Thread: NPC vs PC Templates

Question NPC vs PC Templates

Does anyone know the approximate point difference between an NPC template (like the species ones in the Core Books) and the species templates used for character creation? How many points would you need to drop a species stats (as provided in the books) to use it as a character creation template?

Cheers in advance,
    Pope

PS Random grins coz I just swung a copy of ICON Dune for $41 (when I see it going for $100 everywhere else).

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Question

I thouht all Species Templates were supposed to be worked to be approximately 50DP...give or take a point or two (the Human Template is somewhat less than 50DP, but there is another - can't remember which one - which works out to 52DP).

------------------
    In spite of the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

Originally posted by Pope:
    Does anyone know the approximate point difference between an NPC template (like the species ones in the Core Books) and the species templates used for character creation? How many points would you need to drop a species stats (as provided in the books) to use it as a character creation template?
    There is no difference between the points of PC Templates vs. NPC Templates. If you want to distinguish between the prime characters and the mooks, this is what I do: Prime NPCs get the full character treatment while mooks get only a template and overlay.

Question

I'm assuming by NPC Templates, Pope means the "Alien Species Templates" that are listed in each Core Book (Aliens chapter in TNG & DS9; New Life chapter in TOS). The templates do not have skills listed, but they do have a suggested Attribute range and typical Advantages & Disadvantages.

I think you are pretty much left to your own devices to "fill out" one of these templates, Pope. Here's the "creation system" way to do it:

-Each "1" in an Attribute costs 2 DP.

-Each "+1" in an Edge costs 1 DP. Obviously each "-1" gains you a point.

-Select from the typical Advantages & Disadvantages whatever you think is appropriate for the species.

Add the above totals, then subtract this total from 50 (IIRC, the Character Creation Templates are 50 DP). Whatever is left over is the amount of DP you have to spend on skills for the template.

Ta Da! There you have it.

Cheers!

LQ

------------------
    "No one controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me... and that's just barely possible!" -John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Liquidator Queeg (edited 12-04-2000).]

Exclamation

Originally posted by Paul:
    I thouht all Species Templates were supposed to be worked to be approximately 50DP...give or take a point or two (the Human Template is somewhat less than 50DP, but there is another - can't remember which one - which works out to 52DP).

Actually with a 5DP cost for Courage points, Humans come out at exactly a 54 point template...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Unhappy

Yeah..but 5DP per Courage point is plain ridiculous, IMHO.

Did we ever get a definitive answer to how many DP Courage Points actually cost? Don? Steve? Owen?

------------------
    In spite of the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited 12-04-2000).]