Thread: Unarmed Combat: LUG Homebrew Rules

Unarmed Combat: LUG Homebrew Rules

I noticed this subject in the Coda area, and wondered how the population for this forum have adapted/changed the LUG rules for their own purposes. Hand-to-hand scraps are an enduring staple of our games - if the episode ends without beats being laid, there's something really wrong here - and the quality of such situations counts for a great deal with the game's final grade.

The rough and unfinished unarmed combat stuff in Coda was one of the foremost reasons my Crew and I decided to (largely) chuck that system, but we've ended up making a few adjustments for Icon as well. Our biggest change is that we've substituted the base damage for an attack (2 for punch, 3 for kick, and so on) with the character's Fitness level, plus Strength edge, plus whatever bonuses the technique carries: we thought it a trifle ludicrous that someone with a Fitness 1, Strength +2 can do more damage on a straight punch than someone with an unadulterated Fitness 5.

Another rule of thumb is that the Difficulty level is based on the straight punch - 6 - with no modifiers. A kick, at Difficulty 7, carries one (1) extra point of damage. Thus, generally, the higher Difficulty the technique carries, the greater proportional damage it will do. Add-ons (stun, etc.) may add Difficulty.

So, what homebrew rules has the rest of the population here come up with?

Well, I use the Martial Arts summaries from the Computer Core section of TrekRPGnet:

http://www.trek-rpg.net/trek/core/martial_arts.pdf

I found using this unified some rules which had gotten slightly confusing trying to combine the stuff with in the Core Books with the stuff in the Player's Guide. My players liked it too.

Oh, absolutely; the individual who crafted that particular work - I don't remember the name offhand, unfortunately - brought the HTH aspect of the game to a level of polish undreamed of in the FASA version, in our Crew's humble opinion. The bits I wrote of above are the small tweaks we've tacked on over the last five years. Otherwise, the Martial Arts addendum was an excellent expansion to the system introduced in the Player's Guide.

Anyone know where I can find the PDF?

I was going through the site and saw the thread. I was wondering if anyone knew where I can find a current link to the Martial Arts PDF? I am in the process of rebuilding my reference materials after a computer crash wiped out everything.

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Try Owen's Memory Icon, i'm sure he'll have a copy there, if not i know i have a copy at home,

Mem Icon can be found here:-

http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Can't find it on Owen website.
    I'm interested in taking a look to it aswell

When i joined the board the website was already down so i missed a lot of great things i think
    Romuald "Pantoufle" Theate

Is this what you're all talking about?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Thx a lot
    Romuald "Pantoufle" Theate

Thank you

Thanks Redwood, that was the file I was looking for.

Memory ICON

That would certainly be a good addition to Memory ICON, but tracking down the author for permission might be tricky at this point.

Actually, I have managed to locate it in the former Trek-RPG materials passed to me by Don, but it's in a section I haven't had time to deal with yet.

Glad to be of help.

I found my notes for some additions to the .pdf which I never got around to doing. Some stuff from Steve Long for Betazoids and some stuff I assume to be Kirk-Fu. Give me a few days and maybe by the middle of next week I can have a few pages of additional stuff.

Oh, the original .pdf was done by Old Soldier from Erie, Pennsylvania. I don't think he's been around for sometime now. He only posted something like 50 times if I recall correct, and the last time was the middle of 2001.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Okay, after checking my notes I was able to discard most of them as they were already in Old Soldier's .pdf file. All that remained was somethings someone (Evan I believe) converted from B5, and Steve Long's Betazoid stuff.

Maybe someone will find this useful, but you may want to find Mr. Long's post on the topic of his Betazoid Martail Art. If explains in detail the finer points which had to be discarded for this file.

Note: the file is seven pages in the format/style of the original .pdf file. I will correct and make adjustments to the file if you find any errors or have input.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steven "redwood973" Wood