Thread: Another Extended Edition DVD thread

Another Extended Edition DVD thread

I wanted to ask this on the "DVD extend or not" thread, but it didn't seem on-topic enough to ask.

Does anyone else have a problem with extended edition DVD's that don't play quite right on your player? I'm wondering if it's my wonderfully crappy "under $100" DVD player, or how the movie was put together.

Some examples from my collection:

Terminator 2 - This is a combo DVD (extended and theatrical modes) and it seems to repeat or skip a second or two where the new material is spliced in.

X-Men - another combo. This one is horrid to watch in extended mode. In places 10 or 15 seconds of film gets repeated, or I see both the theatrical scene and the extended scene back-to-back. I'm almost positive that this isn't my player.

Matrix - This one isn't even an extended DVD, and it has about 10 places on it where it backs up a second or two and replays the same film over.

LOTR: FOTR - This is the ONLY extended edition DVD that I own that looks like it could have been what was in the theatres.

Any thoughts?

Re: Another Extended Edition DVD thread

Originally posted by CorpBoy

X-Men - ... I see both the theatrical scene and the extended scene back-to-back. I'm almost positive that this isn't my player.
    I've seen a PS2 do something like this with Starship Troopers.

But it only did it once, and we never figured out how to replicate it.
    Gabriel Alexander Vampyre

Re: Another Extended Edition DVD thread

I wanted to ask this on the "DVD extend or not" thread, but it didn't seem on-topic enough to ask.

Does anyone else have a problem with extended edition DVD's that don't play quite right on your player? I'm wondering if it's my wonderfully crappy "under $100" DVD player, or how the movie was put together.

Some examples from my collection:

Terminator 2 - This is a combo DVD (extended and theatrical modes) and it seems to repeat or skip a second or two where the new material is spliced in.

X-Men - another combo. This one is horrid to watch in extended mode. In places 10 or 15 seconds of film gets repeated, or I see both the theatrical scene and the extended scene back-to-back. I'm almost positive that this isn't my player.

Matrix - This one isn't even an extended DVD, and it has about 10 places on it where it backs up a second or two and replays the same film over.

LOTR: FOTR - This is the ONLY extended edition DVD that I own that looks like it could have been what was in the theatres.

Any thoughts?
    I have heard of these errors and it has always been the DVD player. The Matrix one for instance was a big deal when it first came out because some older and/or cheap DVD could not play it properly (your errors) because it could not read the new kind of format it was recorded on. This could be a RAM issue or many other things. I really wish I could remember the exact reason why. I own all of them and my DVD player does not have this problem (then again I have a killer entertainment system).

Like you said you paid $100 dollars for the DVD player...as the saying going, "You get what you pay for..."
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

On some of those DVD's that you mentioned....I think those were DVD's which had an option to reinsert the deleted scenes in their appropriate spots. I think the original Xmen DVD did that...not sure if Xmen 1.5 does.

The only extended DVD's that seem to not exhibit such a problem are those which are genuinely restored to their Director's Cuts.
    Terminator 2 The Ultimate Edition DVD had a hidden "third" version of the film which showed the absolute, uncut version of the film, even with the scenes that James Cameron felt were unnecesary for the Director's Cut. I don't think I noticed any transitional errors in this third version, and I played this on my Playstation 2. (The only bitch I have about the original PS2 models is that their drivers tend to wear out fast....and now, my PS2 won't read multi-layer DVD's anymore. I think the upgraded PS2's out now, and will rectify this problem.)

BTW, for those who may not be aware of the third "uncut" version of T2. Do the following:

(note: It must be T2: The Ultimate Edition DVD)

Start playing the "Director's Cut" of the film. When the film starts playing, go directly to the film's menu. (Do not hit Stop! Just hit the menu button.) Then, enter "03" for the title...and start the movie again. If this is done right, you will now be able to watch the "Extended Director's Cut" with another five minutes of footage in addition to the 15 restored to the "director's cut" and the "alternate ending" of Terminator 2.

I am pretty sure that was the procedure.

Respectfully,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Arrow Re: Another Extended Edition DVD thread

If you're referring to X-Men 1.5 and using the enhanced viewing mode to watch the deleted scenes "added" to the main film, then don't view them. I thought the DVD editors would make a smooth scene transition but it was just pasted on.

I have no problem watching my Matrix DVD. Sounds more like your player. But to be sure, exchange that DVD for a new one, if you can.

It could have been, but then I would have missed a lot of scenes. Somehow at my thirtysomething age, my bladder can't hold a Medium-sized soft drink. At some point I would have to hit the restroom.

I'm just glad the LOTR:FOTR extended edition is available on DVD, complete with chapter breakdown and more imporantly the use of my player's PAUSE button in case I need a break.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Arrow Re: Re: Another Extended Edition DVD thread

Originally posted by T'lara

Like you said you paid $100 dollars for the DVD player...as the saying going, "You get what you pay for..."
    Don't some manufacturers offer patch, which you download and burn onto a CD and then play it on the player who will do the update/upgrade/fix?

I remember having to visit my player's web site (Apex Digital) for any support. Of course there is no new tech update for my player but there are two firmware for older players.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer