Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Empok Nor RPG Information Thread

Some more thoughts concerning "gritty":

IIRC you mentioned that the ore-processing plant will be active on Empok Nor, as there are a lot of mineral rich asteroids around. Why don't you say that the Cardie government has leased the processing plant to private interests to pay for the costs involved in maintaining such a station? That would allow you to have all kinds of conflicts between station personnel, factory owners (less that honest capitalists) and independent miners.

As an extension of the above, why not place the conflicts that make the setting "gritty" outside the station and have the station personnel trying to maintain a position of neutrality and/or lawenforcement in all the conflicts that would be brought to the station by outside influences? IMHO it would be a lot easier (for you and us as well) to have the conflicts that we have to deal with come come to the station from the outside, rather than to establish a gritty setting on the 'inside'.

If you combine the two ideas Empok Nor could be the "gold rush" frontier town that sees all kinds of strive between mine owners, independent prospectors, settlers who would rather not have their colony turned into a big stripmine, etc. etc.
    In a "wild west" sense that would place us in the role of the "honest lawmen" trying to cope with all the difficulties a frontier setting brings to town. There could be claim jumpers, greedy businessmen (with political influence maintained by healthy bribes), new settlers, etc. etc.

I think the key point here is to keep the "gritty" influences as an outside element that has to affect the station, instead of centering the conflicts on the station personal (at least initialy). That should allow us enough room to develop our characters, while at the same time allowing you to introduce the "gritty" elements of the setting at whatever pace you feel like and fits our style of gameplay.

Good call Lancer. Once again.

Nothing further to add.

-Chris Landmark
    (I've got to stop working these 12 hour days...)
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

I like some of your ideas there Lancer. Good thinking. I think i shall incorporate some of them for sure

Beyond that work is progressing slowly.

I know you have heard this before, but...

Soon

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    "honest" lawmen

*snicker*

Must be that Orion in me.

Nice ideas, Lancer. (And, yes, I'm still here )
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Hey there guys

Greetings from deepest, darkest New Brunswick (no not in New Jersey).

I am on vacation right now, all by myself at the family cottage (April loaned me her lap-top for the journey) and have been taking some time to figure things out.

Look, I won't mince words.

As some of you have already figured out or suspected, this game just isn't going to happen.

I apologize to all of you for how long it took to get to this decision, but it has been a big spring and early summer for me and I am only catching my legs right now.

I just don't have the desire to do this. In fact I find my over all interest in gaming waneing after almost 20 years.

I think you all came up with some great ideas and I am truely sorry this isn't going to go, but I can't run something half assed, and that is what it would be if I did it.

I hope you understand, and if you don't, that's cool too cause I understand that you don't.

Just don't hate me...

Again, I apologize for wasting your time and your hopes.

Feel free to give me shit now.

No worries, Aslan.

It's a shame about the game, but what's the point of having fun if you have to force yourself to it?

I do hope your interest in gaming in general will return though, even if it's not enough to run a PBFP game.

Joe
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

Thanks Joe

You know I don't know what it is. My BTVS game will be wrapping up this month (April ismoving to California) and I can't even begin to think of what to run for the group after.

It is very very very strange to say the least.

I just haven't got the fire like before.

I mean I barely ever post here (or on the BTVS forums either).

Maybe it was the Empok Nor setting, or the whole Play-By-Post aspect. I can't really hammer it down.

I hope I am not losing interest in gaming period, I mean I have loved it for so long.

No worries Aslan. I've been where you are at regarding gaming and I can say with certainty trying to force it will just make your overall attitude and burn out worse.

Take the break, set it all aside and give yourself some time away from gaming. Eventually, the fire will return but it will take longer if you try and continue to do something that you don't currently have a passion for and it turns into a chore.

I did and it almost killed my love of gaming completely, I still in some ways cannot bring myself to find the enthusiasm I used to have for Trek and gaming in that universe as a GM.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

I know what you mean.

It seems my love of Trek has almost evaporated.

I dunno, I guess I just out grew it maybe. I dunno.

Deep down I know it is still there but it has to come back on its own. I can still play in a game mostly PBEMs as that doesn't require as much effort but GMing just doesn't grab me right now.

The passion is not there right now and in some ways that is sad but I know with enough time it will come back and I am sure if you give it a rest you will find the same Aslan.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Oh Well, Do what you must, Take some time off. It'll probably come back. You've had quite a lot going on lately.

Well this is sad news of course, but this is your game Aslan.
    I just hope for you that your love of Trek and gaming has not evaporated (you're the second person on this board I heard say that... this is beginning to worry me).
    But hey, sometimes we have to find other hobbies. That's part of us growing and learning.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I am in the same place with regard to roleplaying, Aslan, so do not beat yourself up over this. Frankly, I can barely muster interest to play these days, let alone gamemaster. Part of it is the lack of available exceptional players in my area: my Pendragon experiences of years past spoiled me immensely when it comes to what I expect from players, and a large part of me does not want to settle for less. Personally, I intend to stick with other forms of game-playing (board games, card games, etc.), and leave the roleplaying by the wayside for the time being.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Well, I'll start out by offering a hearty "Bummer," because I was looking forward to actually playing in a game for once; usually I have to be the GM in order to get my fix.

That aside, I can't blame you, Aslan. I've been there myself on occasion. Writers call it "writer's block," artists call it "artist's block," and for some reason gamers call it "burnout" but they're all essentially the same thing. Back off, do other things, and eventually the creativity banks will recharge and some day when you least expect it you'll find yourself thinking, "hey, I've got a great idea for a game I'd like to run..."

Meanwhile, it's been two years (and counting) since I've played in a game that I wasn't GMing, and while I've still got stuff I'd love to run, just once in a while I'd like to be on the other side of the dice... Though at my last game one of the players was looking through some L5R books, so perhaps I can employ my powers of persuasion.

>GM Mind Trick< You will cut me in on some samurai action... >/GM Mind Trick<

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Originally posted by Chris Landmark
    >GM Mind Trick< You will cut me in on some samurai action... >/GM Mind Trick<
    I'd go for a different wording Chris. He could misunderstand you and "cut you down with some samurai action".