View Poll Results: Which eras have you played in ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enterpise era

4 11.11%
  • Early Federation (2161-2250)

2 5.56%
  • TOS (2251-2293)

14 38.89%
  • Age of Diplomacy (2294-2363)

8 22.22%
  • TNG / Early DS9 (2364-2372)

20 55.56%
  • Dominion War (2373-2375)

18 50.00%
  • Post DW (2376-2379)

15 41.67%
  • Post-Nemesis (2380- )

10 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll:Which eras have you played in ?

Poll:Which eras have you played in ?

This question came up in our last session of play.Which was best received by your players?Which system did you use?
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

TNG, DS9, and post-DS9. That's where our interests lie, so that's where we've played.

As for systems, we started with a homebrew based on FASA, then moved to ICON, then made the switch to Coda. Coda we likes, yesssss...

My group tends to focus on the latest developments in Trek, so we're usually as far along the timeline as possible. For our current campaign (on hiatus) we're post Nemesis, but we started during the Next Generation era as Academy cadets. I've never been able to interest them in doing anything pre-TNG, except for the occasional flashback or time travel adventure, though I've always wanted to do a TOS-era campaign, which I think would be a lot of fun.

As for systems, we started with our own homebrew system, based on percentile resolution skill tests and designed primarily as a supporting tool for our more roleplaying intensive style. It worked pretty well, and we used it for a long time, but eventually switched over to the Icon version, and then to Coda when it became available (and we could get copies of the Players and Narrators books).

Greg

Movie-period: great ships, great uniforms, loads of threats.

Our main campaign takes place in the post DS9 era, preimarily because -- ignoring voyager -- I can do what I want with the universe without interference from an ongoing series.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Everything but TNG/Early DS9 and TOS.

Seems like it's initially leaning towards post-DW.I forgot to mention my own Series-Dominion War.The Cardie/Domionion Treaty will go into effect during the next ep.Too bad the whole timeline has been erased and the Borg have assimilated the entire Galaxy.I guess the crew will find out about it if they set things right (hey, its the season finale !).It started during the 2nd Klingon war,CODA.

Of the games I have GM'd we have played in all eras but Early Federation, Post-DW and Post-Nemesis. Since each of my campaigns builds upon those that come before we will eventually do Post-DW and Nemesis. I even have a campaign in the works for that now.

Most preferred eras have to be TNG-Early DS9, followed very closely by the Age of Discovery and TOS. This may change as my parallel universe progresses past the war.

Originally we used FASA and eventually switched to ICON. ICON is still in use today as we have no interest in CODA as a group beyond using it for source material.

Regards,
    CKV.

I've been in two TOS campaigns and a DS9-esque campaign.

I've run two Movie Era campaigns and was set to run a third one of late, but got smashed down by my gamers...

I really, really want to run one just post-STVI, where there is the transition from the Old Klingon Empire to the New Klingon Empire, the end of the long cold war and the nervous extension of the hand of friendship. I think this would lead to a fantastic campaign, especially with a split group of gamers with different background material (half Federation, half Klingon)

We'll see

Well, I've run campaigns in the TOS era and the movie era. I've also run campaigns throughout the TNG and DS9/VOY periods, and am currently running three campaigns. Two set shortly after The Motion Picture (one Starfleet, one civilian - both set in the FASA Triangle region). My other campaign is set just after Nemesis, but has been running for years pretty much in tandem with series continuity.

As for systems, we started with FASA back in 1988, which progressed to a modifed homebrew FASA, then eventually swapped over to ICON, then finally to CODA.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I am currently running three campaigns.

#1 Solo-roleplay with a friend of mine in real life. Set in the NX-era as an ex-starfleet Ensign. He was sent to a penal colony after people died becuase of his actions. The klingon took him prisoner and then he fought the Klingon and stole his ship.

#2 Online Forum Game- Game set in 2352, trying to keep out of Enterprises's way, not on an NX class vessel. Has not been played yet.

#3 Online Forum Game- Set in 2378 before Nemisis. Set aboard a Starbase, and has a weird, twisted, and evil plot up ahead.

All use CODA.

Looks like 2364-72 is the most popular.I'll be running a demo or tournament at the LGS mini-con this summer and the poll will help me determine which era would appeal to the widest range of gamers.

L.C. Matt:3 campaigns-sounds like a lot of work.Probably a lot of fun, too.

Any more responses?

For the demo game, might I suggest putting it in the DW for two reasons:

a) This may be the most familiar Trek to prospective players, unless you want to do a lower-decks Voyager game.

b) You can put something of a built-in time limit into the game as the PCs have only so long to complete whatever the mission is before a wave of Dominion ships arrives. It worked well for my demo "Missing Legends" that I ran for ICON.

As for three campaigns, speaking from my own experience they can be a blast but it does require a fair amount of work but the payoff can be great especially if you can tie more then one of them together at various points in those campaigns and especially if it is the finale episode for them both.

I currently have one live solo game going and three PBEMs with another three in the works.

Regards,
    CKV.

Thanks for the tips, CKV.Still have plenty of time before I make a decision on what kind of game it will be, I'll keep yours in mind.I definetly want high "recognition factor".

We started off in '83 - enthusiastically - with FASA (there was nothing else available at the time, obviously) in TME (2285-86 or thereabouts), and continued with that until '91, when we switched to TNG era. We've continued with that, although we gratefully switched over to Icon in '98, and have continued with that ever since. Coda was given its fair shot but the mass consensus seemed to be "It just doesn't feel like Star Trek." We've gone back to Icon (albeit a homebrew) and the Professional Abilities from Coda are slowly but surely getting worked into the mix as the result of high skill levels in Icon - sort of like the way that special maneuvers can be learned in the martial arts for that system. The conversion is nowhere complete as of yet, but we're progressing.

my TOS game is some where between Treks 5 and 6

my TNG/DS9 game is currently set in 2372, i am planning on putting them thru the DW