Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Empok Nor RPG Information Thread

Originally posted by AslanC
    Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have had one busy early summer.

No word yet.

Holding pattern must be maintained
    Communication Recieved

Okay I am putting to final touches on the setting and preparation.

Please PM me if you are still in and what your character's name is.

Remember the game is set in early 2379.

Voyager is canon... shudder. And I guess so is Enterprise... and Nemesis.

Setting is Empok Nor, which as part of the Peace Treaty, is being developed as a station for the Cardassians, by Starfleet.

There will be various diplomats on board as well... etc.

Questions?

Remember the game is set in early 2379.
    Now that's a nice surprise (from my POV at least).

Voyager is canon... shudder. And I guess so is Enterprise... and Nemesis.

Now getting rid of some of this canon in the game's timeline I wouldn't mind at all.

I'm still in as per our previous discussion but I'll PM you the character once I've slept.

Regards,
    CKV.

Aslan, three questions:

(1) Any idea when the game will actually start? I don't want to pressure you, but I'll have to make sure I have some dice available at my workplaye once the game starts, to make up for the difference in time zones Žbetween all the people who may be involved.

(2) A while ago you told my (IIRC) that BrianK was the man to talk to about late changes to the character I mailed you, at least concerning rules-stuff. Is that still so?

(3) See above in this thread for my question on who will be stationed at Empok Nor for how long before the game starts and how to handle possible prior acquaintance between some of the characters.

Originally posted by Lancer
    Aslan, three questions:
    Okay shoot

(1) Any idea when the game will actually start? I don't want to pressure you, but I'll have to make sure I have some dice available at my workplaye once the game starts, to make up for the difference in time zones Žbetween all the people who may be involved.
    Soon, I can't say when soon, but very very soon now.

(2) A while ago you told my (IIRC) that BrianK was the man to talk to about late changes to the character I mailed you, at least concerning rules-stuff. Is that still so?
    Brian has been very busy, so i would recommend you CC to me.

aslanc@netaxis.ca

(3) See above in this thread for my question on who will be stationed at Empok Nor for how long before the game starts and how to handle possible prior acquaintance between some of the characters.
    Well the setting is going to be heavily tweaked. I realized I was just creating DS9 II and that isn't interesting to me.

It will be on Empok Nor, but I think I am going to really give it a once over.

Less Federation and other governments, more Cardassians and local groups (bajorans, Tzenkethi, Ferengi, etc...)

Should still be a good game though

And no that doesn't mean you can't play a Feddie or a KDF or a Rommie guy/gal.

Honest Question

I want to do something more... I dunno.

Gritty.

I have resited the urge to set this Movie Gen, since most here are opposed to it (and I would make some rather large Canon changes after Trek IV)

I have found ways to make the Klingons and Romulans become somewhat of what I want.

But I want this game to have a gritty side to it.

Still based on Empok Nor, still set post Nemesis.

Any thoughts?

Let me know about your thoughts for the Klingons as it will affect my character and i'll think of something!

Originally posted by Karg
    Let me know about your thoughts for the Klingons as it will affect my character and i'll think of something!
    The Klingons will be as you expect them to be, but there will be changes afoot

Gritty in what manner specifically?

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Gritty as in not clean and pretty. Not morally black & white, not nice a lot of the times.

Does that help?

Re: Honest Question

I want to do something more... I dunno.

Gritty.

I have resited the urge to set this Movie Gen, since most here are opposed to it (and I would make some rather large Canon changes after Trek IV)

I have found ways to make the Klingons and Romulans become somewhat of what I want.

But I want this game to have a gritty side to it.

Still based on Empok Nor, still set post Nemesis.

Any thoughts?
    Hmm, I guess a large part depends on what you want to do with the Cardies. If their government is unstable and/or split into a lot of different fractions you could turn Empok Nor into a sort of "Casablanca" in outer space; refugees, spies, intrigue, moral ambiguity, etc. etc.
    Over time you could steer the station towards independence and true neutrality, unless that sounds too "B5 Mk.II" to you.

Aslan,

as this game has been on hold for so long, do you think it's time for another "who is still on board" check, or have you been keeping track of this off-forum?

While I am still interested enough in playing to not care much (if any) myself about how many people will actually play I thought I might bring it up anyway.

I don't know about others but for me I'm still on board
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Gritty, eh?

Well, Lancer is certianly right about the nature of the Cardassian authorities having a lot to do with that. The nature of the Federation presence will also have a lot to do with it. If there is a substantial cadre of Starfleet officers, their institutional ethos will influence those around them. Likewise, if they can expect a couple Nebula-class starships to ride in to the rescue and enforce the peace if things get a little dicey, their authority will have more weight.

However, if you've got a slightly understaffed Federation crew on the station to try and train the "locals" (who seem to have divided loyalties among themselves), a bit of tension with Klingon allies, serious diplomatic cooling with the Romulans after that whole "Shinzon" debacle, mix liberally with Ferengi, the Orion Sindicate, and a half-dozen others with their own agendas, and the Starfleet personnel suddenly have to pick their battles.

So my suggestions, in a nutshell, are:

1) Dilute the Federation presence. Limited manpower, resources, and force will force Starfleet characters to find some sort of "work around," even if it isn't quite by the regs.

2) Keep all the major sources of law and order a few steps removed. Even if Empok Nor is a strategically important location, it isn't high enough on the list of the major powers. So long as the resources keep flowing to Cardassia, it isn't quite worth the effort necessary to fully police things.

3) Watch plenty of westerns and old crime movies, and plunder them for ideas.

-Chris Landmark
    (For some reason, I just got the image of an old, one-eyed Klingon warrior facing down a bunch of punks on the promenade, a disruptor rifle in each hand, belowling, "Fill your hands you Son of a Targ!")
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune