Thread: 6/05 Developers Log

6/05 Developers Log

From Decipher's BBS:

Developer's Weblog

It's been a busy week here in Lake Wobegone.

The Isengard sourcebook is progressing nicely, though I still have a few weeks of development ahead. Isengard will be similar to Helm's Deep in that it is part of a series of 'stronghold' books that detail locations in Middle-earth. It does not contains any major new rule systems, such as the mass combat system in Helm's Deep. Instead, it offers an even greater level of detail on the tower, ring-wall, and Wizard's Vale beyond the fortress itself. Isengard also includes a full-length adventure.

My other project for the week has been working on Fields of Battle, the Barbarian/Warrior order book. Since this book will include a lot of new rule options -- including a tactical miniatures system for use in the game -- I anticipate an extensive playtest. Because of that, I'm trying to prepare a playtest draft well in advance of when I need to have a final layout draft ready for our production department. In addition to the tactical miniatures system, Fields of Battle will include a lot of other combat options including critical hits, piecemeal armour, reach attacks with polearms (and Balrog arms), and that kind of thing.

Also, I've been talking with the author of the summer convention adventures scheduled for Origins and GenCon. I've seen the characters he's developed for these adventures, and they're outstanding. The adventures themselves should be coming across my desk in the weeks to come, and although it's possible that all four adventures in the series -- called 'Sword of the Witch-king' -- won't be ready for Origins, they're going to be awesome. The third adventure looks like it will make extensive use of the new mass combat system from Helm's Deep, so that adventure in particular will be a sneak preview of those rules, since Helm's Deep isn't scheduled to come out until August.

Be good, everyone, and have a great weekend!

You're an evil being, CB.

Now I have to add Fields of Battle (where all the Rohirrim women are strong, all the Dunedain men are good-looking, and all the halflings are above average) to my list of must-haves. What kind of timeframe are we looking at for its release date?
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Sounds good, Corpboy.

I'm glad I registered over at this board. I don't believe I've ever seen this type of post so far in advance over at the Decipher.com board. Thanks. We'll definitely be on the watch for "Fields of Battle".

Heh. Beat me to it, CorpBoy.

And actually, celebril, CorpBoy noted that he copied that over from the Decipher boards...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

5. Thumbs up

Fields of Battle - COMBAT!! Time to put the whirling dirvish of Dwarven doom to work and then rework him as a human, then an elf and a hobbittesses --- oooohhh....Grutos the Urukai *big evil grin*....Grutos the Balrog *insanely big evil grin*.....Grutos the Hobbit....*runs in fear*.

Much fear, Grutos the Twig Flinger --- rofl "Melee....me wants melee - 'Wait Grutos, they'll be here soon enough, let the archers weed out a few' - What? That leaves fewer notches in me axe handle!!"
    --------------------

<ul>
    <li><a href="http://ghlbeyerlein.tripod.com"> My web site</a>
    <li> <a href="http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/358/grutos_metallipage.html">My MetalliStation</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/"> United Device's distributive computing Cancer Research Project</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.firstgov.gov">FirstGov.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.tsa.gov/public/index.jsp">TSA.gov</a>
    <li><a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/">Homeland Security</a>

Red face Yeah, Doug, I noticed that no sooner than I posted!

It does seem like the folks over here are on top of things, though. Pretty much all of the people who's posts I most enjoy reading (Doug, Jason, Ineti, etc...) all post over here as well. It's nice to read all of your posts without having to sift through all the bellyaching and negativity so many on the other board seem to thrive on.
    I'd say between the two sites, there's always a little something each day worth perusing. I must thank Ineti for continually pushing for participation here over on the other board.

Originally posted by Sarge
    You're an evil being, CB
    I do so try

Re: Yeah, Doug, I noticed that no sooner than I posted!

Originally posted by celebril
    I must thank Ineti for continually pushing for participation here over on the other board.
    You're welcome. It just seemed silly to me to have people gripe about the crappy Decipher boards when these boards are here and are so much superior, mainly in layout and functionality.

And largely the same cast of characters is here.

Demo runners

So, are you guys looking for people to run a Demo or 2 at the summer cons?