Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis device vs. Species 8472

I'm pretty sure that replicator technology is based on transporter technology. There is no mention of using any of the technology that was applied to the "Genesis" project. As far as the nebula material being the reason why the matrix failed, interesting but idea but I'm not sure I agree. The first small scale test (lab, and cave) were never really elaborated on in the movie. Do you have other sources that talk about this subject? As far as I can remember the only reason given for its failure was the fact that David used protomatter in the makeup of the matrix. This dangerously unstable substance denounced by every ethical scientist in the federation blah blah blah. Anyway I think that if 24th century knowledge were aplied to this technology it could be improved upon increacing its yield to be able to affect at least one A.U. and even though its failure to do what was intended (make class-M planets) it would still make a great weapon against Species 8472, as it would "overwrite" their complete geneome profile. So in effect whatever cool species abilities they have would be erased and they along with their bioships would be transformed by the genesis effect. Of course they would be destroyed by this effect. So this would be a good weapon/defense for starfleet to use. Since for storytelling purposes we need a dramatic way to stop the incursion. As we know from the show and the game they are impervious to starfleet weapons and technology. But a modified torpedo could cause the genesis effect and kill them.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

I don't know, it seems a bit odd that Starfleet would resort to mass genocide of an entire plane of existance over negotiations. Even as a last ditch effort, I don't see Starfleet using the Genesis device against them.

Besides, isn't everything tied to the genesis project destroyed by the time of Voyager?

"I'm pretty sure that replicator technology is based on transporter technology. There is no mention of using any of the technology that was applied to the "Genesis" project."

Well, the actual "science" behind the Genesis Device was never discussed in the movie, but it seems only reasonable that it is itself an outgrowth of transporter technology. Otherwise it just gets into "special lucky magic" technology.

The timing of the replicator's invention is also convenient to this theory - unknown in TOS, and still not in general use in 2293, but common enough that it was considered odd for Maurice and Yvette Picard not to have one in the early 2300's.

Just an opinion, of course - your kilometrage may vary.

"I don't know, it seems a bit odd that Starfleet would resort to mass genocide of an entire plane of existance over negotiations. Even as a last ditch effort, I don't see Starfleet using the Genesis device against them.

Besides, isn't everything tied to the genesis project destroyed by the time of Voyager?"

Well, much of the research would be backed up, I imagine. However, they key to the final Phase III Genesis Experiment, the introduction of protomatter into the equations, would not be generally known - even Carol Marcus apparently did not know. Lieutenant Saavik was told before David Marcus' death, but it is unknown whether she would have passed this information along. Probably she did. The political fallout from the failure of the project, along with the fact that "no reputable scientist" would touch the stuff, would have killed off any further research along those lines, although by the late 2360's some research is being conducted into protomatter. Its use in terrorist weapons is also mentioned.

However, I agree that it's not the type of weapon I can see the Federation using under any circumstances, and especially not to wipe out an entire dimension. Besides, after Janeway's negotiations with "Boothby," it would appear that a certain measure of détente was achieved with Species 8472.

While everything you say is true. The same could have been said at the end of "First Contact" When the Queen of the Borg was killed. Until the writers "brought" them back again, it could have been assumed that the Borg were cripled. Of course we all now know better. I'm simply using Species 8472 the same way. Bringing them back as a "bad guy" to terrify the players. After the threaten the Federation by blowing up half a dozen federation colonies, and with NO other federation weapons that work including Borg enhanced nanoprobe weapons or anyother nifty weapons Starfleet has I think they might resort to whatever they could find to defend and stop the incursion. Unless you think the federation doesn't mind being wiped out! I on the other hand think that after negotiations fail and of course they fail as this will heighten the tension of the adventure as all the players efforts seem to fail this is all being done for dramtic storyteling. Besides the point of the adventure is involve the Dyson sphere as a place to hide from the "unstoppable" enemy that is Species 8472. All of this will be resolved at the adventures climax. Besides the player's will find a way to make peace with Speices 8472
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

For a good take on Genesis I suggest you read the Genesis Wave trilogy by John Vornholt.

Book one: Excellent
    Book two: Good
    Book three: Passable.

Normally I can't stand John Vornholt novels (how would the Voyager EMH put it? Rather lowbrow). But this story isn't too bad.

Overall the story does have a good take on what happened to Genesis (it was covered up after the Genesis Incident) by order of the Federation Council.

The story is a little contradictory after this point as apparantly the Romulans, Cardassians, Klingons, Tholians, Breen and Gorn all signed the Genesis Non-Proliferation Treaty preventing them from developing a Genesis Weapon (although the Klingons were believed to have been in breach of the treaty as the explosion of Praxis was primarily thought to have been the result of a problem at the Genesis labs there). But by signing this treaty all the other races in the Quadrant know what Genesis is so why would Federation then bury it's research.

Anyway. Genesis information was kept by Starfleet Intelligence (but of course) and it was review from time to time but the possibility of the Genesis technology falling into the hands of the Borg or the Dominion was too high meant that nothing was ever done with it. Dr Carol Marcus was kept in protective custody on Pacifica ever since the incident (and was still there as of mid-2375). The Genesis Cave in the Regula 1 asteroid is still thriving as of 2375 as well.

Anyway the books are worth a look and the Genesis Re-evaluation Report in Chapter 12 is fantastic (and not written by the author either).
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Buck, one small suggestion - give the players a few minor successes because if everything fails they may well become frustrated, feel useless and railroaded. That may end up leading them to lose interest in the game.

Regards,
    CKV.

Not to fear, they only fail in the first act, as does much of the fleet. Sort of a "Best of Both Worlds", or "First Contact" thing. Then when the reality of the situation sets in the characters realize that the Dyson Sphere was actually built buy someone from the future for a future battle but in the confusion for some reason it gets sent to the wrong time frame. When the PC's figure this out (don't worry I've provided clues for them) they can solve the problem and make nice with the hostile species 8472.