Thread: Intrepid vs Galaxy

Intrepid vs Galaxy

So what do you guys think. Does the Intrepid have the same weapon/firepower power of the Galaxy?

The Intrepid has more arrays and has double the torpedo launchers.

I believe the Intrepid is essentially the galaxy class in a modernized and smaller package.
    Thoughts?

Well, in terms of raw combat ability I can see the two being in the same weight class (so to speak). But the Intrepid can't handle the range of mission assignments (and lengths) that the Galaxy can.

Well if we use Starship has a comparison and you look at the uprated Galaxy and the Intrepid then the Galaxy has a few advantages over the Intrepid. Yet the Intrepid is nearly in the same league as the Galaxy. I think that a skilled crew manning an Intrepid would beat a Galaxy manned by an average crew.

Outside RPG terms, I really have no clue. I think that the Intrepid has fewer phaser arrays than the Galaxy and it only has a load of 40 (?) torpedoes, whereas the Galaxy has 275. Also the Intrepid is smaller and you would expect that it is not as tough as the Galaxy (story considerations aside, where several Galaxies were lost in TNG/DS9 while Voyager got beaten up for 7 seasons yet returned home in one piece). Then again who knows?

Actually the Galaxy only has 11 (12 depending what source you use) and the Intrepid has a whopping 14 arrays.

I'm thinking of adding another array and a third torpedo launcher to the Starships version to make it equal to the Galaxy.

YOMV

Depending on the source used, I'd go with the Galaxy simply due to the fact that it has far more power to play with and power allows for versatility. The Intrepid just does not have the power to stand against a Galaxy.

Regards,
    CKV.

The number of phaser arrays doesn't mean that much. It's just the amount that they put on a ship to ensure that there are no blind-spots. On a Galaxy, the two main saucer arrays cover the entire forward hemisphere. Intrepids have that arc broken into smaller pieces. It's only on the aft part of a Galaxy that things get split into lots of little arrays becuase they have funny protruding parts they have to see around.

Likewise, while a Galaxy class has only got the two main torpedo tubes, they're those crazy multi-launchers. That's not really a disadvantage.

Ultimately, it comes down the amount of power you can put into your shields and weapons. I think a Galaxy simply has more horsepower.
    "The businessman's job is giving the business."

Actually the Galaxy only has 11 (12 depending what source you use) and the Intrepid has a whopping 14 arrays.
    I stand corrected

Re: Intrepid vs Galaxy

Originally posted by IceGiant
    I believe the Intrepid is essentially the galaxy class in a modernized and smaller package.
    I agree with IceGiant. I think the amount of weapons doesn't really mean much though. The Intrepid class is basically the Constitution-class with as much weapons and shields as a Galaxy class. I think the Galaxy class is designed for longer/further hauls than the Intrepid. I think if Q had left Enterprise-D in the Delta Quadrant, they could've easily managed a 2.75 year cruise back home with a minimal supply loss. This is in no way a negative against the Intrepid class, Voyager did last 7 years by stretching its resources. Besides aren't "Explorer" class ships designed to go for longer between refits/re-fueling?
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

The Intrepid-class is faster and more maneuverable than a Galaxy-class, but the Galaxy-class has a higher over all endurance than a Intrepid. As far as rpg game stats reflect its reallt anybody's ball game. In my opinion as far as combat goes which involves speed and maneruverability I'd have to had the advantage to the Intrepid-class. But if its over all endurance like under taking deep space exploration missions taking her up to a year and a half or more to complete, without any external support or making modifications to the ships resources, then its going to be a Galaxy-class. She was designed with this inj mind being able to take families along and being so massive. Voyager had to make sacrifices and comprimises to extend her consumables. Also the crew's spirits suffered because they were so far from loved ones. Although being 75 years away from would put damper on anyones spirits, but I think the blow would have been softened by having family with you. Yes I remember things didn't go so well for Sisko, but thats part of the risk of being space explorers
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

My impression is that the Intrepid class can put out as much firwpower, and probably has the best sheilding available as well. However, I also suspect the Galaxy class could take an awful lot more of a pounding after it's shields have failed. IMHO the Galaxy class has a lot more extraneous systems (more empty space for future expansion, much more crew quarters and recreational facilities, huge main shuttlebay, many more escape pods, more labs, and so on and so forth).

Yep, the Intrepid is a scaled down Galaxy in my opinion.

Which reminds me, I think way too much emphasis is put on a throwaway line in Voyager about 36 torpedoes. I seriously doubt the ship has that few, and it certainly has the capability to build more should they be needed. Personally, I think 36 is all Voyager had after the initial battles with the Kazon, and standard complement is probably around 80-100. People tend to suggest the Intrepid class couldn't carry many torpedoes because of its small size. Well in fact it isn't actually that small. it's a longer than the original Consitution class, and probably has as much available internal space, even though it has less decks. Deck clearance is much higher on the Intrepid than the connie (about 5 metres as opposed to 2.5).

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Just gonna throw a couple cents in here..

Just as a simple comparison of available internal volume, the Galaxy class approximately 5 and a half million cubic meters as opposed to the Intrepid which stands at about 770,000 m^3.(Which incidently places the Intrepid at about the same size as a Forestal class carrier...)

More important I guess would be the concept of surface area. Yes the Intrepid has 14 phaser arrays, but one needs to look at that with proper perspective.

For example the 2 dorsal arrays atop the Intrepid's saucer is little more than 642 square meters in area with a volume of 2,260 m^3, whereas comparable Galaxy's single dorsay array is 7,891m^2 in area, and over 49,000 m^3 in volume.(YMMV with different models, but this is assuming scaling of a 641m GCS, and a 344m Intrepid)

In fact there's probably more emitter segments in one saucer array than there is on the entire Intrepid class ship...

Just one thing to consider when discussing firepower...ciao.