Thread: Underwater Combat

Underwater Combat

Has anyone worked out any rules for underwater combat?

I presume you work it in a similar fashion to zero-g combat.

But do you think phasers would still work underwater? I doubt they would because of light refraction (although I am basing this on light based weapons such as lasers). Phasers work differently so I wonder what your take is.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Re: Underwater Combat

Originally posted by JonA
    I presume you work it in a similar fashion to zero-g combat.
    For ease of play, that's what I would do.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Phasers work under water, as seen in the Voyager episode about the holograms in the Hirogen training station, some holograms were firing from below the surface at the Hirogen hunters standing next to the lake. And even lasers should work under water, as long as it is clear enough. The only problem with lasers weapons is that a laser beam changes its direction every time it passes from one medium to another one with a different density. However that wouldn't really be a problem, since the light from the target would be deflected equally. So, a laser would be more accurate than a phaser beam, travelling in a straight line.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

You'd get a lot of energy bleed in the water, IMO: I'd half the stamina TN for resisting stun -- the electrical charge in the beam would lose some punch. On other settings, it's gonna get HOT in the water. Make them roll a stamina vs. it based on the damage rating (1/2 max damage, maybe?) Shooting into or out of water in air, etc would give your a +5TN due to refraction. Light does it, so do bullets and other particle forms.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Since a phaser beams are basically particle beams, the person that fires it might also get a electric shock from firing the beam in the water since water cinducts electricicity very well. And since Phaser beams can have alot of wattage in their beams, it might become a real factor. I'm not sure though if it would be a factor but it might be something to think about.

There is a great site out on the net called How Stuff Works that a friend turned me onto. The science section esspecially, since they tell you how alot about how basic scientific principals work without getting overly technical. I found an article on how Lasers work, and it might have info on Particle Beams too.

Here's the address: http://science.howstuffworks.com/laser.htm

They also have an article on how Atom Smashers work
    heres the address: http://science.howstuffworks.com/atom-smasher.htm

I hope you find these article useful
    Riggen Out.

I've think that you can ire phasers underwater. in the Star Trek: Starfleet survival guide there is a section on how you can use a phaser to sterilize water for drinking. it says something like put it on beam intensity 3, beam width 7 and place the emmiter crystal into the water 1 centimeter below the water line. A single 15 second discharge would bring 12 liters of water to the boiling point. Maybe this little tidbit will help out.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II