Thread: Coda vs Icon

Coda vs Icon

I've thinking of getting the Icon Lug core book just for fun since one can get them less than 10 dollars these days. I was wondering.. what are the differences between coda and icon and their pros and cons.. just curious

ICON doesn't have professions/classes. You just puy skills, ability scores and advantages.
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

The Coda system seems to cover more. You have inititave rolls instead of using whatever skill you are about to use to determine who acts first. The mechanics lend itself to more of a Star Trek feel to the game.
    Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

Personally I LOVE the starship combat rules for Coda. They are far superior to the LUG trek. In every way they are much better. Also the rest of the Coda rules system is just generally better, in my opinion.
    "Target all your firepower on the nearest Federation starship!" Yoda, Episode II

I think the ICON system is great for anyone who has fond memories of the old FASA game.

I am middling on CODA over all, but love the starship rules

Also the NG is the best RPG book I have ever read.

Very shortly :

CODA's pros :
    - Excellent starship combat
    - Better resolution system (no drama die)
    - Easier character creation and evolution (no more of "what if I get the same skill twice")
    - No drama die
    - Professional abilities (a nice way to customise your character)
    - No drama die
    - Excellent starship creation rules
    - No drama die
    - Broader range for skills and attributes
    - No drama die
    - More detailed healing rules
    - No drama die
    - More useful courage points

CODA's cons :
    - Horrible layout for the PG and the character sheet
    - Less detailed combat rules
    - More rigid character developement (because of the professions)
    - No guidelines for creating one's own profession or professional ability

A few other will probably come to mind later, but these are the most important to me. Oh, and also the fact that CODA doesn't use the drama die.
    Last edited by C5; 06-17-2003 at 02:03 AM.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I prefer CODA to ICON though I prefer skill based systems, but the strong points about the old books is that all the descriptions and background they contains are still valid in CODA-Trek.
    Hoping You'll understand all of this

ICON vs. CODA - The Eternal Question

After a long debate over which system to use in my upcoming Star Trek game, I am leaning more strongly towards ICON.

I like ICON because I find it more user-friendly, with not as high a leaning curve as CODA. I also happen to think that it is still an excellent system. I also like the amount of fan produced source material that is available.

Is CODA a more detailed system? Yes...but I still feel more at home with ICON. It's simpler, easier to grasp, and quicker to pick up.

Will I continue to support the CODA line by purchasing Decipher's products? Absolutely! They are excellent sourcebooks, and a mine of information.