View Poll Results: Fave ST film and why?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Motion Picture

2 4.88%
  • The Wrath of Khan

16 39.02%
  • The Search for Spock

1 2.44%
  • The Voyage Home

2 4.88%
  • The Final Frontier

0 0%
  • The Undiscovered Country

6 14.63%
  • Generations

1 2.44%
  • First Contact

10 24.39%
  • Insurrection

1 2.44%
  • Nemesis

2 4.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite ST film and why

Favourite ST film and why

I'm amazed this poll hasn't been done before.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

First Contact. There's everything I like in this movie : lots of action and suspense, humor, time travel (yeah, I happen to be one of those twisted individuals who love time travel stories), and a vengeful Captain....
    The concept of Borg Queen is the only flaw I see in this movie.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Star Trek 6. It was relevant, funny, dramatic and generally entertaining
    "Whom do you serve?"
    "The Truth"
    "What is the truth?"
    "That we are one people, with one voice"
    "Will you follow me into fire, will you follow me into dartkness, will you follow me into death?"
    "Yes"
    "Then follow"
    - Dukhat & Delenn, In the Beginning

ST: 2

TWOK. This movie was the first to provoke emotion from me.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

The Undiscovered Country.Great plot,the courtroom scene was awesome,and the best presentation of Spock ever.

Kind of a tough choice,though.First Contact would have to be a runner up.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

TWOK. Why? Because it wasn't truly a 'Star Trek' movie: it was Hornblower in space -- and it was the right tack to take. The characters were more realistic -- especially the 'deconstructionist' Kirk (the man behind the TOS myth, so to speak.) The space battle was cool. The performances were overall good. The killed a major character in a meanful way (then f'ed it up by bringing him back.) It had all the nautical trappings that made this more believable and fun for me, including the British army-like uniforms with the Napoleonic flap/double breast thing.

A close second is the director's edition of The Motion Picture. Hey, they put the character stuff back in and cut the 45 hours of V'ger flyby. Suddenly, it's a good movie.

I liked TUC & 1st C, as well, but Khan was Trek for a lot of my generation...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Despite the fact that I seem to recall that it has been done, a long while ago (that, or I was under the effect of a 12-hours-before-the--mostly-white-computer-screen-to-have-my-semester-papers-done-in-time-induced delirium), I'd say TUC, with TWOK an extremely close second, probably a tie, were it not for the fact that I saw TUC before TWOK, and they being of comparable quality IMHO (apart for some of the special effects of TWOK, but I was raised on TNG, which I absolutely did not understand at the time, mainly because my parents watched it in english at home), only the fact that The Undiscovered Country convinced me to watch the other movies (that and to actually follow DS9 and reruns of TNG, which went in my mind from being uninteresting series to something I could very easily lose a few hours of my time to with ease each week), and was the first makes it "superior" in my mind.

FIRST CONTACT
    Why:

- The Borg, kicking a** for the last time before Voyager neutered them (I liked the Borg Queen too, despite the fact that it was the first stage in the neutering process. The first shot of her descending from the ceiling is brilliant).
    - The Enterprise-E (Damn fine looking ship. I went to see FC with a couple of friends who were not Trek fans. One of them was about to walk out when he saw the shot of the E-E leaving the nebula. That got him to sit tight for the rest of the movie).
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

Search for Spock.

Having lived in San Francisco, and been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium I had the pleasure of seeing many familar sights. The take on current society and politics is very interesting. The sight of the Golden Gate Bridge in all its glory. The scene where Sulu meets his great great grandfather. And the cut scene where he was to pinned CAPT . . . made it all worth it.

First Contact, then Undiscovered Country are my next two.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Originally posted by JALU3
    Search for Spock.
    I think you mean "The Voyage Home"

Cool Re: Favourite ST film and why

Originally posted by JonA

I'm amazed this poll hasn't been done before.
    I swear this is deja vu.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

It's a pretty tough choice

I think TWOK, TVH, TUC and 1st Contact are all on par with each other

Sorry, Sorry . . . a little tipsy

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Undiscovered Coutry for me

Interesting plot, a reflection of the then-current situation (like Old Trek), and a grandeur and heaviness often missing from the other films.

After that, I go TWOK & STIV in a split

Then First Contact

All the others, not even rated in my mind; pretty much forgettable.

I have to say the St: IV The Voyage Home. I hated Kirk on TOS and liked him in the movies, but this was a great movie and very funny, especially when Spock goes into San Francisco. The first time I saw it I analyzed it and got all the Trek bits out of it, now I just watch it for comedic relief and a cool plot. I love this movie!