Thread: DS9 Query Romulan Praetor.

DS9 Query Romulan Praetor.

Hi All,

Does anyone recall if the name of the Praetor of the Romulan Empire was mentioned at all during the DS9 series particularly during the Dominion War arc?

If so what was it and in which episode?

Thanks.

Regards,
    CKV.

I think but I could be wrong but I'm sure it is Neral.

He was in Reunification in the TNG and later rose through the Romulan Senate to become Praetor by the time of the DS9 7th Season episode "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges".
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

i think jon's right
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

As far as I know Neral was listed as Praetor in The Way of D'era only. I don't think that is the case in the series. There were two different actors playing the two roles. Now I know players change in a series, but the Praetor was played by a much older actor then the one who played Neral in the eps "Reunification." If memory serves he was just addressed as "Praetor" in that particular DS9 ep. The only name I recall from the ep was that of Chairman Koval of the Tal Shiar.

I, of course, could be wrong. But as I am one of the biggest Romulan fans on the boards I doubt it.

I believe the CCG lists Neral as Praetor as well, but I don't believe he was ever addressed or credited as such in Inter Arnim Enim Silent Leges (2375). Way back in Reunification (2368) he was only a Proconsul. By 2379, the Praetor in power was named Hiren. It's highly possible that Romulans go through Praetors like Romans did Cæsars... Of course, post-Nemesis, they're going to need another Praetor.

He was identified as Praetor Neral by Section 31 Agent Sloan when he was briefing Dr.Bashir with holographic representations of Romulans to look out for on the way to Romulus.
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Phantom, hate to say this but your wrong

Sorry couldn't resist.

I watched Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges again last night and the Preator as of 2375 was definitely Neral. On the UK Video release there is even a profile of Neral on the inside of the cover of the box.

It clearly states Neral was first seen the TNG episode Reunification as a Proconsul Neral and he was confirmed in early 2374 as Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire by the Continuing Commitee. His family were killed in a Klingon raid around 2350 and his interests include sociology and archeology. His favourite food is Delvan Pudding and his pet sehlat's name is penchu

Should keep you going for a while.

Oh and yes he was played by a different actor but clearly the character is the same.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Hmm, all that was listed in the Way of D'era as well. Didn't realize he was named in the ep. It must have been mentioned very off hand.

Originally posted by Phantom
    Hmm, all that was listed in the Way of D'era as well. Didn't realize he was named in the ep. It must have been mentioned very off hand.
    Yup indeedy.

Infact all of that info came from Doctor Bashir when he was repeating verbatim to Director Sloan the Starfleet Intelligence summary on Neral before he goes on to deliver a similar summary on Chairman Koval (head of the Tal Shiar).

Not very off hand.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Thanks for the heads up as I use Way of D'era but Nemesis threw me as there is a line that basically states that Shinzon was thrown to the wolves after a change in government almost ten years prior to Nemesis so I was trying to reconcile it.

Regards,
    CKV.

10 years prior to Nemesis would be 2369, just after the Klingon War and the Romulan involvement with the Duras clan in Reunification. It's also after Neral was referred to as a Proconsul in that episode, but before Inter Arma..., when he was Praetor. So, it's highly likely that the shift in power was a result of his ascending to the office of Praetor.

This puts certain things in an interesting light - the project to replace Picard with Shinzon is abandoned after Picard becomes a serious thorn in the Romulans' collective backside and a serious player in Galactic affairs...

I was considering putting Neral's rise to the Praetorship around the end of the TNG series but I cannot see him choosing to abandon that plan - perhaps it was part of an agreement he had to make to get some of the backing he needed?

Regards,
    CKV.

Hello,

Not sure how much weight this might carry. The novelization of Nemesis is (I'm quite sure) based on the uncut script of the movie.
    If that is the case, then the name of the Praetor as of Star Trek NEMESIS is Hiren. So, perhaps there was a radical change of government between DS9 and Nemesis....of course, we saw the most radical change in NEMESIS itself.

Just a bit of infew there. (think Dr. Evil when reading that.)

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

"If that is the case, then the name of the Praetor as of Star Trek NEMESIS is Hiren."

This remained and is the name used in the credits to the flick.

I've been speculating about the background to the whole Shinzon thing... Who was behind the plot, and why did they choose Picard?

Obviously, the faction backing Sela wasn't behind it, as Proconsul Neral was running that operation, and as soon as he became Praetor the Shinzon operation was abandoned (why they didn't just kill Shinzon is beyond me - they really need to download a copy of the Guide to Being an Evil Overlord).

Who was in power 20-25 years ago, and what had Picard done to draw such attention? Although he became a Captain at an early age, he really didn't begin to be a mover-and-shaker until after he got command of the E-D. Lots of fodder there for a Romulocentric campaign.

There are sooooo many possibilities behind the intrigues of the Romulans' motivations to usurp Picard's reputation in the Federation.

A theory...and this is only a theory..is that perhaps the spy in Data's Day (TNG) had managed to work with other spies embedded deep within Starfleet and Starfleet Academy. The spies in the academy may have been keeping watch on student records...and Picard may have been so exemplary a student as to be worthy of the Romulans' attention. With so much information gathered over the years, perhaps the spy in Data's Day, who had posed as a respected Vulcan Ambassador had deemed it time to get back to Romulus to implement Operation Shinzon. However, to keep in line with Shinzon growing up at the appropriate time, the Romulans may not have advised the spy of their cancellation of Operation Shinzon. This may sound thin, but it kinda works for me.

As I understand it...Shinzon's aging process could be rapidly accelerated at the right time as to place him within Starfleet after bumping off the real Picard. However, since Operation Shinzon was cancelled, Shinzon was forced to grow up naturally and endure the lash of the Romulan Guards at the Reman Dilithium Mines. And it was this inaction of activating his speed growth process that caused him to suffer serious degenerative effects when he was fully grown.

Anyhoo, that is my theory. I hope perhaps it makes sense to someone out there besides me.

Owen is right, this would make great fodder for a Romulan based campaign. In my fanfiction, which is a direct sequel to Nemesis, I will try to address these issues...as well as create an epic story of the Romulans' intentions for peace with the Federation.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009