth that seems to be emerging: "THE PRIME DIRECTIVE BE DAMNED!"

4. For the matter of shields, or space combat in general, please read the thread : "Enterprise E in Combat" posted by yours truly.
    You might find some interesting insights from a lot of people there.

5. Even real life boats can function with some hull damage, at least make it back to port. (Again, with the Ent E's nose crumpled---it's all just a movie. Dramatic purpose. Hell, even the Scimitar was able to function. ) To try and put a technical spin on this: Well......redundant force fields to prevent further decompression of the ship....redundant energy and information distribution ports to keep the ship functioning.

6. I think if the underappreciative fans of Trek can take into consideration that the writers/producers of Trek go through a living hell of trying not to repeat themselves with nearly 40 years of stories behind them, they might appreciate Nemesis more. But Trek fans THINK they know what it takes to make a BETTER Trek story. Boring exploration, Prime Directives and Political Correctness. That is all well and good for the small screen, but BIG SCREEN Adventures call for BIG SCREEN Action. Something that Generations (Overblown episode), First Contact (Came close, but overblown episode), and Insurrection (definitely a two hour TV movie), failed to do.

But, those are my humble opinions.

With all due respect,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

No prob, Chang!

Just thought I'd throw a little levity onto the boards... as you said, it's just a movie. I just got a kick out of my friend's observations, and thought some of the board members might, too.

Weez all cool 'ere!

Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

Originally posted by General Chang
    Very astute, and humorous list there, amigo.

To each their own though. I for one LOVED Nemesis, despite its flaws...because it is just a movie. Remember that even the much vaunted Wrath of Khan had flaws as well. Things like starship collisions occur simply for dramatic purpose. I mean, the ocean itself is big enough to avoid ship to ship collisions, and yet if some writer decided to involve a combative ship collision, then it would serve the purpose of advancing his/her story dramatically.
    Besides, remember what Worf ordered in First Contact:
    "PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!"

Hmmm....Nemesis gets vilified, First Contact gets praised.

For some counter points....

1. Remember that Data was unlocking a security code to the Reman Warbird's flight deck. Obviously a security code, even in an alien language, would be much more complex and multi-faceted than the info one would divine from a Scorpion class attack ship. (Then again, perhaps Data has a little C-3P0 in him)

2. Romulans may have been evil and scheming, but remember, most of them are regarded as honorable...perhaps not in the Klingon sense of the word...but they are honorable. Donatra recognized Shinzon's true motives, and warned Suran about them.

3. Dune buggies, well, that was just something different for Star Trek. Different may not always mean good, but it does not have to necessarilly mean bad either. It made for a better big screen experience than oh, having the Kolarans chase an escaping shuttlecraft until it reached escape velocity...that would have been a very short chase scene indeed. I think we're all just gonna have to get over this one immutable truth that seems to be emerging: "THE PRIME DIRECTIVE BE DAMNED!"

4. For the matter of shields, or space combat in general, please read the thread : "Enterprise E in Combat" posted by yours truly.
    You might find some interesting insights from a lot of people there.

5. Even real life boats can function with some hull damage, at least make it back to port. (Again, with the Ent E's nose crumpled---it's all just a movie. Dramatic purpose. Hell, even the Scimitar was able to function. ) To try and put a technical spin on this: Well......redundant force fields to prevent further decompression of the ship....redundant energy and information distribution ports to keep the ship functioning.

6. I think if the underappreciative fans of Trek can take into consideration that the writers/producers of Trek go through a living hell of trying not to repeat themselves with nearly 40 years of stories behind them, they might appreciate Nemesis more. But Trek fans THINK they know what it takes to make a BETTER Trek story. Boring exploration, Prime Directives and Political Correctness. That is all well and good for the small screen, but BIG SCREEN Adventures call for BIG SCREEN Action. Something that Generations (Overblown episode), First Contact (Came close, but overblown episode), and Insurrection (definitely a two hour TV movie), failed to do.

But, those are my humble opinions.

With all due respect,
    General Chang
    Wow, someone decides to make a joke and someone corrects his humor. How Drool.

Sorry I think this correction is in poor taste and Nemisis does not need to be defended on a humor thread. Do so on the other serious Nemisis threads.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Hey, why would thread hijacking be the priviledge of the naysayers ?
    We too have the right to intrude on any topic to claim that whichever series or movie is good, no matter what the topic was about in the first place

Very funny list BTW. And I like Nemesis though.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Wow.

For the record I thought your top 10 was funny.

Well I thought the movie was OK, but the list is fairly amusing. I wish I could think of a few more, but alas I can't. Though I don't think I'd want to be a helmsman on Picard's Enterprise. How many has he lost in 3 movies? Not good odds. Oh, and never let the Counselor drive.

Hey T'lara, I think you need to relax more. Chang wasn't being aggressive, and his post wasn't a 'correction'. Hugh (who started this thread) wasn't offended, so what's the problem?
    Last edited by Capt Daniel Hunter; 06-03-2003 at 02:02 PM.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Thumbs up

great job Liz.

*applauds Liz*

Nemesis most certainly did rock
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

"Ok, lets see you do better!"

Working on it. Got a spec script actually up to Andre Boormis for Enterprise. We'll see, though; the B&B team doesn't like unsolicited stuff, I'm told.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth

Ok, lets see you do better!

At least I wouldn't have portrayed the Romulans as 3rd rate, know nothing, unsubtle, incompetent morons.

Nor would I've held auditions for the antagonists using rejects from a Max Shrek film!

BTW, no need to shout.

Originally posted by qerlin

Working on it. Got a spec script actually up to Andre Boormis for Enterprise. We'll see, though; the B&B team doesn't like unsolicited stuff, I'm told.
    Because that would be introducing an unstable element into the production equation....I believe it is called real writing talent.

Good luck with the script.

Enterprise is actually the first ST series to not allow scripts on spec (which is the industry standard... trek was the exception in allowing them until recently). Most series won't even open them because of the risk of lawsuit (if they ever did a story even remotely similar to what you wrote, even if it had no relation to your screenplay, you could sue).

And, apparently, duing production of Voyager, that's exactly what happened. Viacom settled, but it caused some problems, so they won't accept any unsolicited manuscripts anymore.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

My dad is friends with this woman who is friends with another woman who is personal friends of B&B. The personal friend of B&B told me to submit a script...so I am working on one for Enterprise aswell.